What paint is this?

RichM

Featured Posts

I need to repaint my roof next Spring. Quite often I see boats painted with what looks like red oxide (to the untrained eye) but given red oxide is porous, I would be surprised if it is indeed red oxide. Does anyone know what it may be? I have attached a photo of a boat (Covington) sporting the type of paint I am looking for. i once asked someone who said it's "Redblack" but I can't seem to find anything about it online.

IMG_0891.jpg

Cheers

RichM

47 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Raddle red - craftmaster? 

In the mating season a male sheep (Tup / Ram) has a harness strapped to his chest, in the harness is a 'holder' that retains a block of "raddle", when he 'does the job' as he slides off, the raddle leaves a smear of colour so the owner knows when the ewe will be due to lamb. The coloured blocks of raddle are changed weekly so that the relevant ewes can be brought in for lambing at the correct time.

Do you really want to drive a boat covered in red raddle (and the implications thereof) ?

Edit to add a bit more supporting info :

https://www.cotswoldfarmpark.co.uk/blog/tupping-time/

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Do you really want to drive a boat covered in red raddle (and the implications thereof) ?

Not me. Our boat is a hideous turquoise and blue colour. The same colour as mrs Rusty's handbag when we visited the paint mixing shop! 

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Raddle red - craftmaster

Thanks Rusty. 

Would it be suitable to sand down, coat  (x2) with red oxide primer and then finish with Raddle Red? 

Also, any idea why this paint seems to be quite popular? Not sure if it's perhaps tradition for certain types of boats or if there's another reason for it. Some people seem to use it on their roofs even when it doesn't match or contrast well with the rest of the boat so I'm wondering if there's perhaps a reason behind it. 

Cheers

1 minute ago, RichM said:

Also, any idea why this paint seems to be quite popular? Not sure if it's perhaps tradition for certain types of boats or if there's another reason for it. Some people seem to use it on their roofs even when it doesn't match the rest of the boat so I'm wondering if there's perhaps a reason behind it. 

They are all sheep - seen it on one boat so they follow.

• Haha 2

That's raddle red.

Rub down treat rust - prime and them undercoat with Craftmaster high build red undercoat and overcoat with Craftmaster Raddle Red topcoat.

http://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/products

Do it all undercover and between April and Oct - keep eye on dewpoint and paint early in summer (finish by 9am if a "polytunnel" type cover).

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

This is fresh on - it calms down when under the sun to a satin finish. Don't skimp on paint - it's hard work to prep/canals are harsh environm. so pay for paints with a good track record.

I put on two coats of high build red undercoat lightly rubbing down between coats before a top coat or two of raddle.

Buy good brushes!

20170408_090754_resized.jpg

Edited by mark99

That’s very shiny for a raddle, (based on my understanding of a raddle- which is probably wrong :) ). I painted my roof with Craftmaster Raddle Grey, and it’s very much a Matt finish

ETA: just noticed it’s fresh on, and calms down to satin when dry - my grey is definitely a Matt finish, without the she en of a satin finish.

Edited by Richard10002

Old red oxide was a commonly used finish on working boats for areas that received hard use and were non decorative, such as the hold, decks and cabin top. Later years have seen those owning traditionally styled boats wanting the same colours but with a longer lasting finish. Craftmaster Raddle Red was formulated as a matt colour with the waterproofing qualities of gloss to meet those needs....I’ve spread plenty of it on cabin tops over the years. Good stuff, and reasonably non slip without a sand additive

• Greenie 1

Re is it raddle or undercoat on image above- I think that it is raddle - photo above it fits in with topcoat date - this certainly is - see below taken after. As said, it dulls down to satin and then a flattens under the sun. My rear roof weathered now looks nothing like the "shiney"images above/below.

20170408_124746_resized.jpg

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

We have raddle red from Symphony paints on the rear of the roof and bow and stern decks. 

I'll upload a picture when I have a better connection.

