“Boating Beyond Repair” warning to Newbies How not to buy a boat

PD1964

Featured Posts

On 31/08/2020 at 13:18, PD1964 said:

Please watch the YouTube for the pitfalls of old Springers

There's nothing wrong with old Springers if they've been maintained. I used to own one myself. The issue as you have already identified is not getting them surveyed prior to purchase. That goes for any boat being purchased by someone who knows nothing about boats.

3 hours ago, Rickent said:

is the new boat a crowd funded  job?

yes, survey August 2020, new blacking and anodes.

There’s no mention in the Whilton Ad of any of the previous issues, including the re-plating, I imagine the boat will need more then a new Stern Tube in the not too distant future. 20K for a 1973 Springer with it’s problems is crazy. 
  They harped on in a lot of their videos that they had no money and spent everything on AWOL, now they have a new boat which looks a lot more expensive then their sinking AWOL.  I image all their followers fell for the hard up story and sent them some cash. They sure know how to sting gullible Youtube Viewers for money and other Newbie Youtube boaters too. Total con artists.

Edited by PD1964
  • Unimpressed 1

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

There’s no mention in the Whilton Ad of any of the previous issues, including the re-plating, I imagine the boat will need more then a new Stern Tube, in the not too distant future. 20K for a 1973 Springer with it’s problems is crazy. 
  They harped on in a lot of their videos that they had no money and spent everything on AWOL, now they have a new boat which looks a lot more expensive I image all their followers fell for the hard up story and sent them some cash. They sure know how to sting gullible Youtube Viewers for money and other Newbie Youtube boaters. Total con artists.

I thought it was a bit mean to syphon the diesel out of the old boat and put it in the new one, especially after all the financial help they apparently had to buy the new boat. Did I miss the bit where he said he had had the new boat surveyed?

haggis

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

I thought it was a bit mean to syphon the diesel out of the old boat and put it in the new one, especially after all the financial help they apparently had to buy the new boat. Did I miss the bit where he said he had had the new boat surveyed?

haggis

Sums them up, there’s something not right in all this if you know boats. The gullible fools out there that support them obviously know nothing about boats and that goes for the fellow Youtube Boat Vloggers who support them, most of which have no real experience with boats also.

• Greenie 2
  • Angry 1

14 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

There’s no mention in the Whilton Ad of any of the previous issues, including the re-plating, I imagine the boat will need more then a new Stern Tube in the not too distant future. 20K for a 1973 Springer with it’s problems is crazy. 
  They harped on in a lot of their videos that they had no money and spent everything on AWOL, now they have a new boat which looks a lot more expensive then their sinking AWOL.  I image all their followers fell for the hard up story and sent them some cash. They sure know how to sting gullible Youtube Viewers for money and other Newbie Youtube boaters too. Total con artists.

Why are they?
They have been totally open on their blog, vlog and on their Patreon site that they have little money, and as far as I can see have never directly asked for money in the way of a "Just Giving" page.
And since you don't know what they paid for their new boat I think you are jumping to some nasty conclusions.

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Sums them up, there’s something not right in all this if you know boats. The gullible fools out there that support them obviously know nothing about boats and that goes for the fellow Youtube Boat Vloggers who support them, most of which have no real experience with boats also.

And there you go again, jumping to conclusions!

I have a feeling that one of the boats that has helped them, NB Albion, were members here.

Edited by Graham Davis
  • Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Why are they?
They have been totally open on their blog, vlog and on their Patreon site that they have little money, and as far as I can see have never directly asked for money in the way of a "Just Giving" page.
And since you don't know what they paid for their new boat I think you are jumping to some nasty conclusions.

And there you go again, jumping to conclusions!

Go and give them some money if you wish and support their lifestyle if your that bothered with my comments. These are the new generation of boaters that’s on the canal, don’t seam to of done a hard days work in their lives and want to be supported by donations. so they can live on the canal system.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 4

17 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

See you've conveniently ignored the fact that I have pointed out that boat owners of long standing have supported them. He even names 4 of them.

9 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Go and give them some money if you wish and support their lifestyle if your that bothered with my comments. These are the new generation of boaters that’s on the canal, don’t seam to of done a hard days work in their lives and want to be supported by donations. so they can live on the canal system.

Funny, but you seem quite happy to insult people who don't have a chance to defend themselves. 
I suggest if you don't like it you ignore them.

Edited by Graham Davis
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Graham Davis said:

See you've conveniently ignored I have pointed out that boat owners of long standing have supported them.

Funny, but you seem quite happy to insult people who don't have a chance to defend themselves. 
I suggest if you don't like it you ignore them.

Have they? Is that all the other Vloggers who have only been on the canal. a couple of years.

