Parking on the Gloucester Sharpness

Lewisdb

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Why dont people get off this guy's back for gawds sake.

I couldn't agree more, he has said he is not spending all year on the G&S and that he intends to travel to other parts of the system, Just because he worded his first post rather poorly of his intentions

• Greenie 3

20 minutes ago, frangar said:

So now we can’t have an opinion of our own?  Your thoughts are laughable really. I’m not sure forums are for you if you don’t like others having opinions and thoughts. 

Where did I suggest that opinions are not allowed?

I was talking about the manner in which they are being expressed and the unnecessary need for their repetition.

Its my opinion you see?

Get it?

Ps if we want to talk 'laughable'  I would start with the suggestion of new members grovelling to the longer standing members just to get a bit of basic information.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

10 hours ago, Lewisdb said:

An incredibly short sighted and factually incorrect view.

Every single member of this forum was new once upon a time. Without them there would literally be no members and therefore no forum. 

why don't you respond to my statement IN CONTEXT?  i.e respond to :

If new members take the time to read previous posts and get acquainted with the way things work then they will generally find this is a welcoming and helpful site.  If new members bounce in from the hinterland and ask leading questions from experienced boating folk, and then don't like the responses then they will feel a cold wind blowing.

• Greenie 2

55 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

why don't you respond to my statement IN CONTEXT?  i.e respond to :

If new members take the time to read previous posts and get acquainted with the way things work then they will generally find this is a welcoming and helpful site.  If new members bounce in from the hinterland and ask leading questions from experienced boating folk, and then don't like the responses then they will feel a cold wind blowing.

And if existing members don’t reply to questions or responses they don’t like new members won’t be pushed away.  As my mother used to impress upon me, if you are going to say something unpleasant , don’t say anything.

• Greenie 2

26 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

As my mother used to impress upon me, if you are going to say something unpleasant , don’t say anything.

My mum’s variant was “If you can’t say anything to better the situation then don’t say anything at all.”

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

And if existing members don’t reply to questions or responses they don’t like new members won’t be pushed away.  As my mother used to impress upon me, if you are going to say something unpleasant , don’t say anything.

but we need to balance the temperature of the welcome with the need for practical responses that may well put newbies off.   

we all know that boating is not always a bed of roses, but, like many natural optimists (nothing wrong with that - I is one :) ), many newbies will believe that boating is a dream and all the right answers (i.e. the answers they would like to hear) are available for the asking.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Pretty poor. Why don't you take a drive around the area and take a look?

excellent suggestion - strange how a newbie who has set his heart on the G&C has apparently not researched it by visiting and finding his way about sufficient to find (or not) a place to park a car.

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

but we need to balance the temperature of the welcome with the need for practical responses that may well put newbies off.   

we all know that boating is not always a bed of roses, but, like many natural optimists (nothing wrong with that - I is one :) ), many newbies will believe that boating is a dream and all the right answers (i.e. the answers they would like to hear) are available for the asking.

excellent suggestion - strange how a newbie who has set his heart on the G&C has apparently not researched it by visiting and finding his way about sufficient to find (or not) a place to park a car.

You are not a natural optimist, you attack most fresh ideas and many people, constantly

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 4

16 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I wasn't aware of your promotion to 'spokesperson' for 'us'.

Did I miss the memo?

This forum does depend on new members because people die, get peed off and leave, or prefer other social media like the book of Face and switch.

Any suggestion that new members should have to kowtow to the longer serving members is rather reminiscent of being in a prison or a 1950's public school.

Perhaps you need to read some of your own posts!

• Haha 1
  • Unimpressed 1

Just now, Graham Davis said:

Perhaps you need to read some of your own posts!

As I have said to you before Mr. Davis, probably more than once now. You are no position to criticise anybodies posting style.

3 hours ago, Murflynn said:

excellent suggestion - strange how a newbie who has set his heart on the G&C has apparently not researched it by visiting and finding his way about sufficient to find (or not) a place to park a car

Ha ha ha. It's a forum. That's what they are here for.

How about if you don't have an answer to the OP you stay out of it?

Instead of jumping to incorrect conclusions and then refusing to back down. 

Nothing that you (and many others) have added to this thread has any value. 

I suspect some of you really have a problem with people new on the network because you would rather keep it to yourself. 

55 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

in your opinion - which I discounted many months/years ago. dear lady.

Well that's a bit rude. Not to mention chauvanustic. But I bet that's o.k with the mods because you have been here a while. 

Edited by Lewisdb
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Lewisdb said:

Nothing that you (and many others) have added to this thread has any value. 

You are not compelled to continue reading it if you don't like it. Participation is optional.

30 minutes ago, Lewisdb said:

Well that's a bit rude. Not to mention chauvanustic. But I bet that's o.k with the mods because you have been here a while. 

Please be careful what you write, especially if it includes unfounded and erroneous statements. For your information, moddies are impartial and treat each members's contributions on their merits.

Only your use of "chauvanustic", which does have a certain charm, has saved you.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

You are not compelled to continue reading it if you don't like it. Participation is optional.

Is that a personal view or a moderator’s view?

If the latter may I suggest you address all parties equally since this topic has long lost any sense, reason or civility from both sides?

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Is that a personal view or a moderator’s view?

If the latter may I suggest you address all parties equally since this topic has long lost any sense, reason or civility from both sides?

:D

5 hours ago, Lewisdb said:

you are new here - you don't know the history. 

you are welcome to use any words you like to describe me - but be aware that they carry no weight because you have not yet established any credibility around these parts.

4 hours ago, Murflynn said:

you are new here - you don't know the history. 

you are welcome to use any words you like to describe me - but be aware that they carry no weight because you have not yet established any credibility around these parts.

Chauvenism is rife on this forum, I have most of them, like yourself,  on 'ignore' 

Not sure anyone needs 'history' to recognise your attitude.

And I can assure you, and OP, that 'establishing a presence for credibility is garbage.

15 minutes ago, Ange said:

The big stick. It stings ?

The Lochgelly in Athy's case................

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Chauvenism is rife on this forum, I have most of them, like yourself,  on 'ignore' 

Not sure anyone needs 'history' to recognise your attitude.

And I can assure you, and OP, that 'establishing a presence for credibility is garbage.

The Lochgelly in Athy's case................

Oh lordy yes, I've battled Chauvenism since day one.

Lochgelly? I googled but can't make sense.

PM me if the answer may involve you being struck by the big stick

• Greenie 1