Parking on the Gloucester Sharpness

Lewisdb

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I hope you got it in writing, because it certainly doesn't agree with past experiences.

Is that based on your own personal experiences, or just something you have read on the internet?

@Lewisdb

The only true arbiters of if you are moving enough are CRT. What you read on here is just speculation based on what people think is sufficient.

The reality is people's opinion on here doesn't matter a jot.

You will soon know if you come to the attention of CRT and then you will know you are not moving enough, that will be the time to respond.

2 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

I hope you got it in writing, because it certainly doesn't agree with past experiences.

Ok, this is getting painful.

Ignore the fact that I have spoken to the CRT.

Can you give me 1 bonafide example of someone travelling nearly 300 miles in a year that's been found to breach the CRT guidelines? Just one? 

11 hours ago, Lewisdb said:

.......................    a genuine CC'r who has run his plans past CRT ........................

and what on earth does "running your plans past CRT" mean in practice?     .....................................    it sounds like a fascinating process.

7 hours ago, Lewisdb said:

Ok, this is getting painful.

Ignore the fact that I have spoken to the CRT.

Can you give me 1 bonafide example of someone travelling nearly 300 miles in a year that's been found to breach the CRT guidelines? Just one? 

are you implying that if I move a boat back and forth 6 miles every week between A and B (commonly known as bridge-hopping) that in some way I am satisfying the concept of CCing?

In the OP you said :

I am thinking about buying a boat and spending a large part of the year on the Gloucester Sharpness as a CC.

Can any of you let me know how the canal is for parking as I do have a car.

now you suggest that you are already a "genuine CCer".   please clarify.
Edited by Murflynn

10 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

@Lewisdb

The only true arbiters of if you are moving enough are CRT. What you read on here is just speculation based on what people think is sufficient.

The reality is people's opinion on here doesn't matter a jot.

You will soon know if you come to the attention of CRT and then you will know you are not moving enough, that will be the time to respond.

And when they have slapped a section 8 on the boat or said you can only have a six month licence you can look for a mooring on the estuary or join the NBTA and say how hard done by you are....at least in this case you have been advised it might happen. 

8 hours ago, Lewisdb said:

No, not least because you haven't given enough information. One single out and back trip of 150 miles each way, taking a full year, would be absolutely fine. But going six miles from A to B one weekend, and the next weekend going back from B to A, and repeating every weekend for a year, would not.

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, frangar said:

And when they have slapped a section 8 on the boat or said you can only have a six month licence you can look for a mooring on the estuary or join the NBTA and say how hard done by you are....at least in this case you have been advised it might happen. 

I think by now they will have got the message.

It is up to them what they now do or don't do.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Can you back up that statement with any evidence?  It's completely different to my understanding of how it came to be included in the 1995 Act.

Thanks.

No, I can't -

it all goes back to the days when the internet was text only (!) and Waterways World was published in monochrome and an outfit called British Waterways was still in existance. I don't think Windows 3.1 could do a 'screen grab',

Accordingly M'Lud I have no record,

Sorry,

sorry

What do you have? pretty, please..

7 hours ago, Murflynn said:

and what on earth does "running your plans past CRT" mean in practice?     .....................................    it sounds like a fascinating process.

are you implying that if I move a boat back and forth 6 miles every week between A and B (commonly known as bridge-hopping) that in some way I am satisfying the concept of CCing?

In the OP you said :

I am thinking about buying a boat and spending a large part of the year on the Gloucester Sharpness as a CC.

Can any of you let me know how the canal is for parking as I do have a car.

now you suggest that you are already a "genuine CCer".   please clarify.

I am planning to spend 3-4 months on the G&S this winter then the rest of the year on the K&A and beyond. I will be working from the boat so plan to take in as much of the UK network as possible in the coming years.

If you don't think that would satisfy CC regulations then I would suggest having another read of them. 

I never once said that I planned to take a quick trip anywhere and then move back to the G&S. Most of you just jumped to that conclusion and then accused me of being a chancer who was trying to game the system. 

Not really sure why I'm having to explain this as the original question was about parking but it seems some on here think they have more rights to access the network than others.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Lewisdb said:

I am planning to spend 3-4 months on the G&S this winter then the rest of the year on the K&A and beyond. I will be working from the boat so plan to take in as much of the UK network as possible in the coming years.

If you don't think that would satisfy CC regulations then I would suggest having another read of them. 

I never once said that I planned to take a quick trip anywhere and then move back to the G&S. Most of you just jumped to that conclusion and then accused me of being a chancer who was trying to game the system. 

Not really sure why I'm having to explain this as the original question was about parking but it seems some on here think they have more rights to access the network than others.

so you are not currently a "genuine CCer" ....................  just a new potential boat owner with apparently good intentions.  :unsure:

do you have much (any) experience of travelling the system?

of course you should excuse all the folk who apparently jumped on you in the belief that you intended to CC up and down the G&C - that misconception was the result of you asking where you could park your car.   :rolleyes:

we tend to treat folk as we find them .................  it's worth cogitating that concept IMHO.

2 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

so you are not currently a "genuine CCer" ....................  just a new potential boat owner with apparently good intentions.  :unsure:

do you have much (any) experience of travelling the system?

of course you should excuse all the folk who apparently jumped on you in the belief that you intended to CC up and down the G&C - that misconception was the result of you asking where you could park your car.   :rolleyes:

we tend to treat folk as we find them .................  it's worth cogitating that concept IMHO.

