March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

On 25/04/2022 at 13:03, Mike Todd said:

I noticed when passing a well-known long line of farm moorings on the Chester Canal I(northern part of Shroppie) not far from Tattenhall, that a wide beam is long term moored here. 

It could not go further south than Nantwich so cannot be intended for cruising. Wonder what the PP for permanent residential is at this site? There seem to be quite a few, but otherwise all narrow. Also one double mooring on what is rather narrow for half the length of the moorings.

There are quite a few widebeams now in Tattenhall Marina. Indeed they are selling them from new there

• 1 month later...

A fleet of fatties coming through the tunnel

Notice Alert

Grand Union Canal

Starts At: Blisworth Tunnel North Portal

Ends At: Blisworth Tunnel South Portal

Wednesday 15 June 2022 until Wednesday 15 June 2022 23:59

Type: Advice Reason: Information

Original message: Please note we have 3 widebeam transits taking place through Blisworth tunnel on Wednesday 15th June at 8am. 
This will cause delays for any narrowboats travelling. If you are planning to use the tunnel, please be through before 8am or aim to arrive after 9:30am.
Thank you for your patience.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://mandrillapp.com/track/click/10513099/canalrivertrust.org.uk?p=eyJzIjoiQ3I0dmM0VFhBVVc5LXZoVmVCV3ZOem9mMFBrIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjoxMDUxMzA5OSxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL2NhbmFscml2ZXJ0cnVzdC5vcmcudWtcXFwvbm90aWNlXFxcLzIyNTE3XFxcL2JsaXN3b3J0aC10dW5uZWwtZ3JhbmQtdW5pb24tY2FuYWxcIixcImlkXCI6XCI2YWYzZDFmNDI3NzM0MGUxYmIxNTA4Yzk4OThkMGE0OFwiLFwidXJsX2lkc1wiOltcIjA2YjgzYWVlMjc1MWE2ODdlZTEzMzVhMmYyZWFiYTdjN2I1NjY2YTRcIl19In0

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Notice Alert

Grand Union Canal

Starts At: Blisworth Tunnel North Portal

Ends At: Blisworth Tunnel South Portal

Wednesday 15 June 2022 until Wednesday 15 June 2022 23:59

Type: Advice Reason: Information

Original message: Please note we have 3 widebeam transits taking place through Blisworth tunnel on Wednesday 15th June at 8am. 
This will cause delays for any narrowboats travelling. If you are planning to use the tunnel, please be through before 8am or aim to arrive after 9:30am.

https://mandrillapp.com/track/click/10513099/canalrivertrust.org.uk?p=eyJzIjoiQ3I0dmM0VFhBVVc5LXZoVmVCV3ZOem9mMFBrIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjoxMDUxMzA5OSxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL2NhbmFscml2ZXJ0cnVzdC5vcmcudWtcXFwvbm90aWNlXFxcLzIyNTE3XFxcL2JsaXN3b3J0aC10dW5uZWwtZ3JhbmQtdW5pb24tY2FuYWxcIixcImlkXCI6XCI2YWYzZDFmNDI3NzM0MGUxYmIxNTA4Yzk4OThkMGE0OFwiLFwidXJsX2lkc1wiOltcIjA2YjgzYWVlMjc1MWE2ODdlZTEzMzVhMmYyZWFiYTdjN2I1NjY2YTRcIl19In0

At least they had the good manners to book, so credit to them.

Unlike the a-hole on FB "Miles Away", who considers himself above such courtesies.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

: Please note we have 3 widebeam transits taking place through Blisworth tunnel on Wednesday 15th June at 8am. 

= No Boats Shall Pass?

Edited by Athy
  • Haha 1

Another one 

Notice Alert

Grand Union Canal
Starts At: Blisworth Tunnel South Portal
Ends At: Blisworth Tunnel North Portal

Friday 17 June 2022 until Friday 17 June 2022 23:59

Type: Advice
Reason: Information

Original message:

Please note we have a widebeam transit taking place through Blisworth tunnel on Friday 17th June at 8am. 

This will cause delays for any narrowboats travelling. If you are planning to use the tunnel, please be through before 8am or aim to arrive after 9am.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/22537/blisworth-tunnel-grand-union-canal

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Notice Alert

Grand Union Canal
Starts At: Braunston Tunnel East Portal
Ends At: Braunston Tunnel West Portal

Friday 17 June 2022 until Friday 17 June 2022 23:59

Type: Advice
Reason: Information

Original message:

Please note we have a widebeam transit taking place through Braunston tunnel on Friday 17th June at 8am. 

This will cause delays for any narrowboats travelling. If you are planning to use the tunnel, please be through before 8am or aim to arrive after 9am.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/22535/braunston-tunnel-grand-union-canal

• 3 months later...

Now this one apparently bound for Weltonfield or Welton Hythe tomorrow.....dont they know the Leicester line is a narrow canal???...Just ridiculous!

Notice Alert

Grand Union Canal
Starts At: Braunston Tunnel West Portal
Ends At: Braunston Tunnel East Portal

Tuesday 27 September 2022 07:30 until Tuesday 27 September 2022 09:00

Type: Booking Information 

Original message:

Braunston tunnel will be closed to traffic from 07:30, possibly until 09:00 on the 27th September for the passage of a wide boat travelling from Braunston to Welton. 

