Parking on the Gloucester Sharpness

Lewisdb

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Seems like the OP make the terminal mistake of using the two fateful letters in his initial query "CC".  From then on, many people showed their deeply held prejudice. 

That's surprising, as numerous CWDFers, including some of our most regular and popular posters, are CCers.

Now if  he'd said "Hudson", then there would have been trouble....

Edited by Athy

30 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Seems like the OP make the terminal mistake of using the two fateful letters in his initial query "CC".  From then on, many people showed their deeply held prejudice.  Even when it was clearly stated that they were wrong in their preconceptions, they refused to acknowledge it and pipe down.  Quite sad really.

you still haven't given us any evidence for accepting what was said ........ "a genuine CCer"   ...... which appears to be no more than a statement of good intentions from a newbie to the canals who quite possibly has no real concept of what is involved.

if a newbie comes on full of plans (dreams?) and good intentions it is only reasonable for experienced boaters to ask direct questions which may cause him to reflect on the practicality of what he proposes to do.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's surprising, as numerous CWDFers, including some of our most regular and popular posters, are CCers.

Which serves to highlight the difference between how established forum members and newcomers arwe treated.

2 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

you still haven't given us any evidence for accepting what was said ........ "a genuine CCer"   ...... which appears to be no more than a statement of good intentions from a newbie to the canals who quite possibly has no real concept of what is involved.

if a newbie comes on full of plans (dreams?) and good intentions it is only reasonable for experienced boaters to ask direct questions which may cause him to reflect on the practicality of what he proposes to do.

Why on earth are you still talking about evidence?  He has said that he's corresponded with CRT and they've said it's fine.  It's a discussion forum, not a court!  Repeatedly asking for evidence tacitly implies that you suspect the other person is a liar.  But more to the point, why do you even care?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Which serves to highlight the difference between how established forum members and newcomers are treated.

No, I can see no evidence of that: numerous CWDFers, including some of our most regular and popular posters, are not CCers. 

24 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

He has said that he's corresponded with CRT and they've said it's fine.

no he didn't.  He said "a genuine CC'r who has run his plans past CRT" which could mean something or nothing.  I questioned this and he never clarified what this involved.   For all we know he met a bloke on the cut who was employed by CRT and he said "it's fine".

if he corresponded with CRT and got a written reply then it would seem reasonable to know exactly what cruising pattern was proposed and found to be acceptable.

13 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

no he didn't.  He said "a genuine CC'r who has run his plans past CRT" which could mean something or nothing.  I questioned this and he never clarified what this involved.   For all we know he met a bloke on the cut who was employed by CRT and he said "it's fine".

if he corresponded with CRT and got a written reply then it would seem reasonable to know exactly what cruising pattern was proposed and found to be acceptable.

Maybe he has explained to C&RT that he has school aged children so they have OK'd his reduced CCing plans during term time (Apparently they have done this for a number of the "No Boats Travel Anywhere" brigade).

Travellers with children can remain withing 5km of the school and then take longer trips in school holidays - here is an example of movement requirements from a C&RT presentation, based on North Church School (Nr Cowroast)

Screenshot (322).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't.

How do explain it?

I don't understand what there is to explain - am I looking at the correct post ?

Post 223

Yes... a few years ago I asked where I could park my car in Lymm on The Bridgewater. Got some great answers, very quickly, and all was good.

Cant believe the kind of answers some people provide to some questions here.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't understand what there is to explain - am I looking at the correct post ?

Post 223

Yes... a few years ago I asked where I could park my car in Lymm on The Bridgewater. Got some great answers, very quickly, and all was good.

No, post 223 is from Dave Payne who comments "What a horrible thread this has turned into".

At least, it is on my screen - I seem to recall that sometimes posts have different numbers of various people's screens. The wonders of I.T. never cease.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, post 223 is from Dave Payne who comments "What a horrible thread this has turned into".

At least, it is on my screen - I seem to recall that sometimes posts have different numbers of various people's screens. The wonders of I.T. never cease.

I believe that 'mods' post numbers are different because you get to see / include all the hidden posts.

Screenshot (323)_LI.jpg

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

So I didn't say " 

Just for further clarity (not that I feel I should have to). I have exchanged emails with CRT and they are more than happy with my plans"

As for publishing my "evidence". That has nothing whatsoever to do with you.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Steve56 said:

Why is this going on for so long. The op only wanted to know his options for parking a car. Surely if he wanted to know about continuous cruising he would have asked.

Sometimes newbies don't know what they don't know and don't know what questions they need to ask.

Having posted :

I am thinking about buying a boat and spending a large part of the year on the Gloucester Sharpness as a CC.

It's not unreasonable to explain that he is unlikely to satisfy the navigation authorities CC requirements on a 16 mile stretch of water.

The intent was to be helpful, but it seems that as it was not what the OP wanted to be told & he has taken offence at the offered advice.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sometimes newbies don't know what they don't know and don't know what questions they need to ask.

Having posted :

I am thinking about buying a boat and spending a large part of the year on the Gloucester Sharpness as a CC.

It's not unreasonable to explain that he is unlikely to satisfy the navigation authorities CC requirements on a 16 mile stretch of water.

The intent was to be helpful, but it seems that as it was not what the OP wanted to be told & he has taken offence at the offered advice.

When did I say that I intended to meet the CC regs by staying on a 16 mile stretch? You literally make stuff up and you go along.

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I believe that 'mods' post numbers are different because you get to see / include all the hidden posts.

That is plausible, though I can see no reason for a hidden post to lose its number. But I'm sure the computer knows best.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Having posted :

I think it was assumed by a load of trolls that he needed put in his place!

• Greenie 1

Just now, Lewisdb said:

It would appear that new members get warned for calling someone an "idiot" but it's ok for long standing members to call someone a "pisstaker"?

And let's not make this really embarrassing and make it about semantics 

To some.

Nothing wrong with Semantics, they're fine people and Semantia is a beautiful country.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

That is plausible, though I can see no reason for a hidden post to lose its number. But I'm sure the computer knows best.

hiding the post [amin and mod] s can see it, so it still exists, but the surface [visib,e] posts are re-numbered.

13 minutes ago, Lewisdb said:

So I didn't say " 

Just for further clarity (not that I feel I should have to). I have exchanged emails with CRT and they are more than happy with my plans"

As for publishing my "evidence". That has nothing whatsoever to do with you.

If you publish what CaRT has said it would help others that want to use the G&S to CC. Maybe you don't want to help others but you did expect others to help you with your request for parking info. Interchange of info. is an integral part of boating after all.

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

hiding the post [amin and mod] s can see it, so it still exists, but the surface [visible] posts are re-numbered.

Oh Jo, please don't compare us with him. We're gentle souls.

Yes, that's what I said, but why should they be?

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Oh Jo, please don't compare us with him. We're gentle souls.

Yes, that's what I said, but why should they be?

And unless Dora has developed Mod 'powers' why is she referring to post numbers that Mods have, or, did she really mean that she needs this one explaining ?

Post 223

Confused.