CaRT Bashing or Time for Action?

Midnight

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Midnight said:

https://www.narrowboatworld.com/12654-a-positive-future

Thoughts on the article please (I can guess thoughts on NBW)

Some interesting reading on that site at the moment and not to much fact, One boat at a time through Harecastle Tunnel in one posting and in another someone insisting they go first if there is a group of boats, I hope he doesn't turn up behind me.

CaRT bashing is easy and fun. Action sounds like hard work. 

Rent strikes can work. A lot of students are doing it now after being lured to Uni by being told everything will be normal, then effectively locked up. Takes a significant proportion of those affected to actually do it to be effective, otherwise the few will be victimised, split up and defeated. I suspect boaters are too diverse a group to make it work and as easy to herd as cats. What would be a clear, simple demand, or set of demands to rally round? More Maintenance, Fewer Silly Signs?

Jen

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Some interesting reading on that site at the moment and not to much fact, One boat at a time through Harecastle Tunnel in one posting and in another someone insisting they go first if there is a group of boats, I hope he doesn't turn up behind me.

When I went through this year there were at least five of us. It's usually about 40 minutes with boats a few minutes apart. Can't see it saving CRT any money, it'll cost them as much having to deal with the bookings.

37 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

When I went through this year there were at least five of us. It's usually about 40 minutes with boats a few minutes apart. Can't see it saving CRT any money, it'll cost them as much having to deal with the bookings.

They are only open for 8 hrs in the summer, not 12

2 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

You can bash a cart too much.

Broken Cart On Grassy Field : Stock Photo

Looks as if the wheels are finally about to fall off your wagon

Crt was designed to facilitate "the revolving door of wealth"...The only people benefiting from crt are the self-important at the top!,(Corporate Room Thieves!).

In my experience,there is far too much apathy from many boaters.It seems they are far too concerned with who moors where,for how long and for why.The reflectiveness  of peoples paint,and whether decks are kept clear,or loaded with logs,pushbikes and solar panels!....And then,of course,there's us "scabby liveaboards" (not my words!). Also,quite a few I have met are afraid of enforcement action being taken against them if they do complain!,(i complained during "lockdown",when hundreds of people a day were filing past my front door!.I now no longer receive their "boaters updates"...they removed me from their mailing list!!).

As for the "only 11% from licences",this is "spin",to make it look like boaters contribute very little.Indirect income from boaters is smeared,and made to look like it comes from marina operators and moorings etc.

I would join a rent strike TODAY!:P

Keep calm and start a revolution.....Follow me....Im right behind you!?

First time I've looked at Narrowboat World for a long time.

It used to have several regular contributors giving their point of view as sell as Victor's sensationalist diatribe. Looks like they have all left.

Perhaps he disagreed with them, like he did with the posters on his shortlived "forum"?

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

First time I've looked at Narrowboat World for a long time.

It used to have several regular contributors giving their point of view as sell as Victor's sensationalist diatribe. Looks like they have all left.

Perhaps he disagreed with them, like he did with the posters on his shortlived "forum"?

Yes

4 hours ago, Midnight said:

https://www.narrowboatworld.com/12654-a-positive-future

Thoughts on the article please (I can guess thoughts on NBW)

I thought that the stoppage programme was put out for consultation in plenty of time for comments to be taken into account. I wonder what sort of response they get?

16 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Yes

I thought that the stoppage programme was put out for consultation in plenty of time for comments to be taken into account. I wonder what sort of response they get?

Which stoppage programme? The winter maintenance, the fix it when navigation is closed or the all year round Yorkshire stoppage programme?

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

^^^^^^^^^^ spot on I nominate Jen-in-wellies for leader of the revolution

Do we canal boaters have a "union".An organisation that can speak for the majority.?

I am not in favour of witholding licence fees,but perhaps an elected representative who can solicit opinions/complaints/ suggestions from the electorate and put them in Mr.Parry's conch pink ear might result in improvements to our waterways.

Was that a pink pig that just flew by? ?

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

Do we canal boaters have a "union".An organisation that can speak for the majority.?

I am not in favour of witholding licence fees,but perhaps an elected representative who can solicit opinions/complaints/ suggestions from the electorate and put them in Mr.Parry's conch pink ear might result in improvements to our waterways.

Was that a pink pig that just flew by? ?

I think the IWA did something like that in the past. The only organisation which seems to have any spirit atm is the NBTA but they represent moorers rather than boaters.

13 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I think the IWA did something like that in the past. The only organisation which seems to have any spirit atm is the NBTA but they represent moorers rather than boaters.

Don't forget NABO ...

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

1 hour ago, Iain_S said:

Don't forget NABO ...

And there lies the problem.

Divide and rule.

What is needed sded is one proactive organisation that represents ALL boaters.

• Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

And there lies the problem.

Divide and rule.

What is needed sded is one proactive organisation that represents ALL boaters.

I have never understood why an already existing organisation that has contacts in Government and the EU policy makers is by Rotal Assent, and, already represents ALL branches of boating (including Canals, and runs canal based training courses) is frowned upon by the inland waterway users - maybe it is the name.

Royal Yachting Association.

https://www.rya.org.uk/courses-training/courses/inland-waterways/Pages/hub.aspx

They have done more to stand up against European governments re Red Diesel than any canal organisation.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 3