Lockdown ? What Lockdown?

Momac

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You cant see the steerer as sat behind the standing bloke. I think it moors in Braunston.

20200423_172536.jpg

We have noticed a big increase in boats on the move today. 9 boats so far have passed us. 

For the last 3 or so weeks we have only had 1-2 boats per day moving past us.

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You cant see the steerer as sat behind the standing bloke. I think it moors in Braunston.

If it's  a family group who normally live together whats the problem?

I assume they are travelling  for water or other good reason .

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

However, right now in our area they do have a severe shortage of deliveries. First available was the evening of Sunday 3rd May when I checked this morning. Same deal with click + collect. I gave up and did a trip to our local Co-op who had most of what I wanted except flour. 

The towns name needs changing to ''Noneaton'' :)

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

A long way to travel for water and they have carried on past High House too....

5 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Clearly Leisure Boaters who feel the rules dont apply to them

Why "clearly"? It isn't clear to me who they are, or what classification they might fall into.

Just now, matty40s said:

A long way to travel for water and they have carried on past High House too....

There are other legitimate reasons for moving. Nobody knows - unless they asked the boaters themselves. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Nahh, it’d upset the Nuns who used to be based hereabouts...

No, I'm afraid it wouldn't:

Early history

Nuneaton was originally an Anglo-Saxon settlement known as 'Etone' or 'Eaton', which translates literally as 'settlement by water'. 'Etone' was listed in the Domesday Book as a small hamlet. The settlement gained its current name of Nuneaton in the mid-12th-century when a Benedictine nunnery known as Nuneaton Priory (parts of which still exist) was established. A market was established in 1226, which is still held, and Nuneaton developed into a thriving market town. The nunnery was destroyed in 1539 during King Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries.

(Wikipedia)

Edited by Machpoint005

40 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Anyone else quietly optimistic that boating (with just members of your household) will be included in the outdoor activities that look to be amongst the first things that might be permitted when lockdown is eased? Other countries in the EU have permitted travel to second homes as part of lockdown easements.

Is boating specifically forbidden at present? I realise that Cart/EA have "closed" their systems however there is no actual mention of boating.

From RYA

The Government has advised that marinas should be closed in line with caravan parks, although marina operators are not specifically required to do so under the Regulations. We have increasingly seen harbour authorities and navigation authorities introduce measures and guidance in respect of recreational boating. Please monitor the website of the organisation that manages the facilities where your boat is kept.

Whatever your activity there is the additional concern that if something goes wrong, however unlikely that may seem, there is the potential that you will put further and avoidable pressure on the emergency services. These are exceptional times and the RYA calls on all recreational boaters, not only to comply with the Regulations, but to act responsibly and adhere to the Government’s Regulations to help limit the spread of the virus.

If significant numbers of people are seen to be taking part in recreational boating or going to their boats for whatever excuse they can think of while the general movement restrictions are in force then the Government might see fit to introduce a specific prohibition on recreational boating. Given that regulators are often much more reluctant to lift prohibitions than they are to impose them, recreational boating is likely to be able to resume more quickly if it is not specifically prohibited.

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news/Pages/coronavirus-advice-and-information-for-recreational-boaters.aspx

11 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Judging by the size of the stern Martyn that Boat will be lucky to be 45ft , a tight squeeze for four adults living aboard and as Matty says already beyond the nearest Water Point .

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

The addition of 'for example' would have been concise, and made things clear for everyone. It's clear that there has been confusion over this in the population. The fact that some on here thought canoeing/ kayaking was prohibited by law is a fine example of this. 

Yes, I agree, just as the addition of "only" would have made things clear in the opposite sense.  But I would not go as far as to say that the one "only" was implied.

If I wrote "Great blues artists: Hooker, Hopkins, Waters" I would be understood to be giving examples, not to be stating that these were the only ones who achieved greatness.

11 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Given that regulators are often much more reluctant to lift prohibitions than they are to impose them, recreational boating is likely to be able to resume more quickly if it is not specifically prohibited.

I received this email from 'my' marina this morning :

In order to follow the continuing directives laid out by the Government and the British Marine Federation we will be extending the restrictions at Port Penrhyn up to May 8th  which will include the following:-

We have banned all general public access to the Port.

