March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

We went past that one a few years ago when he was moored opposite overhanging branches with shallow water underneath. The couple were sitting in the front of their boat and seemed to be of the opinion that it was our fault for wanting to pass them there rather than their fault for mooring with no consideration for other boats. I didn't care for widebeams before and that didn't change my mind.

5 hours ago, MtB said:

progressively more infested with these abominations, the delights of the narrow navigations such as the Oxford will become more widely recognised and in demand.

Except of course, that bit of the Oxford going North from Braunston to the Prison Marina.

That was quite narrow there when I was around the area in the mid 90s in my narrow boat but I think the bridgeholes were wider than usual. 

If there are idiots taking wide boats up there they need ejecting and CRT should put in a restriction below the A45 bridge. 

Width restriction of say 7ft6 under the bridge. 

Just now, David Mack said:

"Nice to live in, just not ideal to cruise in"

Except they don't seem to cruise in it!

It must get around a fair bit otherwise the CRT would presumably enforce against it.

Or Maybe the owners are disabled and have equality act adjustments in place. 

Like being able to park your car on a double yellow line by a junction if you have a blue badge. 

13 minutes ago, kris88 said:

I don’t know I think you will find just some general hatred towards widebeams if you read the thread. 

I doubt that many boaters object to them when travelling or moored sensibly on wide canals designed for them, and not breaking the mooring rules.

However the big growth in widebeams in recent years seems to have been in boats which don't, which is what has stirred up the dislike/hatred of them... 😞

If you don't do this and dislike being disliked (assuming you have a wideboat), perhaps you should blame these inconsiderate wideboaters, not the people they annoy?

11 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

The blog writer does. We saw them in Paddington last autumn. They are now up above Lapworth.

I think the black widebeam in the photos was being referred to (which has barely moved for a couple of years) not the blog writers...

Edited by IanD

Inconsiderate boaters come in boats of all shapes and sizes. It’s just easy to pick on widebeams because of the anti widebeam propaganda that’s been floating about for a while. Part of crts divide and rule policy. I bet you all put down you want widebeams to pay more on the licence consultation? Like good little sheep. 

10 minutes ago, kris88 said:

Inconsiderate boaters come in boats of all shapes and sizes. It’s just easy to pick on widebeams because of the anti widebeam propaganda that’s been floating about for a while. Part of crts divide and rule policy. I bet you all put down you want widebeams to pay more on the licence consultation? Like good little sheep. 

Are you still CMing or have you finally fixed your stern gear?

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Are you still CMing or have you finally fixed your stern gear?

You’ll have to find someone else to have an argument with. Especially if that’s the best you’ve got? 

Edited by kris88

17 minutes ago, kris88 said:

Inconsiderate boaters come in boats of all shapes and sizes. 

A wide boat is more awkward to handle and is reasonably likely to have more mod cons and creature comforts than a narrow. For this reason one could expect it likely that they will be used less for moving, used more for mooring, use more of the provided facilities and also be more likely to run engines at inappropriate times for providing hot water and charging batteries..

This is not a hard and fast rule but it does seem to actually happen like this in reality. 

Some would argue that these craft are drawing people to boats for the wrong reasons. 

This is actually quite an interesting topic if you take a position of being able to understand both sides of the argument.

Obstruction is an interesting point. 

Edited by magnetman

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

A wide boat is more awkward to handle and is reasonably likely to have more mod cons and creature comforts than a narrow. For this reason one could expect it likely that they will be used less for moving, used more for mooring, use more of the provided facilities and also be more likely to run engines at inappropriate times for providing hot water and charging batteries..

This is not a hard and fast rule but it does seem to actually happen like this in reality. 

I’m not going to support inconsiderate boaters in any shape or size of boat. 
But it’s just to easy to hate widebeams it seems. It coincides with the latest crt propaganda, so your all right on message. 

Edited by kris88

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

I would be deeply offended if someone suggested I had been in a marina.

It is just so infra dig I would only contemplate it in an extreme emergency. 

Exactly I feel extremely offended, as I feel the same about marinas. Especially as most of them are owned by aqua vista nowadays. 

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

So you lied ?

No if anyone, it’s you who are posting untruth as if it is the truth.