Can I realistically do a live aboard with 25k?

Pablo Blanco

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Never heard of them being taken out of the water purely to be 'dried out'.

If you have a look on some other than canal forums you will see it is quite common.

Quote from Practical Boat owner Magazine

Essentially, the shiny outer layer of your glassfibre boat known as the gel coat isn’t entirely waterproof. Over the years small amounts of water find their way through its ever-so-slightly porous surface and react with uncured chemicals in the glassfibre mat beneath. The reactions create by-products which, usually over a period of several years, create enough pressure to force up the blisters.

That’s when the surveyor sucks in through his teeth, and the value of your boat falls by the equivalent amount of a full repair. As both the materials and labour are expensive, you’re always talking a four-figure sum.

Lift it out each Winter and it gives it a chance to dry out before the next season -avoids getting the hull too wet.

Of course this doesn't apply to GRP boats on canals.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

38 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

I guess I'm missing something obvious... but why wouldn't it? Something to do with the salinity?

No, it was a bit tongue-in-cheap & it follows on from a similar discussion in a different thread where a number of canal boaters said it wasn't necessary, which is at odds with a majority of boaters.

It was suggested that folks with a £3,000 boat are not going to spend £300+ lifting it out and back in again.

Most GRP boats on the canals are at the lower end of the market and would appear to be not to be very well maintained (there will always be exceptions)

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Over the years.......... small amounts of water find their way through its ever-so-slightly porous surface and react with uncured chemicals in the glassfibre mat beneath.

I agree with - 'over the years'......

Doesn't state that EVERY year it has to be lifted.

I believe it's more of a problem with older boats. Didn't they have a problem in the 70's when the oil crisis was on. Think they were using a different type of resin and some boat manufacturers moved production to places like Taiwan. Some of those are known to blister. Can all be sorted out, just a time consuming (=expensive) job.

1 minute ago, NewCanalBoy said:

I agree with - 'over the years'......

Doesn't state that EVERY year it has to be lifted.

I believe it's more of a problem with older boats. Didn't they have a problem in the 70's when the oil crisis was on. Think they were using a different type of resin and some boat manufacturers moved production to places like Taiwan. Some of those are known to blister. Can all be sorted out, just a time consuming (=expensive) job.

In my experience of marinas with a high number of GRP, at least 75% are lifted annually.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In my experience of marinas with a high number of GRP, at least 75% are lifted annually.

That might be because they are safer on land, than unattended on pontoons.

I had my boat hull below waterline sand blasted and three coats of epoxy applied, it was as dry as a Bonio.

image.jpeg.2a93e5500dd3fe8cef8a27e713d35ab8.jpeg

Edited by LadyG

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

That might be because they are safer on land, than unattended on pontoons.

I had my boat hull below waterline sand blasted and three coats of epoxy applied, it was as dry as a Bonio.

image.jpeg.2a93e5500dd3fe8cef8a27e713d35ab8.jpeg

No point in applying epoxy  if it wet

I would say that most boats in marinas come out of the water in winter because -

A)They aren't going to be used.

B)Owners don't want them getting smashed about in rough weather.

C)Might be cheaper to store on land than in the marina (even after including crane fees).

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In my experience of inland marinas with a high number of grp 95% are not lifted annually 75% are never lifted , one of my neighbours had owned his Freeman for 25+ years and it had never been out of the water, it was used every weekend rain or shine you don't need to worry about it at the cheaper end of the market , just get out and enjoy it.

2 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Nothing wotsover to do with Taiwan. Down to the resins and gel coats used in the UK at the time and the manufacturing practices.

1 hour ago, jocave said:

In my experience of inland marinas with a high number of grp 95% are not lifted annually 75% are never lifted , one of my neighbours had owned his Freeman for 25+ years and it had never been out of the water, it was used every weekend rain or shine you don't need to worry about it at the cheaper end of the market , just get out and enjoy it.

Thankyou, you have confirmed exactly what I said a few pages ago.

The majority of GRP boaters lift their boats out, the tiny minority that are on the inland waterways don't.

22 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

No point in applying epoxy  if it wet

agreed.

Sail Life on youtube bought a Warrior with very wet hull, full details on his early videos [it involved two years of heat/vacuum and lots more], but of course it needs to be on the hard all summer.

My GRP boat was built in 1970 by Robertson of Sandbank, so not a cheap production boat, just sayin' not all mid 1970's boats were poorly constructed, but I'd swerve any boat with inherent constructional issues.

