Thinking positive...when are you hoping to go out on your boat again?

Philip

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Trying to realistic and logical on this.

I think end of May is optimistic to allow all non essential travel, and visits to second homes which is what is needed for the use of leisure boats.  On the second homes one we have seen that Wales have strengthened their rules on that, so if the UK follows suit that may stop leisure boat use for a very long time.  

I think by end of May the important non essential travel to let people see family and friends in small gatherings will need to be allowed.  I can also see some relaxation by the end of May to get more businesses open, like more shops.  For pubs, restaurants, theatres, cinemas etc, probably a lot longer and not this year.

If the long term ban on second home use is limited to Wales, then there could be some hope for boating in England, for the sake of argument lets say in July.

As the govenment has said they will always be lead by the science, then you would think that would be gated on the take up of the app, so you need the time through June to see how that goes.  I can see the mantra being changed to “download the app, protect the NHS, save lives”.  Hopefully people will take that seriously and the, I think, 12%, with old phones that do not support Bluetooth LE will be upgrading.  As long as they get the OS changes needed to make bluetooth LE work in the background (which was the flaw with the South Korea app) then use of the app should be painless and if it follows the proposed spec there are few privacy concerns.  The app, along with testing which hopefully there will be there with soon, should be the key.

Of course it will probably pan out totally differently, either way.

"A week is a long time in politics" - 5 weeks is a lifetime now - anybodys guess

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Trying to realistic and logical on this.

I think end of May is optimistic to allow all non essential travel, and visits to second homes which is what is needed for the use of leisure boats.  On the second homes one we have seen that Wales have strengthened their rules on that, so if the UK follows suit that may stop leisure boat use for a very long time.  

I think by end of May the important non essential travel to let people see family and friends in small gatherings will need to be allowed.  I can also see some relaxation by the end of May to get more businesses open, like more shops.  For pubs, restaurants, theatres, cinemas etc, probably a lot longer and not this year.

If the long term ban on second home use is limited to Wales, then there could be some hope for boating in England, for the sake of argument lets say in July.

As the govenment has said they will always be lead by the science, then you would think that would be gated on the take up of the app, so you need the time through June to see how that goes.  I can see the mantra being changed to “download the app, protect the NHS, save lives”.  Hopefully people will take that seriously and the, I think, 12%, with old phones that do not support Bluetooth LE will be upgrading.  As long as they get the OS changes needed to make bluetooth LE work in the background (which was the flaw with the South Korea app) then use of the app should be painless and if it follows the proposed spec there are few privacy concerns.  The app, along with testing which hopefully there will be there with soon, should be the key.

Of course it will probably pan out totally differently, either way.

I broadly agree with what you are saying but I think the key in how it opens up will be looking at what is happening in Italy, Spain and as reported in the press yesterday Czechoslovakia. They are a few weeks ahead of us. Those countries talk about shops, businesses, schools etc but not much discussion of non essential travel which is the key for us being able to go boating. It will be interesting to see how they 'do' the non essential travel. 

Without a vaccine and all this herd immunity stuff (and only a small % of peeps been infected), I don't see an easy solution to relaxing the non essential travel with the 'don't come near our village with your virus' response from small isolated villages. The gov will relax the rules which means peeps will travel to go surfing, canoeing etc so risk infecting these isolated communities. This will apply to villages along the canal network. It will be interesting to hear how these other countries will handle this.

We are longing for the day we will be allowed to go boating again and unless it is winter we will have a surfeit of fire ingredients ? We were last on board in February (in the storms)  and planned to go back down when the towpaths had dried up a bit.  We made plans! We had two bags of coal delivered to the boat, Iain sawed up several bags of logs from wood which had been drying out for the last year  or so , we stocked up on kindling and kiln dried logs (before Iain got the saw out) and I had made  a big shopping list of what we would need to feed us on board for a few weeks. 

Then the lock down came.

This years plans had been for a trip up the LLangollen (last time we tried the canal burst its banks at Wrenbury and we had to turn back)  then a long trip to Liverpool and the length of the Leeds and Liverpool returning either the same way or  via the Trent. 

Doesn't look like that will be possible now but just to be boating, anywhere, would be wonderful!

