Fishing off the back of my boat?

The Welsh Cruiser

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

The sign says they should avoid walking past moored boats. To avoid walking past moored boats they should walk elsewhere. Only boaters should be walking past moored boats.

Where does it say boaters can walk passed moored boats, 

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Yes. Interestingly, trolling is banned on the canal. I don't think the thinking was to ban people fishing for predators by dragging a lure behind a moving boat, rather, it was to stop people dragging the canal for spilt coal close to the loading stations.  

Ie that not trawling, rather than trolling?

4 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

The sign says they should avoid walking past moored boats. To avoid walking past moored boats they should walk elsewhere. Only boaters should be walking past moored boats.

... and then only past their own boat, although that, strictly speaking, would be banned as well. Once on the towpath, a boater is no different from any other walker/cyclist :D

3 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Ie that not trawling, rather than trolling?

... and then only past their own boat, although that, strictly speaking, would be banned as well. Once on the towpath, a boater is no different from any other walker/cyclist :D

No trolling is an angling term. 

3 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Another black and white fella who puts the letter of the law (or restrictions that aren't law) above the spirit and intention of laws or byelaws.

Rules is rules innit. 

Can you give an alternative interpretation of NO FISHING without recourse to special pleading?

No, you cannot. 

QED

8 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Can you give an alternative interpretation of NO FISHING without recourse to special pleading?

No, you cannot. 

QED

You really are a slave to rules aren't you. Strange, I would have thought that someone who speaks Latin might have been a little more broadminded. Or perhaps I'm mistaken in this, a narrow mind is just as likely in the educated as it is in the illiterate.

My alternative: The rule is to prevent crowds driving to the canal, parking up, walking down the towpath and setting up for the day. This would likely compromise the government's social distancing objectives. It also flouts the law that people can only be away from their properties for a small number of reasons. Fishing doesn't qualify as exercise.  I, living on my boat, can fish off it without any danger of flouting social distancing protocol and given that I'm on my property 'at home', I can do whatever I like that's within the law of the land. A 'no fishing' notice erected by CRT does not constitute the law of the land.  

1 minute ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

A 'no fishing' notice erected by CRT does not constitute the law of the land.

It does revoke your permission to fish on their waters, assuming you have bothered to get a Waterway Wanderer permit.

If you are on a fishing club's managed stretch it revokes that permission instead, so either way you are fishing unlicenced.  As well as being an arse.

• Greenie 2

17 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

A 'no fishing' notice erected by CRT does not constitute the law of the land.  

That may be so.

May I ask what the terms of a rod license say about obeying national and local rules?