Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Loddon

Marmite XO

Featured Posts

Although not strictly a recipe (you can use it as a pasta sauce)

For the lovers of fine foods Marmite XO is back but only at Tescos.

It was a limited release 10 years ago, 

Did I say it was back?

 

I bought half my local Tescos shelf stock!

 

I am a happy man!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I am a happy man!

Marmite is such an institution that it always saddens me that I don't really like it. Anywhy the XO bit confused/intrigued  me so I had to look it up, turns out it stands for extra old...... so it should fit in right well here. :giggles:

 

 

iu.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Marmite is such an institution that it always saddens me that I don't really like it. Anywhy the XO bit confused/intrigued  me so I had to look it up, turns out it stands for extra old...... so it should fit in right well here. :giggles:

 

 

iu.jpeg

 

Oi! You.....

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If people were forced to eat it the perpetrators would be taken to court for assault, attempted murder or somett. Feeding it to a pet dog should quite rightly incur a charge of cruelty to animals.

  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

If people were forced to eat it the perpetrators would be taken to court for assault, attempted murder or somett. Feeding it to a pet dog should quite rightly incur a charge of cruelty to animals.

Not keen on it then, Tim? ?

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

He doesn't like the archers either, the man's a fool 

:)

I would rather drink Lager than eat mamite and listen to the spice girls before The Archers. ?

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I would rather drink Lager than eat mamite and listen to the spice girls before The Archers. ?

But Marmite is British so must be good, lager is foreign muck ;)

 

 

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Can't stand Marmite but I love Twiglets...?

Love the initial kick of twiglets,  dislike the final mouthful of dry sticky stuff..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Loddon said:

But Marmite is British so must be good, lager is foreign muck ;)

 

 

They do brew Lager in the UK ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Although not strictly a recipe (you can use it as a pasta sauce)

For the lovers of fine foods Marmite XO is back but only at Tescos.

It was a limited release 10 years ago, 

Did I say it was back?

 

I bought half my local Tescos shelf stock!

 

I am a happy man!

 

I went to our big Tesco the other day to try and find some Vegemite for my other half. Assuming it would be next to the Marmite, I searched high and low for the distinctive yellow jar, but couldn’t find it. There definitely wasn’t any XO either.

 

Apparently Sainsbury’s stopped selling Vegemite some years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Although not strictly a recipe (you can use it as a pasta sauce)

For the lovers of fine foods Marmite XO is back but only at Tescos.

It was a limited release 10 years ago, 

Did I say it was back?

 

I bought half my local Tescos shelf stock!

 

I am a happy man!

 

I already knew this - there was a two page spread in the local paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I already knew this - there was a two page spread in the local paper.

Takes quite a lot of Marmite to spread over two pages; did it make the paper more palatable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They do brew Lager in the UK ?

Still foreign, didn't originate here.

17 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

There definitely wasn’t any XO either

It was only released today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Marmite XO today is not a patch on the Marmite XO of ten years ago... 

Well, it's older for a start. :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Marmite XO today is not a patch on the Marmite XO of ten years ago... 

Have you still got some of the old stuff

Last pot I had was BBF 2014 or thereabouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They do brew Lager in the UK ?

 

Yes but  it tastes nothing like the proper lager you get in Germany. ?

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Marmite XO today is not a patch on the Marmite XO of ten years ago... 

 

You can use Marmite to patch stuff?

 

Perhaps I'll try using it to touch up my blacking. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I would rather drink Lager than eat mamite ...

But, but.... normal Marmite is based on lager (+ bitter & ale) extracts.

Marmite XO just uses bitter & ale.  ?

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cheese said:

But, but.... normal Marmite is based on lager (+ bitter & ale) extracts.

Marmite XO just uses bitter & ale.  ?

 

Very true, it was invented as a way to get rid of excess brewers yeast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cuthound said:

 

Yes but  it tastes nothing like the proper lager you get in Germany. ?

 

You can use Marmite to patch stuff?

 

Perhaps I'll try using it to touch up my blacking. ?

I once saw a transistor radio 'repaired' with  Marmite. It was dabbed on an overheating component as a heatsink. It lasted about 30 minutes then had to be re-applied. A bit messy :mellow: We were in the middle of the English Channel on a balmy day wanting to listen to live reports of the first crossing by a man powered aircraft. Gossimer Albatross. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cheese said:

But, but.... normal Marmite is based on lager (+ bitter & ale) extracts.

Marmite XO just uses bitter & ale.  ?

Must be why I prefer XO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.