Stay safe, folks!

haggis

48 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I broadly agree with what you are saying but I think the key in how it opens up will be looking at what is happening in Italy, Spain and as reported in the press yesterday Czechoslovakia. They are a few weeks ahead of us. Those countries talk about shops, businesses, schools etc but not much discussion of non essential travel which is the key for us being able to go boating. It will be interesting to see how they 'do' the non essential travel. 

Without a vaccine and all this herd immunity stuff (and only a small % of peeps been infected), I don't see an easy solution to relaxing the non essential travel with the 'don't come near our village with your virus' response from small isolated villages. The gov will relax the rules which means peeps will travel to go surfing, canoeing etc so risk infecting these isolated communities. This will apply to villages along the canal network. It will be interesting to hear how these other countries will handle this.

Most of the things that those countries are now relaxing are things that we never did anyway.  I also think they are a very different type of society to ours, which is more consent based, so you have to keep people on side rather than force them with troops and armed police on the streets.  So I think here the government who have played this very well by being able to keep people on side will start to give some small things and let technology play a part rather than force.

46 minutes ago, haggis said:

We are longing for the day we will be allowed to go boating again and unless it is winter we will have a surfeit of fire ingredients ? We were last on board in February (in the storms)  and planned to go back down when the towpaths had dried up a bit.  We made plans! We had two bags of coal delivered to the boat, Iain sawed up several bags of logs from wood which had been drying out for the last year  or so , we stocked up on kindling and kiln dried logs (before Iain got the saw out) and I had made  a big shopping list of what we would need to feed us on board for a few weeks. 

Then the lock down came.

This years plans had been for a trip up the LLangollen (last time we tried the canal burst its banks at Wrenbury and we had to turn back)  then a long trip to Liverpool and the length of the Leeds and Liverpool returning either the same way or  via the Trent. 

Doesn't look like that will be possible now but just to be boating, anywhere, would be wonderful!

Stay safe, folks!

haggis

Yes, totally agree, I am furloughed until the end of June, it would be lovely to untie and go out until then.

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

Wot like - like civilised, law-abiding with a sense of community and sacrifice above self!

There are indeed aspects of Spain and Italy which are civilised - but note that in both countries, armed police routinely patrol the streets, whereas over here they don't need to, which must be a measure of how law-abiding we are.

18 hours ago, Philip said:

Surprised to see comments that the numbers are stagnant; it might be slow progress but both the positive test numbers/percentage and numbers of people dying each day are clearly significantly lower than 2-3 weeks ago. 

Not advocating easing things just yet, but if we follow the trajectory of Spain, Italy, Germany and France, and there's no reason why we shouldn't as the vast majority of people are still adhering to the restrictions and don't even want the lockdown lifted yet, then things should look much better in another month - possibly less.

image.png.05086ad351923f59a4f5741a6179d122.png

It's difficult to know for sure because the data collection and counting methods have shifted but if you compare the curve above with other European countries who are looking at relaxing restrictions, they are showing much more meaningful and sustained drops than us.  The seven day average line has only been dropping for a week.  I'd want to see that continue for at least 3 weeks to ensure it's real and not just a blip.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

There are indeed aspects of Spain and Italy which are civilised - but note that in both countries, armed police routinely patrol the streets, whereas over here they don't need to, which must be a measure of how law-abiding we are.

That was a bit my point, but I was not really saying that Spain/Italy are not law abiding but they accept/need much higher state enforcement than here.  Or at least we hope that is the case.  I for one don’t want to see soldiers/police with assault rifles roaming the streets to enforce the lockdown.  For the sake for being “civilised” I will accept that a few knob heads will break the rules and get away with it, with the resulting higher R value.

We will be undoing the lines this weekend and chugging out. Not far, diesel, pumpout and the associated winding holes.

There have been lots of boats on the move over the last few days, a couple of known boat movers, local liveaboards movingvfor water and services, and quite a few leisure boats out on jollies.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, john6767 said:

That was a bit my point, but I was not really saying that Spain/Italy are not law abiding but they accept/need much higher state enforcement than here.  Or at least we hope that is the case.  I for one don’t want to see soldiers/police with assault rifles roaming the streets to enforce the lockdown.  For the sake for being “civilised” I will accept that a few knob heads will break the rules and get away with it, with the resulting higher R value.

