Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Perhaps you could post some pictures of your boating today?

I’m not out on the boat today, but if anyone is out today and have some nice photo’s please post them today.
  Unlike yourself that puts your holiday snaps on from a few years ago👍 

13 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I’m not out on the boat today, but if anyone is out today and have some nice photo’s please post them today.
  Unlike yourself that puts your holiday snaps on from a few years ago👍 

So you have nothing to offer to the topic?

35 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

IMG_5702.thumb.jpeg.844ab9638ecc0454f48218b6e9afbb45.jpeg

That's more fun than squabbling. I wish I was flexible enough to eat my nuts. The Pilates is helping. 

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

So you have nothing to offer to the topic?

I don’t just put on photos for the sake of it unlike what seams to have happened to the thread. If I had a nice photo of Today’s Boating that I thought was good enough for other’s to appreciate I’d put it on, unlike you and the main poster with past holiday snaps.

Or you can put your “Today’s or Tomorrow’s” boating pictures on?

Oh forgot that’s all in the past now😂

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

2 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

What I say is start a Thread in the Heritage History section “What was nice on the Waterways then” and leave this on to today😂

Almost the same as I was about to suggest (without comment on the merits or otherwise of the thread) - I was intending to invite the Mods to consider creating a new section (like Stoppages) which is more suggestive of the evolved intent of the thread and more consistent with its durability - everything else on General has lifetimes approaching that of a Mayfly - and properly so. The other sections are more about matters that are inherently enduring - and folk do seem to have a lasting desire to take and share good pictures.

35 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Almost the same as I was about to suggest (without comment on the merits or otherwise of the thread) - I was intending to invite the Mods to consider creating a new section (like Stoppages) which is more suggestive of the evolved intent of the thread and more consistent with its durability - everything else on General has lifetimes approaching that of a Mayfly - and properly so. The other sections are more about matters that are inherently enduring - and folk do seem to have a lasting desire to take and share good pictures.

Yes a photo section, as this thread has just turned into one mans personal crusade trying to be the longest thread ever and ever, “This time next year” with photos of today a year late. 
 Maybe a good photo section, with the best ones voted for a Forum Calendar, a bit like the Country File yearly Calendar?🤷

48 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Yes a photo section, as this thread has just turned into one mans personal crusade trying to be the longest thread ever and ever, “This time next year” with photos of today a year late. 
 Maybe a good photo section, with the best ones voted for a Forum Calendar, a bit like the Country File yearly Calendar?🤷

Actually it would be a fantastic resource that could be looked back on when things change, Just think if there were photos of say Birmingham there from just 20 years ago and in another 5 years it will look different again.

• Greenie 2

38 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

As Ditchcrawler says these can be an historic resource. There’s nowt stopping you starting a thread, something similar happened on the where I am thread when it started turning international, I simply started an international thread,

I quite admire Peter’s stamina for keeping on posting, and I think his pictures are perhaps an important record for the future

voting for stuff we’ll end up with the twee sentimental sickening photos like ‘Boats at dawn, with frost on the cabin tops and whisps of smoke from chimneys’ or ‘View over the Marina at Sunset’ or ‘Relfections in a Bridge Hole’ or….’Squirell Eating His Nuts’.

But hey if that’s what folks want let ‘em have it, on another thread, 🤷‍♀️

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

As Ditchcrawler says these can be an historic resource. There’s nowt stopping you starting a thread, something similar happened on the where I am thread when it started turning international, I simply started an international thread,

I quite admire Peter’s stamina for keeping on posting, and I think his pictures are perhaps an important record for the future

voting for stuff we’ll end up with the twee sentimental sickening photos like ‘Boats at dawn, with frost on the cabin tops and whisps of smoke from chimneys’ or ‘View over the Marina at Sunset’ or ‘Relfections in a Bridge Hole’ or….’Squirell Eating His Nuts’.

I think it needs a section for waterway photographs, not a thread, they get lost when they are not constantly in use.

2 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

IMG_5702.thumb.jpeg.844ab9638ecc0454f48218b6e9afbb45.jpeg

I've just had to put some nuts and seeds out for our squirrel, the poor little beggar was looking for the ones she'd previously buried not knowing the jackdaws had been watching and snaffled the lot, i also had to stamp down the holes in the lawn she'd left in her fruitless search. I'd take a pic but she's refused to sign a waiver.

• Happy 1

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think it needs a section for waterway photographs, not a thread, they get lost when they are not constantly in use.

