Parking on the Gloucester Sharpness

Lewisdb

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Do you have the experience and a suitable boat for the cruising the tidal Severn down to Bristol?

Yes and yes. I've been sailing for 20 years, including 2 atlantic crossings. 

I love the way everyone has assumed that 1. I don't know my way around a boat and 2. I'm looking to game the CC regs. 

I said I would be spending a large part of the year in the G&S. It's my intention to spend the winter months there and the rest of the year on other parts of the network. But hey, let's all jump to conclusions. 

Thanks guys

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, Lewisdb said:

I love the way everyone has assumed that 1. I don't know my way around a boat and 2. I'm looking to game the CC regs. 

I said I would be spending a large part of the year in the G&S. It's my intention to spend the winter months there and the rest of the year on other parts of the network. But hey, let's all jump to conclusions.

But spending months CCing in one relatively small area, then going off on a trip further afield is gaming the CC rules.  If you want to stay in one area over the winter months you need to take (and pay for) a winter mooring.

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But spending months CCing in one relatively small area, then going off on a trip further afield is gaming the CC rules.  If you want to stay in one area over the winter months you need to take (and pay for) a winter mooring.

What we should all remember is that new members rarely come here to find out anything, rather they just want to be told "your plans are fine, no one bothers about the rules" (much as they'd get from friends and sycophants on Facebook) Simply saying "I am thinking about buying a boat and spending a large part of the year on the Gloucester Sharpness as a CC." is obviously going to lead to some helpful suggestions that he might struggle to comply with the CC Rules.

Then the accusations come about making assumptions, which have to be made because the original post tells nothing about either the boat, or the boater.

We now know the OP has sailed across the Atlantic (twice) but still have no idea if he is planning to use a "River / Sea" worthy boat, or a Canal boat for his 'Lumpy water' (Severn & Avon) journeys.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Lewisdb said:

Yes and yes. I've been sailing for 20 years, including 2 atlantic crossings. 

Thanks guys

I made no assumptions, I asked a simple question.

And whilst you might assume you have plenty of experience I suggest that before you consider venturing into the Severn between Sharpness and Avonmouth you have a serious talk to one of the Pilots that you will need to employ. It isn't as simple as you think.

As for parking, you might be able to arrange something at Sharpness Docks. There are pubs and clubs there that might allow it. The road comes close at Purton but parking is extremely limited there. There might be short term possibilities as Slimbridge, but generally outside Gloucester you are likely to find it very limited. 

Edited by Graham Davis

22 hours ago, RichM said:

There seems to be a lot of CCer's on the G&S to be fair and that has been the case for years, whether or not they all comply with the rules I do not know. It is a very pleasant canal with a real sense of community and ideal for those who are less keen on locks. (I'd have them all electrified if it were up to me. :) )

I say, that's a bit harsh on people who are less keen on locks! ??

Edited by cuthound
To remove a duplicate post
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

"I am thinking about buying a boat and spending a large part of the year on the Gloucester Sharpness as a CC." is obviously going to lead to some helpful suggestions that he might struggle to comply with the CC Rules.

I am not going to struggle complying with CC rules by spending 3/4 months on the G&S and 8-9 months covering another 200+ miles on other parts of the network.

12 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

And whilst you might assume you have plenty of experience I suggest that before you consider venturing into the Severn between Sharpness and Avonmouth you have a serious talk to one of the Pilots that you will need to employ. It isn't as simple as you think.

Thanks. I would pay a pilot to take me to Avonmouth until confident and competent enough to do so alone.

Also the severn/avon route to Tewkesbury is doable to access other parts of the network and I know someone who has done the route for years that would accompany me.

12 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

As for parking, you might be able to arrange something at Sharpness Docks. There are pubs and clubs there that might allow it. The road comes close at Purton but parking is extremely limited there. There might be short term possibilities as Slimbridge, but generally outside Gloucester you are likely to find it very limited. 

Very useful thanks. I wouldn't mind renting a space in a pub car park with the proviso that I have my fill once or twice a week ?

2 minutes ago, Lewisdb said:

I am not going to struggle complying with CC rules by spending 3/4 months on the G&S and 8-9 months covering another 200+ miles on other parts of the network.

You have unfortunately stumbled into the nest of vipers that is CWDF.

Some, being completely unable to answer your question have tried to call into question your motives rather than answering your original question.

It happens a lot, unfortunately. They think it makes them look clever.

But if you wait along somebody may actually be able to answer your question.

Then the accusations come about making assumptions, which have to be made because the original post tells nothing about either the boat, or the boater.

We now know the OP has sailed across the Atlantic (twice) but still have no idea if he is planning to use a "River / Sea" worthy boat, or a Canal boat for his 'Lumpy water' (Severn & Avon) journeys.

This has turned into a bit of a muddle. 

I didn't mention me or the boat because I really just wanted to know about parking on the canal. 

I got the hump a little when it was implied I'd be gaming the rules when I have no intention of doing so.

I intend to cover as much of the country as possible. 

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You have unfortunately stumbled into the nest of vipers that is CWDF.

Some, being completely unable to answer your question have tried to call into question your motives rather than answering your original question.

It happens a lot, unfortunately. They think it makes them look clever.

But if you wait along somebody may actually be able to answer your question.

Cheers ?

Thanks for taking the time.

Edited by Lewisdb
  • Greenie 2

12 hours ago, Lewisdb said:

This has turned into a bit of a muddle. 

