Parking on the Gloucester Sharpness

Lewisdb

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Lewisdb said:

Hi guys

I am thinking about buying a boat and spending a large part of the year on the Gloucester Sharpness as a CC.

Can any of you let me know how the canal is for parking as I do have a car.

Thanks

John 

It's not great as other people have the same idea. A few I know of:

- Fretherne Bridge (both sides)

- Castle lane adjacent to Parkend bridge

- Rea bridge 

- Housing estate by Quayside way (bit naughty but some people park there due to easy boat access)

- Splatt bridge

Not sure if you need to make any arrangements.

Personally if you have a nice car or worried about it getting damaged, I wouldn't park in any of the places mentioned.

The other option is to pay for a berth at Saul Junction marina. They have a big car park and you won't get hassled by the CRT though it is technically a leisure marina and not residential. People can get round that by frequently taking their boat out. 

Edited by RichM

9 minutes ago, Lewisdb said:

Hi guys

I am thinking about buying a boat and spending a large part of the year on the Gloucester Sharpness as a CC.

Can any of you let me know how the canal is for parking as I do have a car.

Thanks

John 

Have you investigated the CC requirements, and what happens if you don't comply.

I'd suggest that at only 16 miles long you will fall at the 1st hurdle 

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Have you investigated the CC requirements, and what happens if you don't comply.

I'd suggest that at only 16 miles long you will fall at the 1st hurdle 

Yes. I will spend part of the year on the severn and avon. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Lewisdb said:

You might get away with a month CCing on the GS, but as long as you are aware of what you need to do, and what happens if you don't do it,  your can at least make an informed decision.

It is entirely your choice, and between you and C&RT.

Good luck.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its 16 miles long so as a ccer what are you going to do after the second day? ;)

Ok, if me maths is right:

move 2 miles very 14th day, 

it’ll take approximately 4 months to get from one end to the other, 

then repeat

and repeat again

48 miles covered in a year! Bingo

?

• Unimpressed 1

Have you looked at the casual mooring availability on those??? The idea of cc on the Severn is amusing.....and you realise you need another licence for the Avon....and both go into flood for a pastime....you need to worry about more than parking your car I’m afraid. 

There seems to be a lot of CCer's on the G&S to be fair and that has been the case for years, whether or not they all comply with the rules I do not know. It is a very pleasant canal with a real sense of community and ideal for those who are less keen on locks. (I'd have them all electrified if it were up to me. :) )

Edited by RichM

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Have you looked at the casual mooring availability on those??? The idea of cc on the Severn is amusing.....and you realise you need another licence for the Avon....and both go into flood for a pastime....you need to worry about more than parking your car I’m afraid. 

Perhaps the OP means the Bristol/ Bath Avon.

Just now, RichM said:

There seems to be a lot of CCer's on the G&S to be fair and that has been the case for years, whether or not they all comply with the rules I do not know. It is a very pleasant canal with a real sense of community and ideal for those who are less keen on locks. (I'd have them all electrified if it were up to me :))

I think you mean there’s a lot of CM’ers who get away with it and clutter up the VM’s for those genuinely cruising 

Just now, matty40s said:

Perhaps the OP means the Bristol/ Bath Avon.

Oh and maybe the tidal Severn?? Good point! 

11 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Ok, if me maths is right:

move 2 miles very 14th day, 

it’ll take approximately 4 months to get from one end to the other, 

then repeat

and repeat again

48 miles covered in a year! Bingo

?

You have fallen in the trap  and not read the guidance - it is NOT 20 miles in a year, it is a range / radius of 20 miles so if the canal is only 16 miles long and you start from one end, the maximum range you can have is 16 miles.

The guidance is that they are unlikely to start enforcement if you exceed 20 miles, but probably will if you fall below 20 miles.

They cannot state a distance as they do not have that power, they can only say that they are unlikely to be 'satisfied' as per the 1995 Act.

