“Boating Beyond Repair” warning to Newbies How not to buy a boat

PD1964

Featured Posts

I find these 2 amusing, though am not sure why.    David, "Cruising the cut " by far and away the best, allways entertaing.

There is 1 couple who's vlog i find sickeningly sweet.  Many i cannot believe get 2k views within an hour of posting.  But yes i agree that most of their followers have never set foot on a narrowboat.

20 hours ago, Feeby100 said:

Well I am sure your get over it 

That post was so last year, as in 8 month ago. 
  So you bought AWOL?????

I take it your a big fan of the Vloggers and they inspired you to buy a boat, how sweet, why don’t you start a Vlog and tell the world, I’m sure it hasn’t been done before?

On 12/09/2020 at 19:54, PD1964 said:

There’s no mention in the Whilton Ad of any of the previous issues, including the re-plating, I imagine the boat will need more then a new Stern Tube in the not too distant future. 20K for a 1973 Springer with it’s problems is crazy. 
  They harped on in a lot of their videos that they had no money and spent everything on AWOL, now they have a new boat which looks a lot more expensive then their sinking AWOL.  I image all their followers fell for the hard up story and sent them some cash. They sure know how to sting gullible Youtube Viewers for money and other Newbie Youtube boaters too. Total con artists.

I had her surveyed again when I took her out to get the tiller tube sorted  ... not the stern tube, matt made this mistake but at some point corrected it, replaced old one had cracked at the back where it couldn’t be seen by the surveyor and was given the all clear with a couple of notices for when she next comes out of the water but no immediate work needed. What I paid for her reflected on this and have no concerns for the future. 

Syphoning fuel ? I’ve not seen that anywhere but I’ll stand corrected if I’m wrong. The only thing that I can think of is Matt said that when the work had been done they put her back into the water all was fine until they filled her up with diesel and a very slight leak appeared. That was finally put down to a possible failure of the stern tube.
Those last two vlogs showed their despare

I was fully aware of concerns about springers and also aware of what survivors they are. I wanted a Springer from the first time I saw one, I’m an old punk, I like the fact that springers wind you up and  so I obviously bought the right boat. As pointed out by others she’s almost 50 years old but has needed very little over plating, I’d more say patching than over plating. There are much newer boats out there that need a lot more work to keep them dry. 

As for how they raised the funds to buy Poppy really is theirs and their subscribers business. I’ve seen speculative figures for what they sold AWOL for, speculative figures for what they paid for Poppy (Wrong boat idiots, you didn’t even get the right boat ffs) and actually knowing the figures myself you should all be a lot angrier with modern society if indeed the funding came from the internet. But then again your either stuck in your bedroom with the curtains shut or one of those boats stuck on residential moorings rotting away and blaming everyone else for your woes. 

11 minutes ago, Reansman said:

I had her surveyed again when I took her out to get the tiller tube sorted  ... not the stern tube, matt made this mistake but at some point corrected it, replaced old one had cracked at the back where it couldn’t be seen by the surveyor and was given the all clear with a couple of notices for when she next comes out of the water but no immediate work needed. What I paid for her reflected on this and have no concerns for the future. 

Syphoning fuel ? I’ve not seen that anywhere but I’ll stand corrected if I’m wrong. The only thing that I can think of is Matt said that when the work had been done they put her back into the water all was fine until they filled her up with diesel and a very slight leak appeared. That was finally put down to a possible failure of the stern tube.
Those last two vlogs showed their despare

I was fully aware of concerns about springers and also aware of what survivors they are. I wanted a Springer from the first time I saw one, I’m an old punk, I like the fact that springers wind you up and  so I obviously bought the right boat. As pointed out by others she’s almost 50 years old but has needed very little over plating, I’d more say patching than over plating. There are much newer boats out there that need a lot more work to keep them dry. 

As for how they raised the funds to buy Poppy really is theirs and their subscribers business. I’ve seen speculative figures for what they sold AWOL for, speculative figures for what they paid for Poppy (Wrong boat idiots, you didn’t even get the right boat ffs) and actually knowing the figures myself you should all be a lot angrier with modern society if indeed the funding came from the internet. But then again your either stuck in your bedroom with the curtains shut or one of those boats stuck on residential moorings rotting away and blaming everyone else for your woes. 

Your spouting off on a old thread that died, no-one is bothered.

There’s a new thread started about your friends the Vloggers  this week, go and get on that one. So you bought AWOL it’s an old over plated/patched Springer, your obviously experienced with boats so get on with it.  

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Your spouting off on a old thread that died, no-one is bothered.

There’s a new thread started about your friends the Vloggers  this week, go and get on that one. So you bought AWOL it’s an old over plated/patched Springer, your obviously experienced with boats so get on with it.  

I have nothing to get over mate, it appears to be you with the issues. I know enough about boats but if I need to know more I’ll ask someone who knows what they are talking about and not some jealous little troll hiding behind his keyboard in a darkened room thank you very much. 

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Reansman said:

I have nothing to get over mate, it appears to be you with the issues. I know enough about boats but if I need to know more I’ll ask someone who knows what they are talking about and not some jealous little troll hiding behind his keyboard in a darkened room thank you very much. 

Who said get over anything? I don’t know what your on about and I’m sitting on the front of my Narrowboat in the sun like most evenings. 
  As I said go and join in the new thread about these Vloggers if you want to get your post count up instead of bringing up old threads that have died. The new one is still active so you should be ok?

Edited by PD1964

No thanks. This place is a cess pit of bitter and twisted jealous nobodies such as yourself who become obsessed with people who are doing okay for themselves and so troll them with childish insults, false presumptions and uninformed comments. So you’re a troll sitting in the sunshine. Okay mate. Stay well. 

5 minutes ago, Reansman said:

No thanks. This place is a cess pit of bitter and twisted jealous nobodies such as yourself who become obsessed with people who are doing okay for themselves and so troll them with childish insults, false presumptions and uninformed comments. So you’re a troll sitting in the sunshine. Okay mate. Stay well. 

What a pleasant chap you sound. Are you related to the people you brought the boat from perchance??

7 minutes ago, Reansman said:

And you

11 minutes ago, frangar said:

What a pleasant chap you sound. Are you related to the people you brought the boat from perchance??

Not at all, I just don’t like trolls. Please don’t take exception.