IMG_20180907_185044004.jpg.b6e75cc6d882f212217474e3b400dc31.jpg

The old working boats I go out on have raddle red roofs.

Edited by Rob-M
  • Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, mark99 said:

This is fresh on - it calms down when under the sun to a satin finish. Don't skimp on paint - it's hard work to prep/canals are harsh environm. so pay for paints with a good track record.

I put on two coats of high build red undercoat lightly rubbing down between coats before a top coat or two of raddle

It has never really occurred to me to put an undercoat under red raddle.

It is more or less the same colour as red oxide primers we are using, so we do a couple of coats of primer on to bare steel, then switch straight unto as many coats of raddle as we think we need.

What is the benefit of an undercoat versus no having one - perhaps we are missing a trick?

• Greenie 1

its hard to tell from a photo on a PC screen, but I don't think that's Craftmaster raddle,   Craftmaster raddle has just a hint of pink/salmon to it. It might be Rylards raddle red but there are also a couple of companies making "red oxide top coat"

Anyway, that looks like a Northwich Trader you have there (very nice boats) and these are often done in Red Oxide (though I have seen a green oxide one) so I suggest you contact the bloke who builds them, rather conveniently he' put his name on the side of your boat.

................Dave

image.png

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

Anyway, that looks like a Northwich Trader you have there

Fighting words - I don't think it is!

Something rather nicer than that, I think!

EDIT: To clarify I'm assuming you are talking about mark99's boat - there was a picture of a random Northwich Trader earlier in the thread, of course.

Edited by alan_fincher

Red oxide gloss, or there's the matter or satin versions if you don't want it to be shiny like gloss. A quick Internet search brings back several links to agricultural suppliers.

I've used International Danboline on Ariel in the past, the right colour and very hard wearing, it's survived really well on the back deck and gunnels which I walk backwards and forwards on whilst carrying out deliveries in work boots.

Edited by Liam

33 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It has never really occurred to me to put an undercoat under red raddle.

It is more or less the same colour as red oxide primers we are using, so we do a couple of coats of primer on to bare steel, then switch straight unto as many coats of raddle as we think we need.

What is the benefit of an undercoat versus no having one - perhaps we are missing a trick?

Hi Alan,

They recommend a specfic undercoat for Raddle Red (IIRC it's deep red, high build).

http://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/about/hints-tips/

Just checked - it's "deep red" not dark red undercoat.

Edited by mark99

12 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Fighting words - I don't think it is!

Something rather nicer than that, I think!

EDIT: To clarify I'm assuming you are talking about mark99's boat - there was a picture of a random Northwich Trader earlier in the thread, of course.

The dangers of speed reading a thread ?

But I still think Mr Davies might be worth contacting.

...............Dave

I like the satin finishes, it's also slightly more non slip than other things.

Raddlee satin red with a bit of bounty red on the back end and raddle satin fleet gray on the front end...sadly only one coat due to the time constraints.

20180929_214006.jpg

Edited by matty40s

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In the mating season a male sheep (Tup / Ram) has a harness strapped to his chest, in the harness is a 'holder' that retains a block of "raddle", when he 'does the job' as he slides off, the raddle leaves a smear of colour so the owner knows when the ewe will be due to lamb. The coloured blocks of raddle are changed weekly so that the relevant ewes can be brought in for lambing at the correct time.

Edit to add a bit more supporting info :

https://www.cotswoldfarmpark.co.uk/blog/tupping-time/

Reminds me of fly tying......... there is a fly design called a "tups indespensible" - uses wool from a tups knackers.

I find Craftmaster Raffle Red to be a bit too brown. I have used https://www.birdbrand.co.uk/product/red-oxide-gloss-paint/ which to my mind is a better colour.

Johnstones used to make a red oxide gloss, but it doesn't  seem to be available any more.

And any of the paint manufacturers that tint to order should be able to make up a gloss or satin finish to your requirements.

Edited by David Mack