Notwithstanding anything in any enactment but subject to subsection (7) below, the Board may refuse a relevant consent in respect of any vessel unless—

(a)the applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board that the vessel complies with the standards applicable to that vessel;

(b)an insurance policy is in force in respect of the vessel and a copy of the policy, or evidence that it exists and is in force, has been produced to the Board; and

(c)either—

(i)the Board are satisfied that a mooring or other place where the vessel can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left will be available for the vessel, whether on an inland waterway or elsewhere; or

(ii)the applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board that the vessel to which the application relates will be used bona fide for navigation throughout the period for which the consent is valid without remaining continuously in any one place for more than 14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances.

• Greenie 1

Damn, yes, I over looked that. 

So, a dash of 4 mile along the Avon, even if it’s for an over night stop only,

then return. 

would it even need to be over night?

just turn the boat 

No, wouldn’t work. 
I think they (CRT) state somewhere  shenanigans like that are not allowed. 

Edited by Goliath

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You have fallen in the trap  and not read the guidance - it is NOT 20 miles in a year, it is a range / radius of 20 miles so if the canal is only 16 miles long and you start from one end, the maximum range you can have is 16 miles.

The guidance is that they are unlikely to start enforcement if you exceed 20 miles, but probably will if you fall below 20 miles.

They cannot state a distance as they do not have that power, they can only say that they are unlikely to be 'satisfied' as per the 1995 Act.

Notwithstanding anything in any enactment but subject to subsection (7) below, the Board may refuse a relevant consent in respect of any vessel unless—

(a)the applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board that the vessel complies with the standards applicable to that vessel;

(b)an insurance policy is in force in respect of the vessel and a copy of the policy, or evidence that it exists and is in force, has been produced to the Board; and

(c)either—

(i)the Board are satisfied that a mooring or other place where the vessel can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left will be available for the vessel, whether on an inland waterway or elsewhere; or

(ii)the applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board that the vessel to which the application relates will be used bona fide for navigation throughout the period for which the consent is valid without remaining continuously in any one place for more than 14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances.

So easily achievable with spending the summer on the avon. There is also the option of the K&A.

The thread was supposed to be about parking not CC regs.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Lewisdb said:

So easily achievable with spending the summer on the avon. There is also the option of the K&A.

It’s a long way to the K & A or are you expecting to go on the tidal Severn?? If so I wish you luck if you are new to boating. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I think they (CRT) state somewhere  shenanigans like that are not allowed. 

You may find this (from C&RT) interesting :

London Enforcement Manager Simon Cadek sent an email to a boater who was warned that they were on course for failing their six month restricted licence, telling them what they would need to do to pass.

The email is on public record as part of advice to boaters in the London Boaters Facebook group and dates from the end of 2016.

When we are looking at boat movements we are looking for characteristics of bona fide navigation, these fall roughly into four categories:

· Range: by range we mean the furthest points a boat has travelled on the network, not merely the total distance travelled. While the BW act does not stipulate what that distance is the Trust has previously said that anyone travelling a range of less than say 20 miles (32km) would struggle to satisfy the Trust that they are engaged in bona fide navigation and that normally we would expect a greater range.

. For the avoidance of doubt, a small number of long journeys over a short period of time, followed or preceded by cruising in a small are of the network would not generally satisfy the Trust that you are engaged in bona fide navigation.

· Overstaying: we look to see how often boats overstay, either the 14 day limit on the main length of the canal, or shorter periods where local signage dictates, for example short stay visitor moorings.

While we are flexible with the occasional overstay from most boaters due to breakdown, illness or other emergencies, we will look at the overall pattern balanced with range and movement pattern in order to form a view.

Overstay reminders are issued when a boat is seen in the same area for more than 14 days. While we are unable to say how far you need to travel each time you move, we would advise that you normally travel further than a few km each time.

This will prevent you from getting reminders and depending on the length of other trips you make and how many times you turn back on yourself, should increase your overall range over the course of your licence.

· Movement: Continuous Cruiser Licences are intended for bona fide (genuine) navigation around the network, rather than for a boat to remain in one mooring spot, place neighbourhood or area.

We would expect boats on these licences to move around the network such that they don’t gravitate back to favoured areas too often i.e. in a way that it’s clear to us that they’re living in a small area of the waterway.