I don't think he gives a poo - like many he just wants info: and then 'we' can foxtrot Oscar... As I read it just because he has some salty water experience he feels he can pop up the Severn without any guidance (or presumably) knowledge of the currents, shoals / whatever.

(Cue Pirates of Penzance  - "I've sailed the Ocean Blue")...

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Why dont people get off this guy's back for gawds sake.

'Cos he was horrid, nasty, and beastly.

The first rule  of joining any forum was 'be polite, obsequious, humble, and grovel a bit' - then when established, up the ante a bit.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

The first rule  of joining any forum was 'be polite, obsequious, humble, and grovel a bit' - then when established, up the ante a bit.

I read it as he gave as good as he got.

If folk hadn't started being arsey, clever and judgemental with him perhaps he might not have responded in the way he did.

9 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I don't think he gives a poo - like many he just wants info: and then 'we' can foxtrot Oscar... As I read it just because he has some salty water experience he feels he can pop up the Severn without any guidance (or presumably) knowledge of the currents, shoals / whatever.

(Cue Pirates of Penzance  - "I've sailed the Ocean Blue")...

Perhaps we should give him SARA’s number so he can have it on speed dial...

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I read it as he gave as good as he got.

If folk hadn't started being arsey, clever and judgemental with him perhaps he might not have responded in the way he did.

Or perhaps offered advice based on many years on the cut.... I still don’t see 3/4 months on a 16 mile cut is going to keep CRT happy and quite rightly so in my opinion. That’s what winter moorings are for. 

39 minutes ago, frangar said:

Or perhaps offered advice based on many years on the cut.... I still don’t see 3/4 months on a 16 mile cut is going to keep CRT happy and quite rightly so in my opinion. That’s what winter moorings are for. 

As Ive already pointed out your opinion is not really worth a lot. You dont represent CRT, work for them in any capacity (correct me if Im wrong).

What matters is what CRT think.

Yes you can suggest what you belive CRT will make of sombodies proposed cruising pattern, its been done adnauseum now,  but at the end of the day the point was made several posts ago, there isnt any real need to keep repeating it in a rather scathing and mocking tone.

He will stand or fall based on his own actions. If he falls you will of course be able to delight in telling everybody 'we told him so'.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

48 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

As I read it just because he has some salty water experience he feels he can pop up the Severn without any guidance (or presumably) knowledge of the currents, shoals / whatever

You're just making stuff up now. It's a bit sad really.

I said that I would travel up the severn with a friend who has been doing that journey for years. 

I also said that I would use a pilot if going from Sharpness to Bristol.

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, OldGoat said:

What do you have? pretty, please..

Sorry, can't find it via my phone.

@NigelMoore posted the minutes of the Select Committee that discussed the whole "boats without a home mooring" thing that ended up being written into the 1995 act.

It has been extensively discussed on here, but none of it ever had anything to with traditional Romany boat dwellers!

Edited by TheBiscuits
Grammar

47 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I tell it as I see it and won't put up with people being rude and insulting. 

And as far as having to grovel a bit as a new member I really don't know where to start.

A forum without new members isn't a forum anymore. How about you have a think about how new members should be treated and spoken to?

• Greenie 4

40 minutes ago, Lewisdb said:

I tell it as I see it and won't put up with people being rude and insulting. 

And as far as having to grovel a bit as a new member I really don't know where to start.

A forum without new members isn't a forum anymore. How about you have a think about how new members should be treated and spoken to?

I'm sure you already know that on any forum you have no option but to put up with whatever is posted.  You can't delete posts and opinions.  You are entitled to respond however you like, but rejecting the advice of many forum members will not endear you to most of us.

Your suggestion that a forum depends on new members is false.  If new members take the time to read previous posts and get acquainted with the way things work then they will generally find this is a welcoming and helpful site.  If new members bounce in from the hinterland and ask leading questions from experienced boating folk, and then don't like the responses then they will feel a cold wind blowing.

We take you as we find you.   Think on ..............................................  :unsure:

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

We take you as we find you.   Think on ..............................................  :unsure:

I wasn't aware of your promotion to 'spokesperson' for 'us'.

Did I miss the memo?

This forum does depend on new members because people die, get peed off and leave, or prefer other social media like the book of Face and switch.

Any suggestion that new members should have to kowtow to the longer serving members is rather reminiscent of being in a prison or a 1950's public school.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

As Ive already pointed out your opinion is not really worth a lot. You dont represent CRT, work for them in any capacity (correct me if Im wrong).

What matters is what CRT think.

Yes you can suggest what you belive CRT will make of sombodies proposed cruising pattern, its been done adnauseum now,  but at the end of the day the point was made several posts ago, there isnt any real need to keep repeating it in a rather scathing and mocking tone.

He will stand or fall based on his own actions. If he falls you will of course be able to delight in telling everybody 'we told him so'.

So now we can’t have an opinion of our own?  Your thoughts are laughable really. I’m not sure forums are for you if you don’t like others having opinions and thoughts. 

Edited by frangar

27 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Your suggestion that a forum depends on new members is false.  

An incredibly short sighted and factually incorrect view.

Every single member of this forum was new once upon a time. Without them there would literally be no members and therefore no forum. 

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, frangar said:

So now we can’t have an opinion of our own?  Your thoughts are laughable really. I’m not sure forums are for you if you don’t like others having opinions and thoughts. 

I'm not sure the problem is having an opinion. It's giving one when noone asked is the problem.

This thread really is case and point. How many of the replies have answered the initial question? Very few. 

Instead it's people jumping to conclusions and quite frankly being rude. 

Edited by Lewisdb
  • Greenie 1