Wheel or Tiller on a widebeam

Lady J

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

This is also a discussion forum and there is no harm in having the same discussion again, it may tease out something new and it certainly gives the chance for a new angle on questions.

Telling new members to use the search forum is rather like telling the new guy or girl in the pub to shut up and go away - we were all beginners once. 

No it’s not. Using the search engine or any search engine saves time, as if the question has been asked before they can find all the relevant answers and information straight away, saving them time waiting for people to post their replies.

Edited by PD1964

8 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

No it’s not. Using the search engine or any search engine saves time, as if the question has been asked before they can find all the relevant answers and information straight away, saving them time waiting for people to post their replies.

So instead of interacting with one another, all we need to do is use the search engine and not bother. Doesn't that rather reduce us to an alternative to Wikipedia? Most subjects have already been discussed one way or another, does that mean that discussion is now dead? (title of the Forums, Canal World Discussion forum). On this thread there have been additional comments that haven't appeared elsewhere, if people are just supposed to 'use the search engine' they would not have appeared. If a newbie is seeking advice on a subject and you don't wish to offer any, that is your freedom, others may have a different take on it, let them get on with it.

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I get what you say however maybe new people post on the subject with a different view? 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

So instead of interacting with one another, all we need to do is use the search engine and not bother. Doesn't that rather reduce us to an alternative to Wikipedia? Most subjects have already been discussed one way or another, does that mean that discussion is now dead? (title of the Forums, Canal World Discussion forum). On this thread there have been additional comments that haven't appeared elsewhere, if people are just supposed to 'use the search engine' they would not have appeared. If a newbie is seeking advice on a subject and you don't wish to offer any, that is your freedom, others may have a different take on it, let them get on with it.

Exactly this.

If we archived the forum into a searchable database where is the enjoyment in that?

11 hours ago, blackrose said:

You don't really need to see down the side of any boat to steer it and avoid hitting things because you should know how wide the boat is. I steer a 12ft widebeam with a tiller. I never look down the side of the boat and I don't hit things. 

Tell you what, as a lightweight 'challenge' you steer your boat into a lock 3 inches wider than your boat (you are only allowed to view from a central steering position) and I'll steer mine into a lock with the same clearance whilst looking along the side of the boat and let's see who has the the greatest chance of hitting the lockside;)

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I get what you say however maybe new people post on the subject with a different view? 

A new member could always reply to an old Post which covers their question bringing it back to the top and any new information from new people and up-to date experience from previous posters could be added and discussion restarted.

Edited by PD1964

2 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Tell you what, as a lightweight 'challenge' you steer your boat into a lock 3 inches wider than your boat (you are only allowed to view from a central steering position) and I'll steer mine into a lock with the same clearance whilst looking along the side of the boat and let's see who has the the greatest chance of hitting the lockside;)

I went up the flight to Sheffield and a couple of those bridges are tight on my wheelhouse, so a view down the side works for me

Just now, PD1964 said:

A new member could always reply to an old Post which covers their question bringing it back to the top and any new thoughts/experience from previous posters could be added.

Some of the old posts go back years. I looked recently at comments regarding oarsmen/rowers and the most recent post was early 2018/19 so I created another thread (when you see a thread over 2 years old, who bothers to contribute?). The OP had a reasonable question at ask and did so, I'm not going to criticise him, for doing so.

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

A new member could always reply to an old Post which covers their question bringing it back to the top and any new thoughts/experience from previous posters could be added.

If a new member is not familiar with how the forum works or indeed how the search function works just how do they reserect an old post?

You are simply saying the same thing (and swimming against the tide).

I accept some brand new members are adept at resurecting posts from years ago but I suspect they are a bit 'forum savvy', not all new posters are.

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I went up the flight to Sheffield and a couple of those bridges are tight on my wheelhouse, so a view down the side works for me

I will admit to no experience on steering a wide beam, though I have every confidence that I could do so. My comment was based on watching others do it and what the difficulties seem to be, and standing in the centre of a wide beam doesn't seem to give most people the best view of what is ahead. A bit like driving any vehicle from a central position (your military experience may come into play here since several military vehicles are steered from the centre) it is possible but it is easier if you are off-centre.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Some of the old posts go back years. I looked recently at comments regarding oarsmen/rowers and the most recent post was early 2018/19 so I created another thread (when you see a thread over 2 years old, who bothers to contribute?). The OP had a reasonable question at ask and did so, I'm not going to criticise him, for doing so.

Sorry but you can’t even get the OP’s sexuality right.  It was a woman who started the post and the same question was asked a year ago with detailed information, so it could quite easily of been restarted, as many posters are the same to this one and the other.

Edited by PD1964

It was a woman who started the post and the same question was asked a year ago with detailed information, so it could of quite easily of been restarted, as many posters are the same to this one and the other.

I think the time frame mentioned was representative, not absolute.

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

It was a woman who started the post and the same question was asked a year ago with detailed information, so it could of quite easily of been restarted, as many posters are the same to this one and the other.

...and? She has hopefully got the answers she was seeking. Nobody died and not much energy was wasted so where lies the problem? How many threads have been started on the lines of 'I'm thinking of getting a boat to live on' if I don't wish to offer advice I don't, much the same as this thread (where I have added a comment).  The choice is to participate or not, rather than criticise the questioner.

8 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Sorry but you can’t even get the OP’s sexuality right.  It was a woman who started the post and the same question was asked a year ago with detailed information, so it could quite easily of been restarted, as many posters are the same to this one and the other.

I think you mean gender, not sexuality.

2 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

...and? She has hopefully got the answers she was seeking. Nobody died and not much energy was wasted so where lies the problem? How many threads have been started on the lines of 'I'm thinking of getting a boat to live on' if I don't wish to offer advice I don't, much the same as this thread (where I have added a comment).  The choice is to participate or not, rather than criticise the questioner.

Well you couldn’t offer advice on steering a 60ftx12ft widebeam using a wheel or tiller as you say you’ve never done it and only watched it being done.

Well you couldn’t offer advice on steering a 60ftx12ft widebeam using a wheel or tiller as you say you’ve never done it and only watched it being done.

...but others have done so, their choice. I've offered comment upon what I've seen.The lady concerned asked for advice and that it what several posters have given her, rather than criticizing the asking of the question. There is only one stupid question.....the one that doesn't get asked.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

8 hours ago, PD1964 said:

A new member could always reply to an old Post which covers their question bringing it back to the top and any new information from new people and up-to date experience from previous posters could be added and discussion restarted.

You clearly hsve an issue with people not searching - us moderators do not. We do have an issue with people being undermining threads and putting newcomers off so if im honest we'd rather not see responses along the lines of "use the search function" - it leads to four pages scattered with tit for tat "your not being helpful" versus " they're wasting time" - if you're short of time  good strategy is not to post in the first place. 

6 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

You clearly hsve an issue with people not searching - us moderators do not. We do have an issue with people being undermining threads and putting newcomers off so if im honest we'd rather not see responses along the lines of "use the search function" - it leads to four pages scattered with tit for tat "your not being helpful" versus " they're wasting time" - if you're short of time  good strategy is not to post in the first place. 

I wasn’t going to post on here again but I will answer this. This is what I posted 

“.Please do a search as this has been asked many times before with good advice. Will save you time and typing”

Along with a link, I was not rude or bad mannered, I just informed the OP of the search engine as the same question was asked in July 2019 and it was answered comprehensively, if anyone disrupted the Thread I would say it was “Happy Nomad” with his snide patronising comments to various posters and not one piece of constructive advice to the OP. 
  The search engine works so I don’t see why people don’t use it to save time.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 3