Do you use a tea pot?

jenevers

Featured Posts

Just now, Jerra said:

Basically "he isn't far from correct".

Well I've never heard that before but, now that you have explained it, it does make sense. So, rather like "He's not far wrong"?

I've forgotten where you live,and therefore where this saying presumably originates; is it Cumbria?

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

Well I've never heard that before but, now that you have explained it, it does make sense. So, rather like "He's not far wrong"?

I've forgotten where you live,and therefore where this saying presumably originates; is it Cumbria?

Correct!   I am a proud Cumbria.  Born, bred and resident.

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, Athy said:

Evidently a local usage with which some of us may not be familiar. What did he mean?

I didn't know either...

32 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Basically "he isn't far from correct".

Thank you :)

Here's my essential tea mashing equipment, which gets used at least every year, whether anyone wants a cup of tea or not.

It makes a rotten brew, but it's tradition 'innit?  And we have to be ever mindful that anyone's photo taken today may turn up in a magazine 80 years from now.  Don't forget we have a duty to confuse and confuddle future generations as to our quaint and totally unrealistic traditions.

My word how they jingle and jangle against the hanging up plates every time we ram the cill.

Storing this little lot in the cabin has of course meant there is no room for the kids inside with us and the dog, so they have to sleep in the false cratch with their Grandparents.

Measham.jpg

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Loose tea in a pot here. Suspect that the bag bit of tea bags is mostly plastic as they don't rot down when composted at all. Since tea is my drug of choice going to loose leaf is my bit for reducing plastic use. Tea strainers used to be rubbish when I was a little un and left you straining the leaves out with your teeth. You can now get very fine mesh non-rubbish tea strainers.

Jen ?

Like you, when I found that tea bags don’t rot completely I switch to loose tea. 
Made in a pot, warmed first. And I do the one for the pot too. 
I Like the tea very strong. 
And can’t be arsed with a strainer. 

I like mixing teas, putting together whatever’s left. PG tips and earl grey, and some others I can’t spell. 

loose tea not always easy to find

cant do herbal teas 

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

PG tips and earl grey, and some others I can’t spell. 

Tie-Phoe?

Yarkshire?

Lapsang Toostrong?

13 minutes ago, Goliath said:

loose tea not always easy to find

Best kept in a caddy, that prevents it from straying too far when you aren't looking.

Tea bags are fine if you leave them in for long enough to mash. My personal favourite is Aldi Gold.

I don't believe for a moment that one bag is enough for three mugs, though - not if the mugs are the same capacity as we have in our house. That would be over a litre of weak tea!

I drink a lot more tea than coffee, because making proper coffee is a considerable faff.

39 minutes ago, Goliath said:

cant do herbal teas 

Totally agree.   As far as I am concerned a herbal tea fit for purpose.   For me to be called tea it has to be the dried leaves of Camelia chinensis.

EDIT to add Sainbury's do at least a couple of leaf teas and Eteaket and Tea Pigs are good for online.

Edited by Jerra

42 minutes ago, Athy said:

Tie-Phoe?

Yarkshire?

Lapsang Toostrong?

Best kept in a caddy, that prevents it from straying too far when you aren't looking.

That’s the one Lapsang Souchong!

(googled it ?)

The other’s Assam. 

I find they’re nicer to drink when I’ve  ran out milk. 

Edited by Goliath

22 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Totally agree.   As far as I am concerned a herbal tea fit for purpose.   For me to be called tea it has to be the dried leaves of Camelia chinensis.

EDIT to add Sainbury's do at least a couple of leaf teas and Eteaket and Tea Pigs are good for online.

Just looked on eBay, I can buy them all there. ?

26 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Herbal teas are a con, they smell all lush and fruity and taste like slightly odd water, hot ribeana if you want a hot fruity drink.

I had a dabble with a proper pot and will occasionally treat myself but normally it's a typhoo in my pint mug

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

That’s the one Lapsang Souchong!

(googled it ?)

The other’s Assam. 

I find they’re nicer to drink when I’ve  ran out milk. 

Lapsang, bleagh, tried it, nope and nope again :)

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I believe the term is "tisane".

I nearly said that but when I checked the spelling one s or two it implied it needed to be medicinal.   To me many taste as bad as medicine but probably aren't medicinal.

48 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I believe the term is "tisane".

If you're French, yes.

"Infusion" will fit the bill in both languages.

Edited by Athy

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

If you're French, yes.

"Infusion" will fit the bill in both languages.

I would agree infusion would fit the bill, however:

Tisane    Etymology   From Anglo-Norman tysanne

Latin I believe is tisana

So perhaps not as clear cut French as it may seem, like most of our language a mongrel mix of all our waves of immigration.

Edited by Jerra
  • Haha 1

We have a glass teapot with a removable strainer in the middle which is removed when the tea is brewed to avoid stewed second cups. A bit like this one: https://www.procook.co.uk/product/procook-glass-teapot-12l?fo_c=1344&fo_k=7becf586b002c0745c094be462e2443e&fo_s=gplauk&gclid=Cj0KCQjww_f2BRC-ARIsAP3zarGZPUOYY-7SEEqoLjWUEIjM4LH1aMYF54naHNnywXWdhFVusdwuDn0aAq-EEALw_wcB

Our favourite tea is Royal Blend from Fortnum & Masons

8 hours ago, jenevers said:

I get 3 STRONG mugs of tea from a single tea bag, when using my tea pot. I wonder how many people use a tea bag in each mug. 

Depends on your definition of strong!

C has 2 teabags per mug and it must be a proper china mug, as for milk any more than the amount you can get in the milk container lid is to much.

Her tea is the same colour or darker than my coffee ;)

33 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Depends on your definition of strong!

C has 2 teabags per mug and it must be a proper china mug, as for milk any more than the amount you can get in the milk container lid is to much.

Her tea is the same colour or darker than my coffee ;)

I take my tea black, I spent 6 months in Canada helping some friends to make their knackered house winter proof, as they were both vegans milk wasn't available, no problem I got used to it quickly and I never really liked milk anyway so never used it apart from my brew.

Anyway back in the UK, i was looking forward to my first proper brew with milk, foul absolutely foul, never put milk in my brew ever again.

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

When I’m offered a cup/mug of tea I tend to ask for the tea bag to be left in. Then the brew gets better as it goes down. Lovely.

And never with sugar. 

do you find like John Shuttleworth:

“one cup of tea is never enough, but two is one two many”

Strong black with 1 level spoon of brown sugar.

Saying all this, I seem to wake up to more cold brews than i actually drink nowadays :)

• Greenie 1