Marina South of Knowle?

Richard T

Featured Posts

Thanks for that but there is nothing about it on the SMBC's planning website.

Lots of applications for things at Stripes Hill Farm, the location of the proposed marina, but only the one linked to in my OP and an earlier one for outline planning permission.

Looks like its going to happen:

Notice Alert

Grand Union Canal
Location: Between Bridge 68 Bakers Lane Bridge to Bridge 69 Block Boy bridge, Grand Union Canal
Starts At: Bridge 68, Bakers Lane
Ends At: Bridge 69, Black Boy Bridge
Up Stream Winding Hole: Heronfield Winding Hole 
Down Stream Winding Hole: Kingswood Junction Winding Hole

Friday 26 June 2020 08:00 until Saturday 31 October 2020 18:00

Type: Navigation Restriction 
Reason: (Re)Construction

Original message:

Navigation restrictions apply during the construction of a new marina entrance at Bakers Lane in Knowle. This section of canal will become a controlled passage with a traffic light system in place. Please be prepared to wait for a few minutes and follow the light signals and instructions. Thank you for your co-operation and patience.

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes. Answering my own question I had a look on the planning page of Solihull M.B.C's website.

Planning Application

Planning permission for a 223 berth off line marina plus associated development was refused, 21/12/2009.

I seem to remember some discussion a long time back about work having started before planning consent was granted.

I tend to think large marinas like the proposed are horrible, bleak, wind swept places but somewhere to buy diesel between Knowle Bottom and Hatton Top Locks (the five mile pound?) would not be a bad thing.

The one linked to was the proposal at the bottom of the locks, with the road access from by the garden centre.  I rather hoped that would have gone ahead.

25 minutes ago, Heartland said:

So why have the CRT put out the notice, which has appeared in the post of 2009? 

The stoppage notice for between bridges 68 and 69, where I show on the image above, came out today with work to start on the entrance on 26 June.

38 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Looks like its going to happen:

Notice Alert

Grand Union Canal
Location: Between Bridge 68 Bakers Lane Bridge to Bridge 69 Block Boy bridge, Grand Union Canal
Starts At: Bridge 68, Bakers Lane
Ends At: Bridge 69, Black Boy Bridge
Up Stream Winding Hole: Heronfield Winding Hole 
Down Stream Winding Hole: Kingswood Junction Winding Hole

Friday 26 June 2020 08:00 until Saturday 31 October 2020 18:00

Type: Navigation Restriction 
Reason: (Re)Construction

Original message:

Navigation restrictions apply during the construction of a new marina entrance at Bakers Lane in Knowle. This section of canal will become a controlled passage with a traffic light system in place. Please be prepared to wait for a few minutes and follow the light signals and instructions. Thank you for your co-operation and patience.

See the other thread.  This is a different location.

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Thanks for that but there is nothing about it on the SMBC's planning website.

Lots of applications for things at Stripes Hill Farm, the location of the proposed marina, but only the one linked to in my OP and an earlier one for outline planning permission.

There won't be as the area between the Black Boy and Bakers Lane  bridges is not in Solihull. It is covered by Warwick District Council. That said, on Warwick's planning website I can only find this 2009 application, which is still yet to be validated.

https://planningdocuments.warwickdc.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_WARWI_DCAPR_57005

16 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There won't be as the area between the Black Boy and Bakers Lane  bridges is not in Solihull. It is covered by Warwick District Council. That said, on Warwick's planning website I can only find this 2009 application, which is still yet to be validated.

https://planningdocuments.warwickdc.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_WARWI_DCAPR_57005

It would appear to have been granted in 2011

https://planningdocuments.warwickdc.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=_WARWI_DCAPR_60225&activeTab=summary

Certificate of lawfulness issued in January

https://planningdocuments.warwickdc.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=_WARWI_DCAPR_85006&activeTab=summary

Edited by Tim Lewis

39 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Very weird.  So it looks like it just a funny strip of moorings rather than what you would think of as a marina, based on what was excavated some years ago.

The portion that was dug out looked to be a rich source of gravel, perhaps the plan is to earn on the extraction of this and finish off with a marina. I am aware of plans to quarry on a large scale in several local areas, possibly Hs2 related?

35 minutes ago, BWM said:

The portion that was dug out looked to be a rich source of gravel, perhaps the plan is to earn on the extraction of this and finish off with a marina. I am aware of plans to quarry on a large scale in several local areas, possibly Hs2 related?

The development - for just 20 boats - will produce a tiny quantity of material in relation to what HS2 may need.

In addition the application is described as " Construction of new canal side moorings and spreading of spoil onto adjoining land."

1 hour ago, BWM said:

The drawingS on the planning permission are sketchy to say the least, but it is just a channel parallel to the canal to take boats moored down each side with presumably space for a boat to pass down the middle.  That looks to be quite close to the bit that is already dug out.  This is not what you would consider as a marina in the normal sense.

Thanks, i haven't read through any of the planning documents and only heard about it yesterday through a local group. On that scale it seems hardly worth the work involved in connecting and digging out - if it is as gravelly as it looks i would imagine it may not help water levels!

1 hour ago, BWM said:

Thanks, i haven't read through any of the planning documents and only heard about it yesterday through a local group. On that scale it seems hardly worth the work involved in connecting and digging out - if it is as gravelly as it looks i would imagine it may not help water levels!

Before CART allow the final connection to a new marina the operator has to prove that the marina is watertight over a period of at least 14 days.  They call it the spillage test and I think details are in the New Marinas guff available from the CRT New Marinas unit.  Fundamentals are: fill marina, insert two sets of stop planks in the entrance, pump out water between plank sets.  Check level Wait 14 days.  Check level

Allow for rainfall and evaporation.  

N

7 hours ago, BEngo said:

Before CART allow the final connection to a new marina the operator has to prove that the marina is watertight over a period of at least 14 days.  They call it the spillage test and I think details are in the New Marinas guff available from the CRT New Marinas unit.  Fundamentals are: fill marina, insert two sets of stop planks in the entrance, pump out water between plank sets.  Check level Wait 14 days.  Check level

N

That sounds sensible, i haven't seen as much as a puddle in what had been dug but they may have made progress since i last passed that way.

On 11/06/2020 at 10:38, BEngo said:

N

I had a look today and some work has clearly been done, although i have never seen the connection made between marina and canal before it has been dug. Considering the torrential rain of last night (40-50ml), leading to nearby roads being flooded, it doesn't appear to be holding water!

Was going to attach a couple of pictures but there appears to be a size limit preventing me from doing so. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Searching the Internet regarding this new (to us) mooring site and came across this old thread.

Anyone know who operates the moorings ?

There's no signage and whilst two or three boats are in there, it doesn't look like a finished project.

Just curious, thanks.

Rog

20240302_091211.jpg

Edited by dogless