Living on Narrowboats in London

Buzyizzy

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, Robbo said:

That's just by count of posts and all of them have been on the forum for more of a decade so not doesn't show if the forum is male dominated currently.    The female listed makes more posts per year than any of other 24 listed even tho she's only 7th top poster overall.

Really, what should happen is that no man should be allowed to register unless another man dies or another woman joins to maintain parity. We don't want to be sexist. Perhaps when enough women have been forcibly conscripted into male dominated roles to achieve numerical equality in society we may be allowed to force women onto this forum so as to allow some more men.

We are the product of hundreds of thousands of years of evolution and we can't shake that off overnight.  I'm a bloke and I am predisposed to attack anything that moves and kill it and take it home to my family to eat.  My wife is predisposed to ignore anything that isn't important ie anything that is not to do with the kids.  I suggest this makes it more likely that I post on this forum than she does, albeit by a small margin.  Thus we get a majority (surfeit?) of males on here, some of whose behaviour is quite feral.  Do we need to actively change this?  I don't think this forum is that important.

? (= random smiley just because I haven't used it before.)

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Its coz they're idle bu--ers and do very little else, Everything must must be crumbling around them,  and can't have much of a life at all.  Its quite obvious that they must even be doing the forum whilst sitting on the lav.. :)

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The occasional female on here sending us helpful blokes on here the prickly PMs accusing us of misogyny don't do themselves any favours either, in my opinion. 

I also await incoming!

I'm rellishing the thought of recieving one. :(

16 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Talking of newbies.  A chap called Newby, Eric Newby is a very good and funny auther. Amongst others ''A walk in the Hindu Kush and Love and war in the Appenines'' are well worth reading.

I read one of his books once. Very good it was. 

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

Really, what should happen is that no man should be allowed to register unless another man dies or another woman joins to maintain parity. We don't want to be sexist. Perhaps when enough women have been forcibly conscripted into male dominated roles to achieve numerical equality in society we may be allowed to force women onto this forum so as to allow some more men.

Mrs Bob said she wanted to join the forum but i told her she couldnt?

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The occasional female on here sending us helpful blokes on here the prickly PMs accusing us of misogyny don't do themselves any favours either, in my opinion. 

I also await incoming!

I must try harder as I am yet to receive a prickly pm...........

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Its coz they're idle bu--ers and do very little else, Everything must must be crumbling around them,  and can't have much of a life at all.  Its quite obvious that they must even be doing the forum whilst sitting on the lav.. :)

I was going to ask if you were referring to men or women and my logic as to how it could apply, but a jokey comment can come across as serious and offensive so decided it was too dangerous and could result in some very ‘prickly’ pms.

i shall go back into my shell and keep quiet.

12 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

We are the product of hundreds of thousands of years of evolution and we can't shake that off overnight.  I'm a bloke and I am predisposed to attack anything that moves and kill it and take it home to my family to eat.  My wife is predisposed to ignore anything that isn't important ie anything that is not to do with the kids.  I suggest this makes it more likely that I post on this forum than she does, albeit by a small margin.  Thus we get a majority (surfeit?) of males on here, some of whose behaviour is quite feral.  Do we need to actively change this?  I don't think this forum is that important.

? (= random smiley just because I haven't used it before.)

That really is the biggest load of tripe I've read in a very long time. Keep telling yourself this though, if it makes you feel more manly whilst walking round Tesco's meat isle ?

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I must try harder as I am yet to receive a prickly pm...........

Probably because you haven't posted anything misogynistic.

7 hours ago, Iain_S said:

How do you know she hasn't?

I assume Dr Bob was joking.  Otherwise it seems his wife has to ask his permission to use a web forum????

6 hours ago, eid said:

That really is the biggest load of tripe I've read in a very long time. Keep telling yourself this though, if it makes you feel more manly whilst walking round Tesco's meat isle ?

Agreed.  Absolute nonsense.

If you're a bit sad like me, you will find yourself trawling through old threads on here from 5 years ago or more. Back then there were clearly lots more female posters on here.  Numbers have obviously dwindled.  I wonder why.  I'm on a few other forums where the gender mix is far more equal so it just isn't true that web forums tend to be male dominated. 

I joined a few months ago and have found myself coming on less and less.  The 'culture' of this forum is one reason why.

19 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I also await incoming!

I assume this was directed at me?  If you go and re-read the message I sent you, you'll see that I didn't accuse you of misogyny - I said that others were misogynistic.  I'm more than happy to post the message on this thread. 

One of the problems is that most newbie questions have been asked 100s of times previously. Instead of replying , 'oh, for goodness sake do a search,' long established forumites reply with increasingly witty / imaginative answers.

This would come across sexist if it was only the female of the species that was a target, but they are not. Men too have been 'got at'.

• Greenie 3

9 hours ago, eid said:

Silly me.  Obviously males and females are exactly identical regardless of their reproductive function and have no innate differences due solely to their gender apart from the physical aspects.  I should have checked, it probably says as much in the Bible. 

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Probably because you haven't posted anything misogynistic.

I assume Dr Bob was joking.  Otherwise it seems his wife has to ask his permission to use a web forum????

Welcome to the world of infantile humour, common to (but not exclusively) middle aged males.