Living on Narrowboats in London

Buzyizzy

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Silly me.  Obviously males and females are exactly identical regardless of their reproductive function and have no innate differences due solely to their gender apart from the physical aspects.  I should have checked, it probably says as much in the Bible. 

I didn't say, infer, nor do I believe, any of that so do enjoy debating with your strawman.

17 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I thought this forum was about a strange and unusual subject buying a boat to live on in London. The op has gone so time to close the thread?

It's still strange and unusual, but no one is obliged to post in it if they don't approve of it.

Lizzy last visited on Sunday, perhaps she only looks at the internet at weekends.

34 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I thought this forum was about a strange and unusual subject buying a boat to live on in london. The op has gone so time to close the thread?

You cant close the thread! What happens in 10 years time when some one uncovers this thread and wants to post that you cant have a boat on the canals in London 'cause they are all frozen over 'cause global warming climate change has melted the north/south poles and the water melt has stopped the North Atlantic oscillation and we are in the grips of the next ice age?

edit...... We are all doomed.

Edited by Dr Bob

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

My Beeb weather channel tells me that it will reach 70. I have it set to Fahrenheit, a good traditional British word, what.

Well as English as a Dutch, German, Polish person can be.

Edited by Robbo

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, exactly. Not one of those foreign names like Celsius (why did they stop calling it "Centigrade", a much more sensible name?)

Although we did make it popular when we ruled the world,  but we also I believe made metric system popular as well.    If you want a British invented system the we can use Kelvin.

31 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Although we did make it popular when we ruled the world,  but we also I believe made metric system popular as well.    If you want a British invented system the we can use Kelvin.

I love them but they'd be too big for our engine room.

14 minutes ago, Robbo said:

BTW, theres no degree for Kelvin., it’s just K.

Oh, that's a bummer. I've only just worked out how to get a ° on my mac so looking for every opportunity to use it. Whata mistaka to maka.

Just now, Athy said:

I love them but they'd be too big for our engine room.

What? Poplar trees?

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Oh, that's a bummer. I've only just worked out how to get a ° on my mac so looking for every opportunity to use it. Whata mistaka to maka.

Rightly or wrongly, I'd allow you that particular error Dr Bob because it helps clarify that you were talking temperature and not cost or distance.  Purists would argue, I know, but this is only a canal forum after all.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Rightly or wrongly, I'd allow you that particular error Dr Bob because it helps clarify that you were talking temperature and not cost or distance.  Purists would argue, I know, but this is only a canal forum after all.

Quite right! 293K would be a bit much for an ecofan, despite how good they are.?

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

What other measurement uses the letter K on it's own?

Edited by Robbo

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

Well, you did ask. :D

Never seen anyone write distance or cost with just "K" tho only when people say it like I ran 10k.   I could also add computer stuff, but it was more popular saying in the 80's n 90's.

Edited by Robbo

5 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Not thought of that of that one. ?    Although cost is prefixed with another symbol and distance should be suffixed with km?

You're absolutely right, but in general usage a distance 293km would often be shortened further to 293k and 293 thousand pounds would also often be shortened to 293k. There's no speed limit that high as far as I'm aware, but a 50km speed limit would often be stated as a 50k limit.  All not strictly correct, but in common use.