The basic principle of this is that these licences are not intended for living in an area and if it looks like a boat is habitually returning to a particular part of the waterway then this would not generally satisfy the Trust.

Within an acceptable range we’d expect a genuine movement, so for example it would not satisfy the Trust if a boat went on a 60 mile trip during the course of say two weeks, then returned to cruise in an area of say 5 miles the remainder of the time (figures are examples only).

Generally speaking, the smaller the range the less we’d expect to see boats back at the same locations. Of course people need to turn around and they’re perfectly free to re-visit places they have been to before, it’s living in a small area on this kind of licence that would cause a problem.

12 minutes ago, frangar said:

It’s a long way to the K & A or are you expecting to go on the tidal Severn?? If so I wish you luck if you are new to boating. 

Could go via the Stroudwater, would provide the perfect excuse sitting on the G&S waiting for the repairs to the Stroudwater to be completed.

And in response to parking, there doesn't seem to be much hedge space by most of the swing bridges as the small amount of space usually has a vehicle in it. We struggled recently just to find a point for our daughter to pull over to drop some stuff off for us.

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

London Enforcement Manager Simon Cadek sent an email to a boater who was warned that they were on course for failing their six month restricted licence, telling them what they would need to do to pass.

The email is on public record as part of advice to boaters in the London Boaters Facebook group and dates from the end of 2016.

When we are looking at boat movements we are looking for characteristics of bona fide navigation, these fall roughly into four categories:

· Range: by range we mean the furthest points a boat has travelled on the network, not merely the total distance travelled. While the BW act does not stipulate what that distance is the Trust has previously said that anyone travelling a range of less than say 20 miles (32km) would struggle to satisfy the Trust that they are engaged in bona fide navigation and that normally we would expect a greater range.

. For the avoidance of doubt, a small number of long journeys over a short period of time, followed or preceded by cruising in a small are of the network would not generally satisfy the Trust that you are engaged in bona fide navigation.

· Overstaying: we look to see how often boats overstay, either the 14 day limit on the main length of the canal, or shorter periods where local signage dictates, for example short stay visitor moorings.

While we are flexible with the occasional overstay from most boaters due to breakdown, illness or other emergencies, we will look at the overall pattern balanced with range and movement pattern in order to form a view.

Overstay reminders are issued when a boat is seen in the same area for more than 14 days. While we are unable to say how far you need to travel each time you move, we would advise that you normally travel further than a few km each time.

This will prevent you from getting reminders and depending on the length of other trips you make and how many times you turn back on yourself, should increase your overall range over the course of your licence.

· Movement: Continuous Cruiser Licences are intended for bona fide (genuine) navigation around the network, rather than for a boat to remain in one mooring spot, place neighbourhood or area.

We would expect boats on these licences to move around the network such that they don’t gravitate back to favoured areas too often i.e. in a way that it’s clear to us that they’re living in a small area of the waterway.

The basic principle of this is that these licences are not intended for living in an area and if it looks like a boat is habitually returning to a particular part of the waterway then this would not generally satisfy the Trust.

Within an acceptable range we’d expect a genuine movement, so for example it would not satisfy the Trust if a boat went on a 60 mile trip during the course of say two weeks, then returned to cruise in an area of say 5 miles the remainder of the time (figures are examples only).

Generally speaking, the smaller the range the less we’d expect to see boats back at the same locations. Of course people need to turn around and they’re perfectly free to re-visit places they have been to before, it’s living in a small area on this kind of licence that would cause a problem.

Yep, that in bold is the shenanigans I was referring to. 

?

Edited by Goliath

2 hours ago, Lewisdb said:

Do you have the experience and a suitable boat for the cruising the tidal Severn down to Bristol?

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The G&S and Severn are easy for CaRT to track boat movements with all the bridge and lock keepers, so easy to catch the bridge hoppers I reckon.

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

And in response to parking, there doesn't seem to be much hedge space by most of the swing bridges as the small amount of space usually has a vehicle in it. We struggled recently just to find a point for our daughter to pull over to drop some stuff off for us.

That is very true