Bike suggestion

Featured Posts

Since the lockdown is not going away any time soon, looks like I need a more enjoyable way of staying healthy, so thinking of buying a bike. Not fancy mountain bike because it will be mostly on road or towpath but should have some capability to absorb bumps.

Budget max £500. Prefer a new one (rather than a better brand second hand) because I don't want to mess with repairing and such. It seems I am a bit late to party because a lot of other people think similar.

Any suggestion welcome. :)

My suggestion is " Dont bother " lol. Things of the devil and you will be turn into an eejut that forgets everything about road safety, road sense and the highway code!! Better go on longer walks in sensible location than putting yourself on a road on a pre victorian mode of transport.

• Greenie 4
  • Unimpressed 1
  • Angry 1

Sounds like you want a hybrid bike, this is the top of your budget

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-mtx-8.6-hybrid-bike---blue-528155.html

If you're willing and able to buy 2nd hand, I'll be out on my bike in about 15 minutes, the bike I'll be riding is very similar to this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-Giant-Rapid-Fluxx-3-Size-Medium/164175424053?hash=item26399e2a35:g:Mv4AAOSwJHhepaFZ

Kevin

• Greenie 1

Why is it these days that bikes dont come with mudguards, hence the rider getting covered in crap? Is it just a scam so they can sell them to bikelists as an " Extra? "

Beware of theft - I gave up carrying bikes around as even when I started downgrading they still always ended up getting nicked - if you make them too secure or take a wheel off they become less easy to grab on impulse and you end up not using it - get a dog and go for a good walk

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 1

Kendorr's advice seems good.

Things to consider:

You couldn't anyway buy a "fancy mountain bike" for £500.  With a few exceptions that is about the starting price, and anything less isn't a mountain bike.  About the best around, and one of the few  at sub-£500 is the Calibre Rake.

http://calibrebicycles.com/bike/rake/

However I think this is unique to Go Outdoors, and as buying bikes seems to be a thing at the moment I'm not surprised it shows as out of stock.

But as Kendorr says a hybrid is probably the best compromise though what is most suitable for roads will not be equally suitable on a rough tow-path, where a mountain bike is often a more comfortable ride.

However unless you are somewhere where the tow-paths are very quiet and no moored boats, you will find yourself fairly unpopular if you ride on them much at all.  Our local tow-paths have all been signed by CRT to discourage people using them for exercise.

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My suggestion is " Dont bother " lol. Things of the devil and you will be turn into an eejut that forgets everything about road safety, road sense and the highway code!! Better go on longer walks in sensible location than putting yourself on a road on a pre victorian mode of transport.

don't worry, am a leisure bike rider, not in a hurry to go anywhere... and I fear bikers as much as the next pedestrian .. :)

My best ever bike was Campagnola frame and had superb forks, very safe downhill even at about 50mph!

it was customised for me by a proper bike shop,  I used to do a lot of cycling. It cost £550 thirty years ago, so maybe £1500 today, a real racing cyclist would pay that for wheels!

More recently, I bought a good ladies bike for £99 second hand, a well known brand, it is the second best bike I have ever had, the  main thing is that it is a perfect fit, which is difficult for a woman. Very responsive and nimble for town, I removed mudguards and carrier to go faster. With my latest bike, I had the tubes and the tyres upgraded, so no punctures, indeed no inflation in six months. That was £55.

A crown bell [essential] and a flashing front lights, [stick on with s/amalgamating tape], and rear light complete the outfit, and a chain from Oxford Padlocks £35. Plus a small one for the front wheel.

You must keep tyres well inflated, so a track pump a good idea, else pay bike shop [£1.00]

I think cycling UK [aka CTC] provide insurance and a free gift [I got light set]

I also have a Falcon ladies, it has knobbly tyres and mudguards, and a carrier, it was a present, probably cost about £350. I use it for trailing my sack barrow [with cassette] and for very rough tracks, but to be honest, the other bike has pretty good tyres for all but the worst mud and stone.

Buying the second hand bike is the best idea if you know anything about bikes, they should feel responsive and not heavy, don't spend £500 on a mid range new bike when you need to then spend £200 on proper tyres, tubes, bell, lights, chain, insurance, and you usually can't try them out.

jo 

Edited by LadyG

On 02/05/2020 at 08:39, mrsmelly said:

Isn't that a slightly dangerous 'criticism'? What else are a bunch of elderly old farts pottering around on narrow boats other than travelling on a pre-victorian mode of transport?;)

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Isn't that a slightly dangerous 'criticism'? What else are a bunch of elderly old farts pottering around on narrow boats other than travelling on a pre-victorian mode of transport?;)

Yep, got me there..........................they av got an engine now though Mr :D

Have you considered a folding bike?

