Schrodinger's canals - both open and closed

Featured Posts

56 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I have Schrodinger's bicycle in the garage - I left it there, it may or may not have been stolen, but I won't know until I open the garage door

If you find it has been stolen then it won't have been stolen until you opened the door.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

It's a more common reference than your use of the word nonce :)  

I would imagine that would depend on the circles you mix in :)

3 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Quantum immortality, and parallel universes,  Mandella effects, the world is truly a strange place.

Truly 

Back to the subject, I think that marina operators need to try to make sense of this guidance, which as far as I can see is the most appropriate of the 8 workplace documents published today. One can see how different operators reach very different conclusions. And the RYA are lobbing in their 2p-worth as well....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/construction-and-other-outdoor-work

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19

40 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Back to the subject, I think that marina operators need to try to make sense of this guidance, which as far as I can see is the most appropriate of the 8 workplace documents published today. One can see how different operators reach very different conclusions. And the RYA are lobbing in their 2p-worth as well....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/construction-and-other-outdoor-work

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19

Presumably, marinas are getting paid their mooring fees, whether boats are used or not and, even if they were to open up for boaters to access their boats, it is unlikely that they would open up their other money making facilities, (chandlery, cafe, workshop, slip, drydock, etc..).

In the above scenario, there is no motivation for them to open up to boaters, given that it would be a load of hassle, for no return whatsoever. In fact, it may even cost them to do it.

I would guess that most would be looking for every way of wriggling out of providing part of the service they have contracted to provide, and they will probably be able to justify doing so.

Just some thoughts :) 

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

And none of this applies in Wales, where we are still on the same strict lock-down we were before.
So,
WALES IS STILL CLOSED!!

Given Wales' dependancy on the overall UK economy, I guess they can afford to be.

Much the same as Scotland really.

Both decisions were IMHO based on Wales and Scotland asserting their 'fake' independence.

42 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Given Wales' dependancy on the overall UK economy, I guess they can afford to be.

Both decisions were IMHO based on Wales and Scotland asserting their 'fake' independence.

You forgot to insult Northern Ireland as well.

There are always politics at play but both Wales and Scotland signalled well before the PMs announcement what the countries wanted to do i.e. make a much smaller change to the lockdown at this moment. 

It is not that big a divide either when you take out all the ifs and buts and look at what is being said.  However,  The 3 other countries of the UK do not want more extensive travel for non-essential travel reasons.

The economic aspect is a red herring the rules are not that different.  In fact as an example the company the BBC today was showing as a good example of how to keep the 2m distance at work (manufacturing digital electric motors) was based in Wales.  Also as discussed at the daily update today there are 3 categories of businesses those that are prohibited, like pubs and restaurants , those that can work but only with social distance measure and those essential businesses that need to operate, like supermarkets. This is the same across the UK although which business is in which category may be different in detail.

Edited by churchward

2 minutes ago, churchward said:

You forgot to insult Northern Ireland as well.

There are always politics at play but both Wales and Scotland signalled well before the PMs announcement what the countries wanted to do i.e. make a much smaller change to the lockdown at this moment. 

It is not that big a divide either when you take out all the ifs and buts and look at what is being said.  However,  The 3 other countries of the UK do not want more extensive travel for non-essential travel reasons.

The economic aspect is a red herring the rules are not that different.  In fact as an example the company the BBC today was showing as a good example of how to keep the 2m distance at work (manufacturing digital electric motors) was based in Wales.  Also as discussed at the daily update today there are 3 categories of businesses those that are prohibited like pubs and restaurants , those that can work but only with social distance measure and those essential businesses that need to operate like supermarkets. This is the same across the UK although which business is in which category may be different in detail.

I dont think I actually insulted anyone.

Gosh people can be so tetchy on here....

45 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Feel free to check out the 'fake' independence, take a leisure drive to Snowdonia and explain to any Heddlu who may stop you that their 'fake' laws don't apply to true Englishmen;)

• Haha 1

Just now, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Feel free to check out the 'fake' independence, take a leisure drive to Snowdonia and explain to any Heddlu who may stop you that their 'fake' laws don't apply to true Englishmen;)

Too far away.

But I think you actually know what my 'fake independence' comment refered to.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

I dont think I actually insulted anyone.

Gosh people can be so tetchy on here....

I accept your apology then.  When you make statements like  "Wales and Scotland asserting their 'fake' independence." that is a rather pejorative statement and inaccurate

Nether Scottish or Welsh (or Northern Ireland for that matter) devolution is fake they are able to not only make their own decisions but their own laws too and in particular on the matter at hand.

Just now, churchward said:

I accept your apology then.  When you make statements like  "Wales and Scotland asserting their 'fake' independence." that is a rather pejorative statement and inaccurate

Nether Scottish or Welsh (or Northern Ireland for that matter) devolution is fake they are able to not only make their own decisions but their own laws too and in particular on the matter at hand.

Just exactly where did I apologise?

I simply clarified I didnt insult the Northern Irish.

1 minute ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The ability to make their own laws sounds pretty independent to me.

Lol

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Just exactly where did I apologise?

I simply clarified I didnt insult the Northern Irish.

You said you had not insulted anyone? I assumed you were attempting to apologise but clearly not so OK so you did insult the Scottish and Welsh then.  It also rather brings me back to my point that you forgot to insult NI as they so far are doing the same as Wales and Scotland.

I see you have no response to my points about the differences, similarity and examples.

Edited by churchward
  • Haha 1

Just now, churchward said:

I assumed you were attempting to apologise but clearly not so OK so you did insult the Scottish and Welsh then.  It also rather brings me back to my point that you forgot to insult NI as they so far are doing the same as Wales and Scotland.

I see you have no response to my points about the differences, similarity and examples.

I find debating on the internet, particularly with someone who deliberately misrepresents what I have said to bolster their point is particularly fruitless.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

I find debating on the internet, particularly with someone who deliberately misrepresents what I have said to bolster their point is particularly fruitless.

Possibly so, but you were the one making inaccurate and pejorative statements not me.  But on the basis you are following the rule of when in a hole stop digging I understand your approach.

What misrepresentation? 

26 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Any thoughts on money and borders? ;)

The last time I was in England I had my Scottish money rejected.  And there is a border - open of course so far, like all the borders between the independent countries of the EU.