Boats may enter the tunnel if directed to do so by CRT staff at the tunnel portal or after 08:00 if no member of CRT is present.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/23405/braunston-tunnel-grand-union-canal

Edited to Add

I guess it might mean the southern portal of Braunston Tunnel as the village of Welton is there but to my mind Welton in a canal context is on the Leics Line...I have sent a message to CRT asking where exactly they mean.

Edited by frangar

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

Now this one apparently bound for Weltonfield or Welton Hythe tomorrow.....dont they know the Leicester line is a narrow canal???...Just ridiculous!

Notice Alert

Grand Union Canal
Starts At: Braunston Tunnel West Portal
Ends At: Braunston Tunnel East Portal

Tuesday 27 September 2022 07:30 until Tuesday 27 September 2022 09:00

Type: Booking Information 

Original message:

Braunston tunnel will be closed to traffic from 07:30, possibly until 09:00 on the 27th September for the passage of a wide boat travelling from Braunston to Welton. 

Boats may enter the tunnel if directed to do so by CRT staff at the tunnel portal or after 08:00 if no member of CRT is present.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/23405/braunston-tunnel-grand-union-canal

To be fair, it doesn’t say they’re going to Weltonfield or Weston Hythe.  It says they’re going to Welton — and the first bridge after the tunnel is Welton Lane Bridge, and the mooring there are Welton Wharf.  And anyway, the Welton location is probably only given so people understand the direction of travel.

4 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

To be fair, it doesn’t say they’re going to Weltonfield or Weston Hythe.  It says they’re going to Welton — and the first bridge after the tunnel is Welton Lane Bridge, and the mooring there are Welton Wharf.  And anyway, the Welton location is probably only given so people understand the direction of travel.

I have just added a point to that effect.....There is already a widebeam in Welton Hythe however....and Im guessing it got there by water!

8 minutes ago, frangar said:

I have just added a point to that effect.....There is already a widebeam in Welton Hythe however....and Im guessing it got there by water!

I doubt it, because there’s a narrow right at the start of the Leicester Line.  I’m not sure how narrow it is, but I’d be amazed if a widebeam chanced it.

3 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

I doubt it, because there’s a narrow right at the start of the Leicester Line.  I’m not sure how narrow it is, but I’d be amazed if a widebeam chanced it.

Trust me its there....Just inside the entrance to the marina....and Im pretty sure there isn't any lifting kit at Welton Hythe for any size boat....I don't even think they have a crane pad....unless they have built one recently. There was a widebeam on the VM just along from the junction a while back so they do physically fit through mores the pity.

37 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

I can also confirm that there is a widebeam in Welton Hythe marina, at least it was there in the summer.  The narrows at the start of the Leicester Line are not that “narrow”!

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Indeed they are...but the "Welton" marinas are before the locks.....

True, I should have explained a bit more. The blockage for widebeams is at Watford, not before. I have seen fatties on th Leicester, particularly at the waterpoint just past bridge 1 which makes it fun to get past.

13 hours ago, Kiwidad said:

True, I should have explained a bit more. The blockage for widebeams is at Watford, not before. I have seen fatties on th Leicester, particularly at the waterpoint just past bridge 1 which makes it fun to get past.

Surely from that end Bridge 1 at the junction is the defining limit?

The issue seems to be spreading: we have just been on the top end of the Trent and Mersey where there are several marinas. At least two of them have wide boats moored there. There is little that some of them can do as at one end there is Dutton Stop Lock, now effectively narrow (9 feet?), and at the other end the aqueduct just before Middlewich which was rebuilt as narrow - no room for argument about that one! One wide boat was on a seemingly on-line mooring (a pontoon part of the marina but adjacent to the navigable channel) It certainly will not be going very far.

The vegetation management in that area also allows reeds to flourish and quite often at this time of the year only a narrow channel exists - NBs have to treat the section as one way and a WB would have to push the reeds back. I await hearing that a WB owner is demanding that the vegetation be cut back to allow them to pass as they are licensed on that canal.

Although very very few of the widebeams moored in the marinas at the top of the T & M venture out they could ,( when the lift  is working ) go down onto the Weaver. Most , I think, are liveaboards and they don't even need to move to get water ( on the pontoons) or pump outs ( Halsall calls every two weeks ) .

There is certainly a lot of them ! 

Edited by haggis

Last we were on the T & M moored at at Marbury Country Park a couple of widebeams came past. Don't reckon their bow thrusters lasting long as they both steered through the bridge using them, so presumably a lot of the other bridges on the way.

21 hours ago, haggis said:

Although very very few of the widebeams moored in the marinas at the top of the T & M venture out they could ,( when the lift  is working ) go down onto the Weaver. Most , I think, are liveaboards and they don't even need to move to get water ( on the pontoons) or pump outs ( Halsall calls every two weeks ) .

There is certainly a lot of them ! 

But technically at least, CaRT's official max beam for Preston Brook to Croxton is 9ft (2.74m) - see https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/32433-waterway-dimensions.pdf?v=606a43

Given that the T&C limit boats to the published dimensions, surely such usage is not permissible for boats greater than 9ft? Obviously, CaRT can give special permission to modify the T&C's for specific situations but . . . 

On 26/09/2022 at 20:12, frangar said:

Indeed they are...but the "Welton" marinas are before the locks.....

But the official dimension form Norton Junction to Foxton is 6' 11" (2.12m) so attempting to go from Norton to that marina is not compliant with the T&C's . . .