Ok, see what you’re saying,

or do I? None of the photos on here have disappeared?

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

4 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Let’s just have a photo section and not one person’s ego, 

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Actually it would be a fantastic resource that could be looked back on when things change, Just think if there were photos of say Birmingham there from just 20 years ago and in another 5 years it will look different again.

Do it, as this Thread has become Holiday snaps especially from               

@Naughty CalWho has never really done a canal but has spent her time wizzing around the Trent & Coastal.

7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Perhaps you could post some pictures of your boating today?

Please put on your canal photos, that’s’ the slow moving ones less than 4mph, not speeding ones on the Fossdyke as you were known for on a Friday Evening 👍😂

It ain’t broke as far as I can see, so it doesn’t need fixing. 

Incidentally almost all of the first page of the thread revolved around a picture of a catamaran in Croatia taken a few years before the thread started and the OP replied to this positively . It was started a few days before lockdown so it’s no surprise it ended up with past years canal pictures and has carried on. 

Theres one thing for sure, BoatinglifeupNorth isn’t supplying much of a tonic on this thread. 

• Greenie 4

I confess that the rate of Peter's posts in this thread does put me off posting here. They are often quite interesting, but the sheer volume tends to smother anyone else's submissions. (That may be the first [and last?] time I've agreed with @BoatinglifeupNorth!)

A couple from last weekend's WRG do:

IMG_20240317_125828_PANO.jpg

IMG-20240316-WA0012c.jpg

Edited by Francis Herne
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Francis Herne said:

I confess that I do find the rate of Peter's posts in this thread a bit offputting. They are often quite interesting, but the sheer volume tends to smother anyone else's submissions. (That may be the first [and last?] time I've agreed with @BoatinglifeupNorth on here!)

A couple from last weekend's WRG do:

IMG_20240317_125828_PANO.jpg

IMG-20240316-WA0012c.jpg

I like the second one

12 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

@Naughty CalWho has never really done a canal but has spent her time wizzing around the Trent & Coastal.

Please put on your canal photos, that’s’ the slow moving ones less than 4mph, not speeding ones on the Fossdyke as you were known for on a Friday Evening 👍😂

10957014_927693003950008_2457120233810223166_n.jpg.a8de48aae18955dfe3950f1091c15138.jpg

12 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

No never did any canals :rolleyes:

38081_112475975471719_754671_n.jpg.5b70067f6b9eef750c5465fede7a90ad.jpg

41169_118709944848322_3934793_n.jpg.4bb8686b6cf6d08154c4db1909154bad.jpg

1.jpg.b8e3120725141b344ba5faa196556a53.jpg

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 3

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

That's what I was suggesting, really. It might also help to have a subdivision into historical and current - but then we'd all argue about when does current become historical  . . .  (but life is always better when there is something whose outcome is unimportant about which to argue!)

11 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

That's what I was suggesting, really. It might also help to have a subdivision into historical and current - but then we'd all argue about when does current become historical  . . .  (but life is always better when there is something whose outcome is unimportant about which to argue!)

It rather depends on how well people labelled any photos they uploaded. location and historic i.e taken some years before the posted date, then the search function would  easily find them.

Edited by ditchcrawler

On 21/03/2024 at 12:22, Hudds Lad said:

Well, i like it. Only been boating for nine years so it's nice to see how places i've been looked before i saw them for the first time.

Thread drift is an inevitable fact of forums, unless moderated with an iron fist, and surely no-one wants that?

Completely agree. I've been boating for 51 years, and had shares in boats from around the same time as @PeterScott. Hence many of his photos resonate with me as I recognise the locations and the boats.

I will echo.what others have said, if some people don't like liking at the photos taken by @PeterScott then why look at this thread?

• Greenie 1

"...not old photos of 10 years ago"  Oh dear, I'll try harder with the 50+ years ago photos then.

On this day in 1971

spacer.png

Curdworth locks B+F. Jumping off before lockladders

spacer.png

earlier in the day at Tolson's Footbridge B+F - Steve climbed from the front of the boat on to the bridge, then over the bridge and returned to the boat further back. Which all goes to prove that fewer people wear jackets to go canalling these days ...

Edited by PeterScott
spilling
  • Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

On this day in 2023

spacer.png

spacer.pngHigh Green Bridge No 14

Brewood SU

spacer.png

On Monday 18Mar2024

Farmers Bridge B+F

Some wise words, for once,  from C&RT