I didn't mention me or the boat because I really just wanted to know about parking on the canal. 

I got the hump a little when it was implied I'd be gaming the rules when I have no intention of doing so.

I intend to cover as much of the country as possible. 

Cheers ?

Thanks for taking the time.

Just ignore them Lewis.  This forum is full of know-it-all old gits who can't help but find fault with others, especially if they suspect they're inexperienced.  No wonder the active pool of posters dwindles year on year.  I looked on this thread in the hope that someone had actually answered your question, as it's info I might find useful too.  I wonder how many critisizing you have even cruised the G&S??

To those, speculating on what sort of boat the OP has, how's this?:

"None of your business" and "What has that got to do with places to park near the canal?"

I CC with a car.  I find google streetview to be very helpful.  There's all those lift bridges across the G&S, so that should indicate plenty of parking.

The first bridge I looked at showed:

image.png.d9a1632e002a2f73aae72a999aeff335.png

• Greenie 1
  • Love 2

28 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Just ignore them Lewis.  This forum is full of know-it-all old gits who can't help but find fault with others, especially if they suspect they're inexperienced.  No wonder the active pool of posters dwindles year on year.  I looked on this thread in the hope that someone had actually answered your question, as it's info I might find useful too.  I wonder how many critisizing you have even cruised the G&S??

"None of your business" and "What has that got to do with places to park near the canal?"

I CC with a car.  I find google streetview to be very helpful.  There's all those lift bridges across the G&S, so that should indicate plenty of parking.

The first bridge I looked at showed:

image.png.d9a1632e002a2f73aae72a999aeff335.png

Isn't that where you are supposed to wait to cross the bridge if cars are coming the other way.

40 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Whilst I applaud the work SARA does surely pointing out the issues before the OP buys a boat is in OP’s interest rather than yet another call out to a poorly prepared boat & crew. 

I also think trying to cc even the winter on the G & S is taking the piss. 

And if that makes me a grumpy old git then so be it. I’ve been accused of a lot worse!!

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

Whilst I applaud the work SARA does surely pointing out the issues before the OP buys a boat is in OP’s interest rather than yet another call out to a poorly prepared boat & crew. 

I also think trying to cc even the winter on the G & S is taking the piss. 

And if that makes me a grumpy old git then so be it. I’ve been accused of a lot worse!!

If it were done in a way that is clearly intended to aid the OP then maybe so, but it isn’t.

Spending winter on the G&S would not probably not preclude compliance with minimum legal requirements in itself. Whether it conforms to everybody’s notion of CCing isn’t the issue. I know of CCers who over winter on the Droitwich yet I don’t doubt they are operating somewhere between the minimum legal requirements and the notion that CCing requires a continuous journey around the network. It’s just that they are at different ends of that spectrum at different times of the year. I doubt they are in any danger of enforcement. Nor do I think they are taking the piss, far from it.

JP

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, Lewisdb said:

Thanks. I would pay a pilot to take me to Avonmouth until confident and competent enough to do so alone.

I would suggest that you discuss that proposal with the Severn pilots! 
The lower Severn really is not the place to go without a pilot, no matter what your experience. The pilots will tell you that the channel can change each tide, and that each tide is different to the last one. It is not predictable.
You may also find that your boat insurance insist on you taking on a pilot for that passage.

29 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

If it were done in a way that is clearly intended to aid the OP then maybe so, but it isn’t.

Spending winter on the G&S would not probably not preclude compliance with minimum legal requirements in itself. Whether it conforms to everybody’s notion of CCing isn’t the issue. I know of CCers who over winter on the Droitwich yet I don’t doubt they are operating somewhere between the minimum legal requirements and the notion that CCing requires a continuous journey around the network. It’s just that they are at different ends of that spectrum at different times of the year. I doubt they are in any danger of enforcement. Nor do I think they are taking the piss, far from it.

JP

Well said!  And let's not forget the OP wasn't asking about CC compliance.  He was asking about car parking.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Isn't that where you are supposed to wait to cross the bridge if cars are coming the other way.

Funny that there's no visible signage and the road is clearly wide enough for 2 cars to pass then.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Well said!  And let's not forget the OP wasn't asking about CC compliance.  He was asking about car parking.

Funny that there's no visible signage and the road is clearly wide enough for 2 cars to pass then.

The council have put double yellow lines either side of all bridges on the G&S.

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

But when the bridge is open there is a queue each end of the bridge and if the cars that end come to the line others coming the other way cant pass We get the same on country lains where people park in the passing places

There are a number of places along the G&S where you can park a vehicle. Most of these are roadside parking close to the bridges. But you need to be aware that there have been a number of break ins over the years, and also damage to vehicles. Also I think the locals get very upset about the problems caused by these vehicles.

See Case 966 re CCing on the G&S.

http://www.waterways-ombudsman.org/publications/case-summaries/2017-18-case-summaries/

Living where we do if we use the car we have to cross at least one of the bridges, I can only think of 2 of the 18 with 2 way traffic, REA bridge that Dora used as an example is no way 2 way (except for pushbikes). The 2 which are 2 way are the only lift bridges, the rest are swing bridges, all manned at this time of year, some handraulic,  some powered.

The only parking which I can think of  which is "unchecked" and used regularly by boaters long term  is roadside N of Parkend Bridge. 

Edited by sharpness
Forgot the link
  • Greenie 2