I like the look of the folding mountain bikes but they look pretty heavy, and a heavy bike with fat tyres going uphill is not that much fun unless you're pretty fit. 

I used to do a 5 mile commute on a Raleigh Boardwalk, and whilst they are not as lightweight nor as stable as bikes with larger wheels, they go pretty well. 

The big advantage with any folder is that they can be stowed away inside the boat (space permitting), or a decent car boot (so you can use them to go back and pcik up your car, if you're running one).

So with a folder you wouldn't have to worry about chaining it up, and it being stolen anyway in less salubrious areas. Many folders come with 1.5 inch tyres so are not too bad on a towpath. 

They're probably not the coolest looking things in the world, if that's a concern at all, but ones with 20 inch wheels don't look too bad. 

There are loads of reasonably light options under £500, this was just the first example I saw: 

https://www.bikefolded.com/dahon-vybe-c7a-folding-bike-review/

Just now, sueb said:

I found a bike a pain in the backside. It didn't matter where you put it, it was in the way. It didn't get used as we took the boat where we wanted to go. Left it by a BW skip.

You should have bought a more comfortable seat then Sue ?

You are however quite correct.

11 hours ago, sueb said:

I found a bike a pain in the backside. It didn't matter where you put it, it was in the way. It didn't get used as we took the boat where we wanted to go. Left it by a BW skip.

You need to design the boat around the bike.(S)

last living boat had room for 5 including tandem.

never in way and invisible.

I have a Dahon folding mountain bike, full sized wheels, really good build quality, comfortable enough ride,  stored in front catch, secured to anchor point by normal bike lock chain. Gear range works fine for short, medium trips, although I would not tackle the Yorkshire Dales on it, or anything else with out an ingine TBO.

I got it from eBay, it was second hand, around £230, very happy with it.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/adventure-bikes/voodoo-limba-mens-adventure-bike---52-54.5-57cm-frames-445554.html

Something like this should prove effortless, bulletproof and enable you to cover a fair few miles. I've sold hundreds of bikes over the years,and currently have a collection of 8 on my 32ft boat. 

My one piece of advice is if you actually want to get somewhere for goodness sake avoid suspension frames,they're awful, and on towpaths suspension forks can do more harm than good to the inexperienced rider. I've seen a few inexperienced riders bounced off! 

I personally love 1960s and 1970s small wheelers like your gran would ride, but I can't recommend them for everybody

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/adventure-bikes/voodoo-limba-mens-adventure-bike---52-54.5-57cm-frames-445554.html

Something like this should prove effortless, bulletproof and enable you to cover a fair few miles. I've sold hundreds of bikes over the years,and currently have a collection of 8 on my 32ft boat. 

My one piece of advice is if you actually want to get somewhere for goodness sake avoid suspension frames,they're awful, and on towpaths suspension forks can do more harm than good to the inexperienced rider. I've seen a few inexperienced riders bounced off! 

I personally love 1960s and 1970s small wheelers like your gran would ride, but I can't recommend them for everybody

thanks.. never knew this category of bike exists... I am more of a leasure biker, so I prefer flat bar... will keep the suspension thing in mind... and avoid them.

currently I have  decathlon riverside 900  and voodoo marasa & broadman 8.6 in my short list... 

I'd also recommend a hybrid bike.  Mine has mudguards and a pannier rack but there's enough tread on the tyres for towpaths and I can cycle along the canal to work without getting any mud on me.  It's the perfect all rounder.  I bought mine second hand for £100 (it would have been £300 new) so a fairly cheap bike anyway.  The previous owner had used it precisely once, about three years earlier and then put it in the garage.  Their OH then sold it to me without them knowing!!!  They probably still haven't noticed it's gone! 

My bike is made by Dawes, but those Decathlon bikes look excellent for the money and that's what I'd get if I were buying new.

• Greenie 1

I used to be able to do wheelies at one time!

I already had a bike and I bought the boss one for Christmas about five years ago. We kept them on the roof, locked down. We used them twice possibly three times and left them in a waste compound 18 months ago. Next day they were gone.

And yes, indeed, they were a pain in the posterior in more ways than one.

• Greenie 1