And in India they chop their hands off ............... - not really my point I don't want guns on the streets but the large numbers of 30 something/entitled "knob heads" are not worthy of our civilisation and certainly not part of any community I want to be part of.

Also ..............(rain makes me moan) - am I the only one who hadn't noticed that second home owners who let out their properties are getting £10000 of my (tax payers) money to cover their lost income!

Is this really what the business support fund or whatever its called is for..........

Just now, Halsey said:

Also ..............(rain makes me moan) - am I the only one who hadn't noticed that second home owners who let out their properties are getting £10000 of my (tax payers) money to cover their lost income!

Is this really what the business support fund or whatever its called is for..........

Isn't that if they are a registered (with companies house) company with a Commercial Buildings 'rates exemption' ?

A tiny few movements seen on the Stourbridge and Staffs and Worcester canals near my home base at the weekend. More than the past few weeks but still very little traffic.

We are hoping to go out on our shared boat Isis who we moved to our new base at Aston marina just before the lockdown on the 15th June for a couple of weeks. It seems to me very likely that might be the new season start date or there about. Drinking in pub gardens only by then? Its quite possible to think that might be acceptable I would say and I very hope that this restriction on our Liberty is lifted soon.

18 minutes ago, liberal_baggie said:

A tiny few movements seen on the Stourbridge and Staffs and Worcester canals near my home base at the weekend. More than the past few weeks but still very little traffic.

We are hoping to go out on our shared boat Isis who we moved to our new base at Aston marina just before the lockdown on the 15th June for a couple of weeks. It seems to me very likely that might be the new season start date or there about. Drinking in pub gardens only by then? Its quite possible to think that might be acceptable I would say and I very hope that this restriction on our Liberty is lifted soon.

Welcome to the forum, Mr.Baggie.

I certainly hope you're right about the resumption of canal boating in June; but unless the numbers of new infections with Corona have fallen to virtually zero by then, we'll be bringing our drinks with us and drinking them on the boat.

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

However, if they rent it out and the tenant cannot pay then they get nothing.

9 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

However, if they rent it out and the tenant cannot pay then they get nothing.

Maybe we are not talking about the same grant.

Small business grant fund

This grant will provide eligible businesses with a lump sum grant of £10,000

Who can apply

You should have been in receipt of Small Business Rate Relief Scheme on 11 March 2020.

It is not dependent on any tenants etc, it is simply automatically granted (and is tax free) to any business that gets the rate Relief Scheme.

Screenshot (157).png

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

image.png.05086ad351923f59a4f5741a6179d122.png

It's difficult to know for sure because the data collection and counting methods have shifted but if you compare the curve above with other European countries who are looking at relaxing restrictions, they are showing much more meaningful and sustained drops than us.  The seven day average line has only been dropping for a week.  I'd want to see that continue for at least 3 weeks to ensure it's real and not just a blip.

I think you need to be very careful trying to compare our daily confirmed cases with other countries. We went into overdrive on testing around the begining of April (2nd or 3rd) and went from 7,500 tests to 12,500 so you would expect cases to increase by a similar number. They have since increased to over 20,000. The other key information is that the 'cases' graph shows a peak around the 10th of April (3 day rolling average -not 7 day which pushes the peak back) which is the same as the deaths graph. The cases graph should be 10 days ahead of the deaths but in our case, we were only testing when peeps ended up in hospital and even then likely as peeps were dying. The deaths graph and the hospital admissions both show we reached the peak around the 10th April so we have had nearly 3 weeks of a slow decay - ignoring care homes. This is very similar to both Italy and Spain. I think you need to ignore the new cases data until we stabilise our number of tests.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe we are not talking about the same grant.

Small business grant fund

This grant will provide eligible businesses with a lump sum grant of £10,000

Who can apply

You should have been in receipt of Small Business Rate Relief Scheme on 11 March 2020.

It is not dependent on any tenants etc, it is simply automatically granted (and is tax free) to any business that gets the rate Relief Scheme.

Screenshot (157).png

It is the tenant that gets the Rate Relief . . .