Traditional vs Reversed Layout

longstreath

Featured Posts

You 

17 minutes ago, bizzard said:

But Mike, do you or do you not have smelly feet ?  Do you swap the outdoor shoes for carpet slippers at the door? There's nothing worse than folk with stinking feet walking about in their stocking feet on carpets and spreading the pong throughout the ship. One gets used to ones own stinks and it can be oblivious to them,  but strangers and visitors certainly can.  I was a mobile car mechanic for many years and when I was usually, after mending the car invited in the housefor tea and things, and in some houses, Yukkkk!!!! the stink of feet was terrible and nauseous although it was obvious that the home owner was very house proud and everything was spotless. Much worse in the winter when the  stink was locked in with windows closed and heating on As soon as the front door was opened the pungeant pong burst out and would knock me back and I would  politely refuse the tea,  get money and buzz off. 

You seem to be becoming obsessed with smelly feet lately. Perhaps there's a new tenant on April Island who has become a frequent visitor who suffers from this afflication? Our days of enjoying Waitrose bargains and putting the world to rights most evenings are long gone so I think it's probably not me.

We had a reverse layout cruiser stern  widebeam which was very convenient, now have a standard layout narowboat which is also perfect and Sue now often stays in the saloon whilst cruising, we almost always use the rear door, so I'd agree with the majority of contributors that widebeam reverse layout and narrow standard layout seems to work. 

36 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It’s also worth visiting a boat brokers who have a lot of stock to wander about looking at. Although Whilton Marina are generally near the bottom in the quality stakes, they have a lot of boats and will give you a bunch of keys to go browse on your own. It might help to give you an idea of the sort of layout you would like.

Good point Nick, will take that one with me.

1 hour ago, grahame r said:

You 

You seem to be becoming obsessed with smelly feet lately. Perhaps there's a new tenant on April Island who has become a frequent visitor who suffers from this afflication? Our days of enjoying Waitrose bargains and putting the world to rights most evenings are long gone so I think it's probably not me.

We had a reverse layout cruiser stern  widebeam which was very convenient, now have a standard layout narowboat which is also perfect and Sue now often stays in the saloon whilst cruising, we almost always use the rear door, so I'd agree with the majority of contributors that widebeam reverse layout and narrow standard layout seems to work. 

Ahoy Grahame. Hope you and Sue are well.  No it wasn't you, I noticed you wore Broques.  I once visited the Blue Mosque in Istanbul where of course everyone has to remove their shoes before entering and leave them on a rack outside. The pong inside was awful, it arose up in a sort of shimmering haze.   A good guide for identifying folk with smelly feet, well the embarrassed ones anyway who are aware of their affliction usually tend go about in waders, welly boots or the posher Chelsea boots, these keep the pong locked in, a spin off from Victorian times and long before that when folk hardly washed, sprinkled thereselves with arromatic scents, perfumes, note the word ''fume'' in perfume, and Chelsea boots were very very popular and still are today really, for two reasons,  to lock in the pong, they also have elasticated sides, ideal for lazy smelly folk that cou;dn't be bothered with laces.  Sherlock Holmes wore them, probably on Dr Watsons advice as their rooms at Baker St were carpeted.

Yes the Waitrose cake were scrumptious, discussing things  I reckon reverse layouts seem to work better on wide beam boats.   Take care.  

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

But Mike, do you or do you not have smelly feet ?  Do you swap the outdoor shoes for carpet slippers at the door? There's nothing worse than folk with stinking feet walking about in their stocking feet on carpets and spreading the pong throughout the ship. One gets used to ones own stinks and it can be oblivious to them,  but strangers and visitors certainly can.  I was a mobile car mechanic for many years and when I was usually, after mending the car invited in the house for tea and things, and in some houses, Yukkkk!!!! the stink of feet was terrible and nauseous although it was obvious that the home owner was very house proud and everything was spotless. Much worse in the winter when the  stink was locked in with windows closed and heating on As soon as the front door was opened the pungeant pong burst out and would knock me back and I would  politely refuse the tea,  get my money and buzz off. 

My feet don't smell because I take my shoes off onboard and they get to breathe and yes I do wear indoor slippers in winter. It's only happened to me once that someone came onboard, took off their shoes and their feet stunk, but he probably had bad breath too and there's not much I can do about someone else's lack of personal hygiene except not invite them back.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

My feet don't smell because I take my shoes off onboard and they get to breathe and yes I do wear indoor slippers in winter. It's only happened to me once that someone came onboard, took off their shoes and their feet stunk, but he probably had bad breath too and there's not much I can do about someone else's lack of personal hygiene except not invite them back.

I prefer it that no one who comes in my boat takes their shoes off, just in case. I yell out Keep em on!!!!  Please keep em on!!!!

I lived in a small mess deck with someone who suffered, as we all did, from smelly feet. He showered as often as the rest of us, used foo foo and other feet odour additives, but alas, his feet chucked up. There are sometimes medical reason people have odours about their person. Sometimes through lack of personal hygiene.

• Greenie 1

There is a third way, Well deck, Galley, Saloon, Bathroom, Bedroom, Study/Workroom ,Engline room, Rear deck. The layout being designed with two people in mind. Fitted with portholes throughout with a side hatch half way along in the saloon. One asvantage of having the saloon towards the centre of the cabin is that you get more even spread of heat from the stove throughout the boat.

