Wheel or Tiller on a widebeam

Lady J

Featured Posts

Hi I’m looking at purchasing a 60 x 12 widebeam to live aboard on a residential mooring. I will need to move the boat around the marina for pump outs etc etc. Could anyone with experience of both tiller and wheel tell me if you think I’d be ok with the wheel being a relative novice. Thanks so much. 

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Please do a search as this has been asked many times before with good advice. Will save you time and typing.

I take it you have mastered the mystery of how exactly how the search function works on here? I seriously doubt the original poster with just two posts to their name will have.

So if you have an instructional tutorial fell free to tell all.

Otherwise let others try and answer the question.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I take it you have mastered the mystery of how exactly how the search function works on here? I seriously doubt the original poster with just two posts to their name will have.

I just press the "magnifying glass" icon and type my query.  What do you do?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

5 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Just click on the search icon on the top of the screen and put in “Tiller or Wheel” and you’ll find the same question was asked with lots of replies and advice. 

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

Just now, PD1964 said:

Just click on the search icon on the top of the screen and put in “Tiller or Wheel” and you’ll find the same wuestion was asked with lots of replies and advice. 

I did and it brought up numerous irrelavent answers, as ever.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

I just press the "magnifying glass" icon and type my query.  What do you do?

I tell you what I do. 

I encourage newbies to post here, not be dismissed with a trite, dismissive 'use the search function' as if they are stupid.

If we ask everybody to just use the search function for every question where does this go?

Down the toilet faster than it already is.

28 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Having done both, it doesn't really matter.  There's many that have only ever used a tiller so insist they are better, but if you can steer with a wheel you can easily do either.

My wife steers better with wheel steering than I do

• Greenie 1

Just now, PD1964 said:

Just scroll down and you will find the relevant one. Obviously you can’t be bothered to look.

Obviously you cant be bothered to properly help a new poster, fine.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

My wife steers better with wheel steering than I do

I have found kids who can't drive take to a wheel instantly.  It's adults who expect it to handle like a car that struggle with a wheel on a boat.

Not that I'm suggesting anything about Diana's driving ... ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Obviously you cant be bothered to properly help a new poster, fine.

How have you helped? Please give us your advice with 60ft x 12ft boats with tiller and wheel and how they differ on river and canal.
  The search function is there for a reason, one of them is to find information or answers to questions already asked.

Just now, PD1964 said:

How have you helped? Please give us your advice with 60ft x 12ft boats with tiller and wheel and how they differ on river and canal.
  The search function is there for a reason, one of them is to find information or answers to questions already asked.

So when a forum is condensed down to 'use the search function' what happens then?

Silly silly boy.

13 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I have found kids who can't drive take to a wheel instantly.  It's adults who expect it to handle like a car that struggle with a wheel on a boat.

Not that I'm suggesting anything about Diana's driving ... ;)

She is just good at everything she does ?

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, Lady J said:

Hi I’m looking at purchasing a 60 x 12 widebeam to live aboard on a residential mooring. I will need to move the boat around the marina for pump outs etc etc. Could anyone with experience of both tiller and wheel tell me if you think I’d be ok with the wheel being a relative novice. Thanks so much. 

I have a similar size boat, it was tiller but I converted it to wheel, tiller is more direct but now after a couple of years wheel works well, I can see down the left hand side easier and on longer journeys it's more comfortable to sit and steer.  I would not go back to tiller now but earlier t would happily thrown the wheel away!

As others have said it will steer for a long time on its own in a straight line

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

Well tell her what’s it like to move a boat around in a Marina with a wheel or tiller. 

Well tell them how to use the search function when you dismissively say 'use the search function'.

But as you ask wheel steering is less precise so that would not be my personal choice.