Wheel or Tiller on a widebeam

Lady J

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Bod said:

Could a wheel be fitted on both sides of a wide-beam?

Bod.

Technically possible I would say, necessary? Probably not.

Plenty of boats have dual helm position but not normally in that config. on a canal/river widebeam.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Technically possible I would say, necessary? Probably not.

Plenty of boats have dual helm position but not normally in that config. on a canal/river widebeam.

I have a dual helm on the cruiser (14 foot beam) - Upstairs Starboard side and downstairs Port side,  but on the Cat (23 foot beam) only a single help position on the Port side.

34 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I was responding to an irrelevant comment, hence the content.

I dont post on here to garner your approval of the content so if its all the same to you I will file your comment in 'of no further interest'. 

As to experience well you are wrong fella. Not that its any of your business but Ive been boating on and off since I was about 11 years old, (im now 61) that includes sailing dingies, river boating and narrowboating. Both as an owner and a serial hire boater (and the son of an avid hire boater).

As I say all your posts show nothing that leans towards anyone with any technical experience or worthwhile experience that is worth listening too.

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

As I say all your posts show nothing that leans towards anyone with any technical experience or worthwhile experience that is worth listening too.

As I say, I have filed your posts in the cabinet marked 'of no further interest' now run along.

4 minutes ago, Bod said:

Viewing down either side, whilst being able to steer.

Bod

As I've said, this idea that one needs to see down the sides of a boat to steer through a gap or under a bridge is nonsense. How many narrowboaters look down the sides of their boats when entering a narrow lock?

I suspect that most people suggesting these things have never steered a widebeam for any length of time. I've owned a widebeam for 15 years so I do know what I'm talking about.

Edited by blackrose

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

As I've said, this idea that one needs to see down the sides of a boat to get it through a gap or under a bridge is nonsense. How many narrowboaters look down the sides of their boats when entering a narrow lock?

Guilty as charged, well more usually going into a wide lock after another boat has gone in.

Though TBH I cant really say why if pressed.

6 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

That doesn't seem to stop many other contributors to the forum:icecream:

Howard

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

As I've said, this idea that one needs to see down the sides of a boat to steer through a gap or under a bridge is nonsense. How many narrowboaters look down the sides of their boats when entering a narrow lock?

I suspect that most people suggesting these things have never steered a widebeam for any length of time. I've owned a widebeam for 15 years so I do know what I'm talking about.

Agreed - if you look down the one side and are 'just clear' then there is plenty of room on the other side, and, 'looking' doesn't make it any wider.

The 23 foot beam Cat (I keep referring to) has single steering on the rear Port quarter, you cannot see the Starboard side, but you 'know' where it is - just like the comparison with the car - you cannot see all 4 corners but you don't hit things (well, SWMBO does when reversing !)

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Agreed - if you look down the one side and are 'just clear' then there is plenty of room on the other side, and, 'looking' doesn't make it any wider.

The 23 foot beam Cat (I keep referring to) has single steering on the rear Port quarter, you cannot see the Starboard side, but you 'know' where it is - just like the comparison with the car - you cannot see all 4 corners but you don't hit things (well, SWMBO does when reversing !)

It is worth perhaps mentioning people can have differing levels of spatial awareness. Some people may feel more comfortable bring able to see down both sides?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

23 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I usually glance dwn the side when approaching a lock. One glance gives line, position and angle, plus rate of change of all three.

I also do it steering a widebeam on the new bridges on the E&G Union. The old bridges are no problem; just aim for the second stone out from the keystone.

Edited by Iain_S
speeling

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why ?

It is personal choice, there are no rules making compulsory.

I wasnt suggesting otherwise,

I made the fatal mistake of not adding IMHO.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I wasnt suggesting otherwise,

I made the fatal mistake of not adding IMHO.

Maybe, but the reply was in response to your statement :

10 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

....... they should be wearing life jackets.

One can only respond to what you actually wrote, not what you say you really meant to write.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

As  boater I would say it depends on the boat, the water and on the power - the bigger the boat, the rougher the water and the more powerful the engine the better a wheel will be simply because a tiller gets very cumbersome and might even fight back. On a 60 foot long widebeam it will be six of one and half a dozen of the other, on a channel ferry a tiller would throw the skipper over the side, on most narrow boats a wheel simply isn't necessary

On the search function there is no rule saying one must use it and it has a fundamental disadvantage (aside from it being fairly crap) that it tells you what people though last year not what they think now - if you search GRP cabin on steel boat for example you will probably find I have changed my mind. 

This is also a discussion forum and there is no harm in having the same discussion again, it may tease out something new and it certainly gives the chance for a new angle on questions.

Telling new members to use the search forum is rather like telling the new guy or girl in the pub to shut up and go away - we were all beginners once. 

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

But when 'questioned' you back track and say I didn't mean to write that, I forgot to add something.

I didnt back track.

FFS Alan what is your problem?

I did mean to write what  I wrote, the mistake I made was not clarify that it was my opinion the mistake being it gave you the opportunity to start waving your willy around and start an argument about bog all....