Fishing off the back of my boat?

The Welsh Cruiser

Featured Posts

I noticed a CRT notice close to where I'm moored, related to the corona virus which included 'no fishing'.

I like to do a couple of hours fishing off my cruiser deck from time to time. I've more time on my hands now, like many others. The boat is cleaner than its ever been, I have a good walk each day, or a kayak. There's some other jobs to do on the boat but I can't get the materials at the moment. I'd like to do a bit of fishing to pass the time.

I'm pretty certain that if someone was say, cleaning the outside of their boat, or doing a bit of painting, cleaning the outside of the windows etc. etc. nobody would bat an eyelid. But if I set up my gear on my cruiser deck some bright spark might come along, refer me to the sign then infer that I'm being irresponsible, risking lives etc. I don't want to waste energy by explaining that this is part of my home, people are allowed to do whatever they like in their gardens etc. etc. I don't want any conflict but equally, there's no risk in doing it. Common sense and all that.

What do you think?

If you're planning to eat it that's fine. If not why on earth would you do that. Why kill or put living creatures through dreadful trauma for your pleasure.

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 1

I believe the fish have to be returned anyway, but they would likely be contaminated. 

I can never see the point in fishing except for the pot, it's my country upbringing. To me it is not a sport, esp using bait catapults and hooks with barbs. On behalf of the fish, don't do it. On behalf of 'the rules' don't do it. The fish will probably be contaminated with pcb s, pesticides,  and heavy metals, the water could give you a life threatening disease like Weil's.

The lockdown discourages leisure activities, people will not be sympathetic.

On balance that's a no, of course you could phone CRT helpline ............. ?

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Its a difficult one. On one hand we're asked to follow common sense but on the other, the rules. Sometimes they clash.

To be fair, I suspect the no fishing means they don't want anglers sitting on the towpath surrounded with all their gear every 30 yards, which you could point out to any objectors you are not doing. But you'd still get the hassle of having to point it out.

How about watching some youtube videos of fishing? You could even do it on the back deck!

8 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I noticed a CRT notice close to where I'm moored, related to the corona virus which included 'no fishing'.

I like to do a couple of hours fishing off my cruiser deck from time to time. I've more time on my hands now, like many others. The boat is cleaner than its ever been, I have a good walk each day, or a kayak. There's some other jobs to do on the boat but I can't get the materials at the moment. I'd like to do a bit of fishing to pass the time.

I'm pretty certain that if someone was say, cleaning the outside of their boat, or doing a bit of painting, cleaning the outside of the windows etc. etc. nobody would bat an eyelid. But if I set up my gear on my cruiser deck some bright spark might come along, refer me to the sign then infer that I'm being irresponsible, risking lives etc. I don't want to waste energy by explaining that this is part of my home, people are allowed to do whatever they like in their gardens etc. etc. I don't want any conflict but equally, there's no risk in doing it. Common sense and all that.

What do you think?

Good question and I understand the conflict but IMHO - FISH (and I'm not a fisherman) so long as its off the back of your boat and you observe all the "rules" after all the only people who will see you are those who shouldn't be there anyway - other boaters will understand.

Clearly the sign is aimed at land based fishermen ………….

No different to me working in my garden

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

after all the only people who will see you are those who shouldn't be there anyway -

A good point, anyone objecting shouldn't actually be there, to object in the first place!

Just now, David Mack said:

Or some youtube videos of paint drying?

Or clubbing seals?

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

To be fair, I suspect the no fishing means they don't want anglers sitting on the towpath surrounded with all their gear every 30 yards, which you could point out to any objectors you are not doing. But you'd still get the hassle of having to point it out.

How about watching some youtube videos of fishing? You could even do it on the back deck!

To be fair watching videos of fishing is dull in the extreme, even to someone who's fished all his life. Actually doing it is absorbing, perhaps the perfect thing during times like this. Only to people who 'get' it though, I understand most don't.

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Or clubbing seals?

Under current regulations, seals are no longer allowed to go clubbing, at least not in groups (shoals?) of three or more.

From the lockdown point of view. Are you ok sitting on the sterndeck? If the answer to that is yes then I don't see the difference. "No fishing" is about people driving to the canal, walking along the towpath and setting up camp in a public place. Suppose a police officer shows up and tells you to stop, you lift the hook out of the water and nothing else changes. Pointless.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Equally, we are 'discouraged' from driving somewhere to exercise. How many of the towpath fishermen walk there from home?

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Carting the sheer amount of gear they have these days from the car to the fishing pitch must be!

My favourite form of fishing is very lightweight, rod and small bag containing bait, spare floats etc and fold up landing net, I have walked miles along the river bank so that's a bit of exercise I suppose. 

As the the original question, I see no problem with it, it's likely to be others moaning that's the issue, if you can put up with that, fill yer boots

Edited by tree monkey
  • Happy 1