Trip up to the North East

nicknorman

Featured Posts

I think with the current drought our plans for a double crossing of the Pennines are best put on hold. So Plan B, 7 week trip from Fazeley Mill Marina (B&F) is to go down the Trent. Firstly to "do" the Chesterfield, and thence on perhaps to Ripon. Hoping that by then there might be some water in the trans-Pennine canals!

So two questions if I may: Is the Chesterfield prone to water shortages in times of drought?

Secondly, when we get to the end of the Stainforth and Keadby canal, of course we will be turning right to get to Selby. But should we first turn left to "do" the upper reaches of the SSYN? Is it nice, or is it all a bit industrial / bleak / big wide expanses of boring waterway?

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think with the current drought our plans for a double crossing of the Pennines are best put on hold. So Plan B, 7 week trip from Fazeley Mill Marina (B&F) is to go down the Trent. Firstly to "do" the Chesterfield, and thence on perhaps to Ripon. Hoping that by then there might be some water in the trans-Pennine canals!

So two questions if I may: Is the Chesterfield prone to water shortages in times of drought?

Secondly, when we get to the end of the Stainforth and Keadby canal, of course we will be turning right to get to Selby. But should we first turn left to "do" the upper reaches of the SSYN? Is it nice, or is it all a bit industrial / bleak / big wide expanses of boring waterway?

Turn left some of its fab ?

52 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

The Chesterfield can be a bit prone to weed. I was stopped just outside Retford by this the first time I tried it. The second go I got to the old Norwood Tunnel portal (the current end) OK. Very varied, mostly rural canal, with only a bit of grot through Worksop. The summit level at the end is lovely.

Definitely carry on the S&SYN. It has changed hugely since the mining and heavy industry was mostly closed down. Lots of trees alongside and clean water almost right in to the centre of Sheffield. I was expecting post industrial wasteland from Doncaster on, but it isn't like that. Very pretty from Doncaster, through Sprotbrough, to the edge of Mexborough. Need to book the Tinsley lock flight 24hrs in advance.

Jen

We are Ripon at the moment.  Came via Trent etc, all good.  When we got there we just hung a right onto the Aire to get to Selby.  The Aire river part is not interesting so really a winding way of getting to the Selby canal which is choked with weed at the moment so very slow going.  The A&C is big wide and fast on the other hand.  We will be going back the same route next week, down to Selby on the tide early Sunday morning.

There are few moving boats anywhere once you get past Cromwell.

Edited by john6767

7 minutes ago, john6767 said:

There are few moving boats anywhere once you get past Cromwell.

Yes, yes we flippin know thats why its so good up there so keep it to yourself. Oh and remember just how absolutely terrifying the tidal trent is innitt!!!

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes, yes we flippin know thats why its so good up there so keep it to yourself. Oh and remember just how absolutely terrifying the tidal trent is innitt!!!

It was earlier in the year. Thats why you're in Bristol innit:)

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It was earlier in the year. Thats why you're in Bristol innit:)

Couldnt even get on it ☹️ The Thames puddle again next week then after Lechlade may pop up to York but will see if we can be bothered. :cheers:

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (as the saying goes) but we loved the the S&SY but only ever got as far as Mexborough. The section between Doncaster and Sprotbrough is particularly pleasant.

The Selby is a nice canal but to get there the Aire between Bank Dole lock and West Haddersley is pretty uninspiring. The Aire and Calder also has a long boring section after Pollington to Knottingley.

But you get the chance to work the big hydraulic locks and not worry about grounding.

Ripon is definitely worth a visit.

Reservoirs on the Chesterfield are almost full, plus it is also river fed en-route.  Well worth the trip.

I/we have been known to lock-wheel the Thorpe/Turnerwood flights for visiting boat.  Let us know your plans nearer the time if you want.

'Narrowboat on the Trent' by John Lower, now published by the Chesterfield Canal Trust is a good source of information if you need it.

£7.50   ISBN 978-1-9999465-1-7

www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk

The SSYN is a green corridor almost to Sheffield.  You need to arrange passage in advance above Rotherham.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

It was a pussycat, but the Ouse was a bit more exciting.  We will see how it fairs the other way.

The lack of boats is a tad off putting, like why aren’t there any, what do they know that we don’t.  

