Jump to content

“Boating Beyond Repair” warning to Newbies How not to buy a boat


Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is there any indication that they are both unemployed?

Well they musn’t do much as He’s always going on about not having money and never mentions any work, also avoiding the question when asked on his social media sites, Go and join his Twitter/Instagram and please ask, he may tell you or more then likely ignore you.

  • Unimpressed 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

None at all, but that member seems to enjoy denigrating and insulting them, without knowing any facts.
 

Unfortunately it seems to be so, however there are several things about this guy and his boats that make me feel uneasy, I would not like to buy or sell boats with him. Its just an impression, never looks at the camera for long on you tubes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Unfortunately it seems to be so, however there are several things about this guy and his boats that make me feel uneasy, I would not like to buy or sell boats with him. Its just an impression, never looks at the camera for long on you tubes. 

Agreed, but that is no reason for PD1964 to be quite so vindictive and insulting. I suspect he doesn't understand how an income stream from Vlogging works and cannot accept that.

I personally know a motoring Vlogger (with a Patreon page) who makes a reasonable living out of the fees paid to him by YouTube advertisers and various sponsors, and although he never asks for money many people are happy to pay him something because they enjoy his videos. I also follow 3 Vloggers, one a female international motorcycle traveller, another an off-grid living couple, and one a railway history couple, and they never ask for money but seem to get by, again by sponsors and advertising.

Edited by Graham Davis
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:


I personally know a motoring Vlogger (with a Patreon page) who makes a reasonable living out of the fees paid to him by YouTube advertisers and various sponsors, and although he never asks for money many people are happy to pay him something because they enjoy his videos. I also follow 3 Vloggers, one a female international motorcycle traveller, another an off-grid living couple, and one a railway history couple, and they never ask for money but seem to get by, again by sponsors and advertising.

 

So, out of curiosity, how much can one make vlogging?

Edited by David Mack
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

 I suspect he doesn't understand how an income stream from Vlogging works and cannot accept that.

 

Eh? Do you mean that people can earn money from posting on Face Book (where I assume these pieces first appeared)? I thought that people posted either for fun or because a subject is interesting or important to them, or a combination of those reasons. I post fairly often on FB and no one has ever offered me any money, unless I've been selling something. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So, out of curiosity, how much can one make vlogging?

Not a fortune. It entirely depends on how many subscribers you have and how many views your video might have. One guy I follow has half a million subscribers and each video achieves something like a quarter of a million views. He might earn around $400 US per video, but he makes lots of videos - at least one a week and sometimes more. 
 

Those YouTubers who have maybe 50,000 subscribers and get 25,000 views for each video will probably only be making less than £50 per video. 
 

This site goes into a bit of detail:

https://influencermarketinghub.com/how-much-do-youtubers-make/


If you like lots of free tools then large (and small, I guess) companies will often target popular vloggers with the offer of free tools in return for product placement.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

 In our day you had to work not sit on your Harris and play with a phone.

Preferable to vice versa, perhaps.

I suppose that parents in those days might dissuade their children from seeking careers in television ("It'll never last") or football ("They don't pay much and it's a short career"), and I'm sure there are other examples. This (rather likeable, though she hardly gets a word in edgeways) couple are making films to entertain people, so if they can make a living, then bully for them. But there's been no indication that they don't have vhat many of us would consider "proper" jobs too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a couple (now four) who make a living sufficient to pay for their life of sailing around the world.

They post regular Youtube updates and (somehow) make enough to pay for a fairly comfortable lifestyle, all boat cost, and everything.

 

More here :

 

https://svdelos.com/sailing-travel-blog/

 

Now this adventure, the travel blog, and the entire project surrounding it is completely funded by the income we get from producing the sailing blog videos. Some of this comes from YouTube advertising, but most of it comes from pledges and donations directly from the people that enjoy watching the sailing videos. How cool is that?!?! Because of the support and love we’ve received, we are now able to fund our sailing and travels 100% and continue releasing our videos for free!

If you like watching the sailing videos, reading the travel blog, and feel like being generous just throw a few bucks our way. The money goes 100% back into the project to keep Delos in tip-top shape, camera gear, and a few “creative lubricants” to keep the editing process smooth.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

None at all, but that member seems to enjoy denigrating and insulting them, without knowing any facts.
 

I can see with my own eyes the type of person he is, there is something that has made a few people uneasy about this whole situation and that includes some of the major Youtube boat Vloggers. 
  You are obviously one of their supporters, I’m not.

  • Unimpressed 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

Agreed, but that is no reason for PD1964 to be quite so vindictive and insulting. I suspect he doesn't understand how an income stream from Vlogging works and cannot accept that.

I personally know a motoring Vlogger (with a Patreon page) who makes a reasonable living out of the fees paid to him by YouTube advertisers and various sponsors, and although he never asks for money many people are happy to pay him something because they enjoy his videos. I also follow 3 Vloggers, one a female international motorcycle traveller, another an off-grid living couple, and one a railway history couple, and they never ask for money but seem to get by, again by sponsors and advertising.

I do understand how it works and I can see how this guy has moaned about the whole situation and that he has not had the money for a surveyor or repairs, while filming with a high tech drone. The crocodile tears don’t work with some people but obviously do with his followers who have donated to his Paypal and bought him a new boat by the looks of things.

  Not bad since they have only been on the canals a year.

  • Angry 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Mack said:

 

So, out of curiosity, how much can one make vlogging?

I've never asked him, but certainly enough to live on.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Eh? Do you mean that people can earn money from posting on Face Book (where I assume these pieces first appeared)? I thought that people posted either for fun or because a subject is interesting or important to them, or a combination of those reasons. I post fairly often on FB and no one has ever offered me any money, unless I've been selling something. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

This has nothing to do with Facebook directly..
Vloggers have their own YouTube channels, which is where they get their income from, including advertising, sponsorship, Patreon, gifts, etc.
The fact that some of them also post on FB is often nothing more than getting people to then subscribe to their YouTube channel.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I can see with my own eyes the type of person he is, there is something that has made a few people uneasy about this whole situation and that includes some of the major Youtube boat Vloggers. 
  You are obviously one of their supporters, I’m not.

So you don't support them, so why do you have to be so judgemental, insulting and derogatory about them?
Yes, I've watched their videos but that is all. I presume that means you can be equally as judgemental and insulting about me too?
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

56 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I do understand how it works and I can see how this guy has moaned about the whole situation and that he has not had the money for a surveyor or repairs, while filming with a high tech drone. The crocodile tears don’t work with some people but obviously do with his followers who have donated to his Paypal and bought him a new boat by the looks of things.

  Not bad since they have only been on the canals a year.

And there you go, being judgemental again.
How do you know it's an "expensive high tech drone"? You can pick up perfectly adequate drones new for less than £50, or perhaps one of his supporting companies donated one.
Take your blinkers off and start realising that the world has changed; lots of people do like these Vlogs, which is why big and little companies are now willing to sponsor them. I suspect you'd really hate the lady motorcycle one I follow, she got a new bike donated for her last tour.

Edited by Graham Davis
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love vloggers, they give a unique angle on their life i follow many narrowboat ones although I find actual cruising vlogs are getting a bit saturated these days, i prefer the ones who focus on maintenance and other aspects of narrowboat life. Looking wider afield this is my favourite at the mo:

 

Chap who is going round the UK on a speedboat https://www.youtube.com/c/harrydwyer/videos

 

 

 

 

  • Greenie 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

I have a feeling that one of the boats that has helped them, NB Albion, were members here.

I had Albion built originally (hence my name on here) by Graham Edgson with fit out by Milburn Boats, but we sold it in late 2008 and bought a Sagar to cruise in France which was completed in mid 2010. The guy who bought Albion from me didn't look after it very well (to put it mildly) and managed to ruin the Danny Williamson Gardner 4LK, hence the comments about the replacement engine from Tangent Engineering in https://youtu.be/2hj_OAV9xxs. Luckily it was sold to some enthusiastic and caring owners who I have been helping with info/advice and it is they (John and Sandra) that are featured in the linked vlogger's film but I don't know if they have ever posted here.

