Parking on the Gloucester Sharpness

Lewisdb

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

No. Anything parked on the highway in any way can be considered an obstruction at any time. 

For example:
1/ Our town has a street market every Saturday morning. Any car that is parked in the street that morning can be removed (and has been) because they were obstructing the Highway and impinging on the Market space.

2/ Boater leaves his car on the side of the road whilst going for a cruise. Whilst away road needs to be repaired and it's in the way. The car is therefore causing an obstruction and can be removed. 

You really can be utterly tiresome at times.

Utterly utterly tiresome.

Firstly parking against market place regulations has nothing to do with what is being discussed, the subject being discussed is 'parking considerately'.

Our market place has clear signage, to park in contravention of those would not be being considerate.

How commonly does your second scenario occur to a boater?

So infrequent as to be virtually insignificant.

11 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

2/ Boater leaves his car on the side of the road whilst going for a cruise. Whilst away road needs to be repaired and it's in the way. The car is therefore causing an obstruction and can be removed. 

Wasn't there a Tony Hancock episode where it transpired that Hancock had left his car parked in the same spot for so long that the Council had resurfaced the road around it two or three times, and the car was now sat in its own local depression?

19 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

No. Anything parked on the highway in any way can be considered an obstruction at any time. 

For example:
1/ Our town has a street market every Saturday morning. Any car that is parked in the street that morning can be removed (and has been) because they were obstructing the Highway and impinging on the Market space.

I remember the good old days when most urban streets had limited parking - parking was only allowed, on alternate sides of the street, on successive days.  So nobody could leave a car/caravan/trailer on the road unless they were prepared to move it every day.  Made sense.  Then the current wave of universal entitlement came in and people believed the roads had been built to allow them to park (store) their car/cars on the public highway.

Let us hope that the current rules on mooring boats are not denuded in the same way.

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Wasn't there a Tony Hancock episode where it transpired that Hancock had left his car parked in the same spot for so long that the Council had resurfaced the road around it two or three times, and the car was now sat in its own local depression?

Hancock - depression ?     :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

In what way does giving reasonable, and probably true, examples constitute being "tiresome"?

33 minutes ago, Athy said:

In what way does giving reasonable, and probably true, examples constitute being "tiresome"?

Its set out in the parts of my post you didnt quote.

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I can think of a few.

Keep them in your thoughts!

Of s "tiresome" is hardly a mortal insult, but your post was reported by a member, so please be careful.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Keep them in your thoughts!

Of s "tiresome" is hardly a mortal insult, but your post was reported by a member, so please be careful.

Compared to some of the stuff that flies around on here there must be an incredible number of reports?

Edited by The Happy Nomad
Remove double quote

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Compared to some of the stuff that flies around on here there must be an incredible number of reports?

I think I know what you mean.

It goes in phases but yes, at times we're kept pretty busy!

13 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Firstly parking against market place regulations has nothing to do with what is being discussed, the subject being discussed is 'parking considerately'.

Our market place has clear signage, to park in contravention of those would not be being considerate.

How commonly does your second scenario occur to a boater?

So infrequent as to be virtually insignificant.

Perhaps it's about time you learnt how to be polite.

21 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Perhaps it's about time you learnt how to be polite.

Priceless.

" I can see the huge chip on his shoulder from here."

"You're wrong, as usual."

"stop being a troll"

and more.

Now I'm not sure how 'polite' is defined in Wales but I'm not sure you are in the best position to suggest somebody is being impolite.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Does this help ?

Yn gwrtais, yn ymddwyn yn barchus ac yn ystyriol o bobl eraill neu'n dangos ymddygiad.

Precisely. Though I admit I did have to use Google translate.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I think "factual" would be a better choice of adjective.

What some describe as factual, other describe as nit-picking.  If someone describes something as tiresome, than it would be factual to say they find it tiresome (unless they we lying maybe).  Others may find it less tiresome.  What is also factually true is that non-boaters could park their car on a street and then go on holiday, so Graham's second point is irrelevant at best.  His first point has already been ably dismissed as irrelevant.

9 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

What some describe as factual, other describe as nit-picking. 

The two need not be mutually exclusive. For example, if I suggested that the sixth word should be "others", that might fit both epithets.

So I won't.

Edited by Athy

9 hours ago, Murflynn said:

I remember the good old days when most urban streets had limited parking - parking was only allowed, on alternate sides of the street, on successive days.  So nobody could leave a car/caravan/trailer on the road unless they were prepared to move it every day.  Made sense.  Then the current wave of universal entitlement came in and people believed the roads had been built to allow them to park (store) their car/cars on the public highway.

Bit like boating on the canals

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That has been the tone for the vast majority of his (10) posts.

But of course if CC rules don't apply, then probably neither do forum rules.

I guess he’s yet another one who’s miffed he’s been told some truths he didn’t want to hear...in reality he should be grateful that the advice given might have saved him a load of hassle not to mention cash. Hey ho! 

1 hour ago, frangar said:

I guess he’s yet another one who’s miffed he’s been told some truths he didn’t want to hear...in reality he should be grateful that the advice given might have saved him a load of hassle not to mention cash. Hey ho! 

'Tis the way of the current world - ignore the need / rules of 'whatever' and do what you want - however feel free to solicit information to achieve that the poor mugs who do their best to conform.

Perhaps it's time for CRT to abolish the CC rules (which were initially intended to accommodate real 'travellers' of the Romany tradition who had lived on the system for some generations).

2 hours ago, frangar said:

And you are rather rude! 

Rude. How about accusing a genuine CC'r who has run his plans past CRT who have absolutely no problem with them as being a chancer who wants to live cheap on the cut while ignoring the rules?

Perhaps you should all have a long hard think about how you treat new members/boaters! 

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

'Tis the way of the current world - ignore the need / rules of 'whatever' and do what you want - however feel free to solicit information to achieve that the poor mugs who do their best to conform.

Perhaps it's time for CRT to abolish the CC rules (which were initially intended to accommodate real 'travellers' of the Romany tradition who had lived on the system for some generations).

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

Can you back up that statement with any evidence?  It's completely different to my understanding of how it came to be included in the 1995 Act.

Thanks.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Lewisdb said:

Rude. How about accusing a genuine CC'r who has run his plans past CRT who have absolutely no problem with them as being a chancer who wants to live cheap on the cut while ignoring the rules?

I hope you got it in writing, because it certainly doesn't agree with past experiences.