I have asked them a lot of relevant questions about the whole situation, they never answered them and blocked me from their social media platforms. Maybe they didn’t want their boat-less followers getting to know too much about boats.

• Unimpressed 1

To be clear my post was not at all aimed at Matt and Ally, I’m actually a big supporter of their vlog and find them quite open and honest with everything they’ve said and fine them them quite genuine.

My post was to question the price that was put on the boat through the brokerage listing as we all know the state of the boat and nothing was mentioned on the advert.

I wish them the best of luck and will continue supporting them.

• Greenie 2

Our boat had the ‘benefit ‘ of a recent survey. Once on dock and before our surveyor came i went for a look. Having owned several old boats before Im pretty aware.

With the survey in hand I wandered about. Nothing made sense.

When our surveyor turned up i offered him the old one. He refused and worked from cold.

3 hrs later we met for a chat, he gave me a broad idea of what he thought.

I asked him to look at the previous survey, there was precious little similar. Then we realised the old survey had confused port and starboard...

The seller paid the bill for  42 feet of new cut out footings needed. Even the yard didnt want to cut out the sides saying they were fine, until they started cutting and found 2 and 3 mm steel
Buyer beware.

The reason your own survey is important is that if that you rely on a previous survey then you have no comeback on the surveyor if they have missed something, the survey is 'personal' to the person who commissioned it.

What little come back you have, and given the numerous get out clauses there is not much, relies on the survey being 'yours'.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yup, Whilton do that and use it to convince newbies that they don't need to fork out £1000 for a survey "we have already done it for you".

There have been a number of boats that have had a Whilton Survey and then sunk as the buyer leaves the marina & takes 'them home'.

Yes.

My sister bought a Wilton boat with their own survey. Very unhappy. Stack of problems straight away. The BMC engine hadn't been serviced in years...the oil was thick tar and had gunked up the pressure switch. Wilton said it would be fine with a service...( Not!!)...the rev counter ...a standard one... didn't work so they found a small one that was obviously in the junk box and bolted it on to a roughly screwed in piece of wood.

Last week I shared locks with a couple who ( unwisely) bought a boat from Wilton via internet video due to being abroad. Funny how the video didn't show that the window frames needed to come out due to extreme rust...and Wilton "survey" had missed the fact that the engine mounts were totally shot!.  When they phoned a week later they were told that it was a "secondhand boat..what do you expect!).

Get your own survey. 

Think they have just bought 

New boat for sale: Poppy. , 45ft Traditional Style #narrowboat.  Price: £14950. Read more:https://bit.ly/2ZtEJlY

i grew up in Norfolk, why such a downer on the Norfolk broads?  I can honestly say I’ve never had to pull a tracksuit top of my prop on broads 

4 hours ago, big d said:

...................  why such a downer on the Norfolk broads?  I can honestly say I’ve never had to pull a tracksuit top of my prop on broads 

Is it because it is so cold and windy (nothing to stop the wind between there and Scandinavia) so no one takes their tracksuit top off ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, big d said:

Think they have just bought 

New boat for sale: Poppy. , 45ft Traditional Style #narrowboat.  Price: £14950. Read more:https://bit.ly/2ZtEJlY

Was this also from Whilton Marina? I typed in your reference but nothing was found.

'Awol' is now under offer, so they should get some money back from her soon.

The couple seem to have landed on their feet! Selling a boat which they know has holes in it for £20,000 and buying one (without survey?) for £14950 with the help of donations.  I don't follow their logic which says their new boat will be OK when they know a dearer one isn't. 

haggis

6 minutes ago, haggis said:

The couple seem to have landed on their feet! Selling a boat which they know has holes in it for £20,000 and buying one (without survey?) for £14950 with the help of donations.  I don't follow their logic which says their new boat will be OK when they know a dearer one isn't. 

haggis

Want to bet Whilton took the old boat off them as a deposit on the next boat?

Probably gave them £5k for it ...

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Want to bet Whilton took the old boat off them as a deposit on the next boat?

Probably gave them £5k for it ...

That seems a likely scenario!  I pity the poor sod who buys the old boat if they rely on the latest survey. 

haggis

31 minutes ago, haggis said:

haggis

Their new boat looks like it cost a bit more then £15K looking at the woodwork and the engine bay, as you say they have had a result. HE seams to have convinced enough people of their sorry plight and received money through donations, why can’t they just go and work to pay for their boat like most do, after all they are young enough to work?

• Greenie 2
  • Unimpressed 1

16 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

why can’t they just go and work to pay for their boat like most do, after all they are young enough to work?

Because they’re entitled. Along with a large percentage of the snowflake generation. 

• Greenie 3