Roger

  • Greenie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

 

And there you go, being judgemental again.
How do you know it's an "expensive high tech drone"? You can pick up perfectly adequate drones new for less than £50, or perhaps one of his supporting companies donated one.
Take your blinkers off and start realising that the world has changed; lots of people do like these Vlogs, which is why big and little companies are now willing to sponsor them. I suspect you'd really hate the lady motorcycle one I follow, she got a new bike donated for her last tour.

  Yeh the world has changed and your getting more of these type of people on the canals and more boatless people singing their praises as they can’t do it for real. 
  Are these the boaters that Newbie boaters think are experienced in canal life? That actually have absolutely no experience, (prime example “Boating Beyond”)
  What makes me laugh is the comments by Boatless boaters on their Vlogs who live their dream through watching these Vlogs and give totally useless advice from around the world😂

Edited by PD1964
  • Unimpressed 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, David Mack said:

So, out of curiosity, how much can one make vlogging?

With a large enough audience it can be quite a bit. It's not something most vloggers put hard numbers to but this guy reviewing solar products is making $5,500-8,000 a month from youtube ads alone.

 

Narrowboating is such a small niche with limited appeal to overseas markets that I don't see it ever being such a big money maker. Boating beyond has just 5k subscribers vs that guy's 345k, so scaling linearly (which is unlikely) that's $80-116/month.

 

David from "cruising the cut" has described his youtube earnings as "pocket money", which sounds about right.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, David Mack said:

So, out of curiosity, how much can one make vlogging?

Some more details from Cruising the Cut's FAQ:

Quote

 

The sums are tiny; it’s a fraction of a penny for each ad that gets watched so for a typical video which will have taken me several hours at least to film, script, edit and upload, I might – in total – earn a fiver after it’s had 10,000 views or so!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

  Yeh the world has changed and your getting more of these type of people on the canals and more boatless people singing their praises as they can’t do it for real. 
  These are the boater Vloggers that Newbie boaters think are experienced in canal life, that actually have absolutely no experience, (prime example “Boating Beyond”) What makes me laugh is the comments by Boatless boaters on their Vlogs who live their dream through watching these Vlogs and give  totally useless advice from around the world😂

I watch a couple of yachting YouTube channels, both of whom are funded by viewers, all entirely voluntary. One couple are being “paid” to sail round Australia, and the other from the Caribbean to Australia. There are loads of YouTube channels that I choose not to watch. All my choice.

 

in a roundabout way, we have all been giving money to people like this, albeit in a more structured way. You will have heard of, but not be interested in, The only way is Essex, and Made in Chelsea, and you will have paid to watch movies of one kind or another. Some people love the former, and some won’t like the movies you’ve enjoyed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

How do you know it's an "expensive high tech drone"? You can pick up perfectly adequate drones new for less than £50, or perhaps one of his supporting companies donated one.

Normally when gear gets donated to a channel the vlogger tends to plug it, or at least "review" it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

  Yeh the world has changed and your getting more of these type of people on the canals and more boatless people singing their praises as they can’t do it for real. 
  Are these the boaters that Newbie boaters think are experienced in canal life? That actually have absolutely no experience, (prime example “Boating Beyond”)
  What makes me laugh is the comments by Boatless boaters on their Vlogs who live their dream through watching these Vlogs and give totally useless advice from around the world😂

FFS!! 
Why can't you accept that other people have a different view to yours?

No, all you can do is insult people. 
How utterly sad.

1 hour ago, transplant said:

Normally when gear gets donated to a channel the vlogger tends to plug it, or at least "review" it.

Agreed, but I know that the person I know who runs his has been asked not to mention things that have been donated occasionally.
Unfortunately PD likes jumping to conclusions.

Edited by Graham Davis
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, big d said:

Think they have just bought 

 

New boat for sale: Poppy. , 45ft Traditional Style #narrowboat.  Price: £14950. Read more:https://bit.ly/2ZtEJlY

 

i grew up in Norfolk, why such a downer on the Norfolk broads?  I can honestly say I’ve never had to pull a tracksuit top of my prop on broads 

The biggest rip off I have ever come across, red diesel a few pennies less than white, even the pubs charge you to moor overnight when you are eating there And I'm a Norfolk boy now living just over the border in N Suffolk and use to own a boat on the broads

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.