The galley is walk through with the dinette on one side. The front vent is ducted to go through the fridge space at the back, before venting out under the table in the dinette. As for cupboard doors apart from the one under the sink. The doors will be fixed to pull out drawers (When B&Q get round to delivering my order), which gives access from either side.  With the galley at the front, You don't get water everywhere if pouring with rain when you get in, for it is easyly mopped up.

The bathroom has a full size (700x700) enclosed shower. Using a counter top sink does allow a larger sink in the same space then a inset one. For the toilet fantics, it's pumpout

The bed space is designed on the lines of a traditional scandinavian box bed, Which gives extra storage space plus it is also warm and cosy. 

As for the study/workshop, this is a small space which also has a full height electrics panel for both the 12 volt and 240volt systems plus the inverter/ charger and the water pumps under the rear steps. In the space is a small desk area with a PC Base unit under with the printer/scanner as well. With the montior on a swing arm, The desk area is  42"x18" which is just enough space to work in.  

15 hours ago, longstreath said:

pros and cons of a traditional versus a reversed layout?

Go for a 70 ft boat, and you can have both!  We have re-styled ours so as well as the dinette/galley fore, we also have a snug aft.  In regards to boarding we tend to come onto the boat at the bow, for the reasons others have mentioned, but have matched locks on both doors, so we can doe as we please! 

57 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I prefer it that no one who comes in my boat takes their shoes off, just in case. I yell out Keep em on!!!!  Please keep em on!!!!

In that case you will have to accept that occasionally some of those indoor shoe wearers will bring dog shit into your boat. Personally I'd rather have the occasional smelly feet as it's slightly less offensive to me, but I guess that's just down to personal distaste! ?

51 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I lived in a small mess deck with someone who suffered, as we all did, from smelly feet. He showered as often as the rest of us, used foo foo and other feet odour additives, but alas, his feet chucked up. There are sometimes medical reason people have odours about their person. Sometimes through lack of personal hygiene.

Yep very true. 3m mess on a Leander had about ninety of us living in. I reckon a 70 foot narrowboat would have about 30 bunks in?

5 hours ago, bizzard said:

But Mike, do you or do you not have smelly feet ?  Do you swap the outdoor shoes for carpet slippers at the door? There's nothing worse than folk with stinking feet walking about in their stocking feet on carpets and spreading the pong throughout the ship. One gets used to ones own stinks and it can be oblivious to them,  but strangers and visitors certainly can.  I was a mobile car mechanic for many years and when I was usually, after mending the car invited in the house for tea and things, and in some houses, Yukkkk!!!! the stink of feet was terrible and nauseous although it was obvious that the home owner was very house proud and everything was spotless. Much worse in the winter when the  stink was locked in with windows closed and heating on As soon as the front door was opened the pungeant pong burst out and would knock me back and I would  politely refuse the tea,  get my money and buzz off. 

what do you think of people with dogs. Most houses with dogs I have been to smell bad, may be because I dont have a dog and not used to the doggie smell.

5 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

what do you think of people with dogs. Most houses with dogs I have been to smell bad, may be because I dont have a dog and not used to the doggie smell.

Most dogs smell, some more than others. My sister has a long haired Alsation ( she calls it a German shepherd but they were always Alsations when I was a kid ) and it absolutely stinks especialy when wet. We have a lab who smells but very little. I suppose each to their own in their own living space, we have rellies that smoke and entering their house is horrific!! and even going within six feet of them they reak!

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Most dogs smell, some more than others. My sister has a long haired Alsation ( she calls it a German shepherd but they were always Alsations when I was a kid ) and it absolutely stinks especialy when wet. We have a lab who smells but very little. I suppose each to their own in their own living space, we have rellies that smoke and entering their house is horrific!! and even going within six feet of them they reak!

do guard dogs like staffie or english bull terrier smell? they seem to have much thinner coat.

If I become ccer, I will definitely get a proper dog, dont want my boat to be sunk or burnt down by random people, no matter the probability of that might be.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

do guard dogs like staffie or english bull terrier smell? they seem to have much thinner coat.

If I become ccer, I will definitely get a proper dog, dont want my boat to be sunk or burnt down by random people, no matter the probability of that might be.

Maffi of this parish has a staffie and she absolutely pongs bless her lol. Good move though for you to get a proper dog, vermin dont risk entering a boat with teeth in it when there are others without they can break into. Our lab is the smallest dog we have owned at only 33 kilos but she still does a great job protecting her home.

2 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Not knitted, Natural merino sheep fleece. Not bothered with looks, rather have warm feet.

Do they have any soles to stop slipping on such as lino flooring?

19 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

My definition of a proper dog is one that you dont have to bend down to pat. ?

I currently have a GSD (Alsation was a name given to them after WW1, to prevent small minded people killing because of their German association). Providing he is regularly brushed and bathed he doesn't smell except when wet, as do all dogs have that distinctive "damp dog" smell when wet.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

My definition of a proper dog is one that you dont have to bend down to pat. ?

I currently have a GSD (Alsation was a name given to them after WW1, to prevent small minded people killing because of their German association). Providing he is regularly brushed and bathed he doesn't smell except when wet, as do all dogs have that distinctive "damp dog" smell when wet.

That makes sense. Our labs a bit small as they are but not far off that. Our Bernese was proper sized and our Airedale was a big chap with humungous teeth :o

• Greenie 1