Edited by LadyG

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2020 at 16:16, Pablo Blanco said:

Hi all, 

I am a 57 yr old guy recently divorced.

I won’t bore you with my tales of woe suffice to say I am left with 25k in the bank and a pension as all the legal people involved agreed that my now ex deserved a life of easy living and luxury! 
   So here I am thinking about what to do with my meagre fortune and what to do with my immediate/long term future.

One option is to spend it on fast cars and women but alas 25k is not enough for either .. .......so........ I say to myself how about wasting it on a lifelong dream of mine......a liveaboard canal boat! 
   I’ve been thinking about this for a little while now and have spent countless hours doing the research (mainly on this site) but the truth is although I know a lot more about all things  canal boat related after those reading hours I still know next to nothing in comparison to what I should sensibly know before taking on such a big step............but then what sensible person would even consider living on a boat I say to myself? 
Soooooo, my question to you non sensible but knowledgeable personas is what can I realistically get and do with my 25k?

I am a multi skilled tradesman by profession which means I am a qualified electrician and plumber (not currently gas safe registered) I can weld to a decent standard, a competent steel fabricator, confident with all engines and consider myself a half decent joiner........point being I am happy to do all the work needed to refurb|rebuild a boat should that make financial sense. 
  I am in full time employment and earn an above average wage (apparently) which means I am able to pay for and would need a permanent mooring within 20 miles of my work place which is fixed in Haydock near St Helens, I would need/want to live aboard as soon as possible after purchase.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Just seen what looks like a really nice old but "good survey?" Norton Canes on the duck - £29k - apologia if you have already bought just saw your first post haven't read the 5 pages!

On 15/04/2020 at 16:16, Pablo Blanco said:

Hi all, 

I am a 57 yr old guy recently divorced.

I won’t bore you with my tales of woe suffice to say I am left with 25k in the bank and a pension as all the legal people involved agreed that my now ex deserved a life of easy living and luxury! 
   So here I am thinking about what to do with my meagre fortune and what to do with my immediate/long term future.

One option is to spend it on fast cars and women but alas 25k is not enough for either .. .......so........ I say to myself how about wasting it on a lifelong dream of mine......a liveaboard canal boat! 
   I’ve been thinking about this for a little while now and have spent countless hours doing the research (mainly on this site) but the truth is although I know a lot more about all things  canal boat related after those reading hours I still know next to nothing in comparison to what I should sensibly know before taking on such a big step............but then what sensible person would even consider living on a boat I say to myself? 
Soooooo, my question to you non sensible but knowledgeable personas is what can I realistically get and do with my 25k?

I am a multi skilled tradesman by profession which means I am a qualified electrician and plumber (not currently gas safe registered) I can weld to a decent standard, a competent steel fabricator, confident with all engines and consider myself a half decent joiner........point being I am happy to do all the work needed to refurb|rebuild a boat should that make financial sense. 
  I am in full time employment and earn an above average wage (apparently) which means I am able to pay for and would need a permanent mooring within 20 miles of my work place which is fixed in Haydock near St Helens, I would need/want to live aboard as soon as possible after purchase.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Just seen what looks like a really nice old but "good survey?" Norton Canes on the duck - £29k - apologia if you have already bought just saw your first post haven't read the 5 pages!

On 18/04/2020 at 18:25, Alan de Enfield said:

Lift it out each Winter and it gives it a chance to dry out before the next season -avoids getting the hull too wet.

Of course this doesn't apply to GRP boats on canals.

On 18/04/2020 at 19:33, Alan de Enfield said:

Most GRP boats on the canals are at the lower end of the market and would appear to be not to be very well maintained (there will always be exceptions)

An interesting exception are some of the classic Freeman cruisers up at Bridge House Marina on the Lancaster - they not only pay to lift out, the really posh ones go in a heated shed over winter!

3 hours ago, Halsey said:

This one?

https://m.apolloduck.com/boat/norton-canes-60-traditional/619639

Slightly dated interior (knotty pine t&g lining) but at a quick glance looks like a lot of boat for the money.

• Love 1

On 18/04/2020 at 15:52, Alan de Enfield said:

If you want something cheap (£6k), unconventional, needs a bit of DIY and a potential business opportunity (licensed for passengers) here you go :

https://www.findafishingboat.com/41-foot-watson-class-lifeboat-1938/ad-107406

Great boats. The ill fated Solomon Browne was a Watson iirc.