There is access for boat owners, both afloat and ashore, but we ask you to take into consideration the Government's directives relating to essential journeys and their request for people to stay at home. (Access Gate Code is the same)

We can now offer Lift and Launches for those who want, under strict social distancing arrangements to be followed to the letter. However, for those wishing to launch we again ask you to consider the following :-

The restrictions to essential travel as outlined by the Government

The RNLI, RYA & Coastguard guidance not to undertake any non-essential leisure boating activity

Also, please note the following berthing locations in North Wales  are currently closed or operating under restrictive practices:-

Holyhead Sailing Club

Port Dinorwic Marina

Victoria Dock Caernarfon

Conwy Marina and more

In order to protect our people and help limit the deadly spread of the COVID-19 virus and following the Governments 3 week extension of the lockdown last week,  we ask you all to follow the guidance issued. The health and welfare of our customers, work colleagues are fundamental factors in all our decision-making and your protection remains our highest priority.

14 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

The settlement gained its current name of Nuneaton in the mid-12th-century when a Benedictine nunnery known as Nuneaton Priory (parts of which still exist) was established.

Sure it would.  They're still upset about old Henry Tudor but to bastardise their name to boot would just be too much...

40 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Early history

Nuneaton was originally an Anglo-Saxon settlement known as 'Etone' or 'Eaton', which translates literally as 'settlement by water'. 'Etone' was listed in the Domesday Book as a small hamlet. The settlement gained its current name of Nuneaton in the mid-12th-century when a Benedictine nunnery known as Nuneaton Priory (parts of which still exist) was established. A market was established in 1226, which is still held, and Nuneaton developed into a thriving market town. The nunnery was destroyed in 1539 during King Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries.

(Wikipedia)

While moored in Springwood Haven Marina, took the dog for a walk through the wood at the back of the marina. Found one of those 'nature signs' which gave info about the area. Who knew that millions of years ago Nuneaton was the 'North Pole'!

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jennifer McM said:

Who new that millions of years ago Nuneaton was the 'North Pole'!

Or that Boudicca’s final battle was fought about a mile from Springwood Haven. 

That battle did pre-date the marina though...

44 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, I agree, just as the addition of "only" would have made things clear in the opposite sense.  But I would not go as far as to say that the one "only" was implied.

If I wrote "Great blues artists: Hooker, Hopkins, Waters" I would be understood to be giving examples, not to be stating that these were the only ones who achieved greatness.

Imagine the government announced a partial easing of the lockdown and CRT responded as follows: "Boating is now allowed on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays". Is boating allowed on the other days of the week, or not? 

15 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Imagine the government announced a partial easing of the lockdown and CRT responded as follows: "Boating is now allowed on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays". Is boating allowed on the other days of the week, or not? 

Presumably you have got some of your subtle evidence that that is even remotely likely to be CRT's response?

• Haha 1

We have been for a walk from home this evening and past the marina where our boat is located (but we have not walked  in the marina).

We noticed one couple aboard who we know for fact don't live aboard and have travelled some distance to be there .  At least one other who is not a live aboard.

10 minutes ago, MartynG said:

We have been for a walk from home this evening and past the marina where our boat is located (but we have not walked  in the marina).

We noticed one couple aboard who we know for fact don't live aboard and have travelled some distance to be there .  At least one other who is not a live aboard.

Just there to fill up with water Martyn...

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Publicly shaming people on social media without being aware of all the facts is a pretty despicable activity.

Nor sure who you aimed to trillytrolly with this one, but I cropped the photo to take the boat name out.

The facts are...

Using your boat

With Government today (16 April 2020) extending the Coronavirus lockdown period to 9 May 2020, the Canal & River Trust is accordingly extending the suspension of the normal requirement for boats to move every 14 days to 9 May.  During this period, boaters do not need to contact us to tell us they will be staying in one location for more than 14 days.

Boaters who are not currently occupying their boat must not visit or take short trips or breaks on their boat at this time.  Those living aboard are strongly advised to limit their navigation, moving only a minimal amount to access essential facilities or services when necessary – or to move along to a quieter mooring if they are finding the towpath too busy for them where they are.

We ask everyone to be considerate and make sure that vital boater facilities and services are accessible to all those that need them. 

We will be doing whatever we can to support our customers and protect the waterways so we can return to enjoying them fully when the crisis is over – including continuing to maintain essential boater facilities, with pump out cards available from our online shop, and waste collection etc.

We will keep the situation under active review and update you in line with changing circumstances and Government guidance.

To be clear, if you are not currently occupying your boat the government guidance is that you must not visit it (this means no short trips or breaks on your boat at this time).

If you are currently living on your boat, you should only move it in the following, essential, circumstances:

• to access water or waste facilities
  • to access essential food and supplies
  • to access urgent medical treatment
  • for emergency mechanical service for your boat
  • for emergency vet treatment for your pet
  • to move to a quieter towpath nearby where it is too busy where you are

For clarity, your boat should not be used for any leisure cruising.