Don’t expect to get diesel everywhere either, not much about, I get the feeling cans and white diesel is the normal order.  We filled up at York marina at Naburn, and it was surprisingly reasonable and any split.

19 minutes ago, john6767 said:

It was a pussycat, but the Ouse was a bit more exciting.  We will see how it fairs the other way.

The lack of boats is a tad off putting, like why aren’t there any, what do they know that we don’t.  

Don’t expect to get diesel everywhere either, not much about, I get the feeling cans and white diesel is the normal order.  We filled up at York marina at Naburn, and it was surprisingly reasonable and any split.

Always has been a problem for diesel but in reality a couple of places in Thorne and theres selby on the way and York marina amongst others. Its never been busy with leisure boats thats why many of us ( of the few ) love the area. Yes the Ouse is more of a challenge than most other rivers and coming off it at Selby can be fun but its fine if you time it right. A quick trip up both the Aire and the Calder to Leeds and Wakefield respectively is worth doing. Obviously for short boats across the L and L to finish off :cheers:

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Always has been a problem for diesel but in reality a couple of places in Thorne and theres selby on the way and York marina amongst others. Its never been busy with leisure boats thats why many of us ( of the few ) love the area. Yes the Ouse is more of a challenge than most other rivers and coming off it at Selby can be fun but its fine if you time it right. A quick trip up both the Aire and the Calder to Leeds and Wakefield respectively is worth doing. Obviously for short boats across the L and L to finish off :cheers:

Yes I noticed one in Thorne.  The place in Selby does not do diesel anymore, he recommended York marina as the only place when I called them.

I would like to go back the long way, but my wife has to be back at work, so it is back by the Trent.

• Happy 1

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Thanks for all the comments folks. I did take a narrowboat up to Ripon from the midlands once before, but it was a while ago and I don’t remember much about it. I was then 18 and I’m now 61!

The main difference then Nick is everything now is " in colour "

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I've only done Tinsley to Sheffield but that was a pleasant short trip even if it was on one of those horrid ex working boats.

Goodness how the heck can you enjoy any canal in one of those smoke spewing thumping engine ancient rot buckets ?

• Haha 1

Garage by the services in Boroughbridge also does red diesel, and is reasonable about the split.  This is the only canalside refueling point on the stretch between York Marina and Ripon.  The BP garage in Ripon does red as well......but it's a bit of a walk from the canal!

Edited by Fatjoff

3 hours ago, Fatjoff said:

Garage by the services in Boroughbridge also does red diesel, and is reasonable about the split.  This is the only canalside refueling point on the stretch between York Marina and Ripon.  The BP garage in Ripon does red as well......but it's a bit of a walk from the canal!

Yes saw that, but I was a bit concerned about their turnover in red diesel on the boat pump outlet.  Last thing I want now is deisel bug.   Didn't see anybody buy diesel when we moored over night there, but then we only saw one other boat!  Will be in Bourbridge again tomorrow, but have decided to fill up again at York marina.

21 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yes saw that, but I was a bit concerned about their turnover in red diesel on the boat pump outlet.  Last thing I want now is deisel bug.   Didn't see anybody buy diesel when we moored over night there, but then we only saw one other boat!  Will be in Bourbridge again tomorrow, but have decided to fill up again at York marina.

When we moored for 6 years at Ripon we regularly filled up at Boroughbridge without any problems.

On 04/07/2018 at 19:02, mrsmelly said:

Couldnt even get on it ☹️ The Thames puddle again next week then after Lechlade may pop up to York but will see if we can be bothered. :cheers:

Our paths may cross again soon then Tim.

We're setting off from the Napton area at the weekend and plan to be in Abingdon in about 10 to 14 days for a couple of nights then heading further downstream for an out and back to a point yet to be decided. We may possibly add on a repeat trip up towards Lechlade at the end depending how far downstream we go and how much time we have left when we return to Oxford.

10 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Our paths may cross again soon then Tim.

We're setting off from the Napton area at the weekend and plan to be in Abingdon in about 10 to 14 days for a couple of nights then heading further downstream for an out and back to a point yet to be decided. We may possibly add on a repeat trip up towards Lechlade at the end depending how far downstream we go and how much time we have left when we return to Oxford.

Cool. We get the beer this time then :cheers: