Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Richmond

Recommendations for vacuum cleaner

Featured Posts

Where's twocvbloke when you need him...once the forum vac guru.

Personally I have a couple of Henrys and a Red Devil handheld which all work fine on my inverter and suitcase gennie.

We had a Dyson cordless but it went to the charity shop because it was crap.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a cheap, light mains model, which converts from upright to hand-held, backed up occasionally by a Numeric George wet & dry vac for deep cleaning and any wet stuff. The George lives at home until needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henry for me. Lives in the back of my modern trad.

Our first one we left at our last house move. Still working great and no spares needed at 22 years old.

As a maintenance man I have used a few customers cleaners and generally disappointed in Dyson. Some are not too bad but wouldn't buy one.

James:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The latter V6 type are viciously powerful initially, but the cone filter blocks stupidly quickly and even the tiniest bit of stove ash sucked up will stop the thing stone dead. Cleaning the cone filter is a pig of a job too. Has to be done wet as you just can't shake all the dust out, then it takes a day to dry before you can use it again. Don't put the filter back in wet or the cleaner will run for about 2 seconds finely spraying water everywhere then the motor will die. DAMHIKT. If you call Dyson and tell them it has failed, but miss out the bit about putting the filter back in wet, they will send a new motor FOC. DAMHIKT either ;)

What heap of junk !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up a Miele for £125 off Gumtree some years back , I run it via the Travel Pack whilst the engine is running , absolutely no issues . Plenty on Ebay from around £65 upwards , along with Sebo probably the best machines you can buy

Edited by Parahandy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

I picked up a Miele for £125 off Gumtree some years back , I run it via the Travel Pack whilst the engine is running , absolutely no issues . Plenty on Ebay from around £65 upwards

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Miele-Vacuum-Cleaner-H1-Last-X3-in-Stock/10015864487?iid=152928832729 Here is a handheld version reconditioned by Miele , worth a punt ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As usual with vacuum cleaner threads, those on here with beefy inverters are recommending corded 240v appliances, while those of us with more moderate electrical systems are discussing tyhe merits of the various rechargeable handheld cleaners.

 

240v corded appliances are definitely better and cheaper. But you HAVE to have a hefty 240Vac power supply.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dmr said:

Another possibility is the Makita, its only about £50 and Makita stuff is usually dead good. Has anybody here used one???? The £50 is without batteries or charger so this would be most attractive for those who already have Makita drills/angle grinders/multi tools etc and a collection of batteries.

...........Dave

Thanks for the suggestion. I have now bought a Makita vac. Already got the batteries and charger, which are the expensive bits. £35 from Screwfix. First impressions are good. Reasonable suction, well made. Ideal for the relatively small space on a boat. Designed for tradespeople,who spread sawdust all over the place, so copes with stove ash spills. Good riddance to the knackered Dyson corded vac!

Jen

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many moons ago, (I'm 97.5% sure it was Mr Dyson), a bloke came into my office and offered four bagless vacuums for a two week trial. At the time I ran the cleaning at an IBM manufacturing site in Havant. Nearly 1,000,000 sq ft. Anyway, the general opinion from a number of my very experience cleaning staff was that it is 'cr*p. There was a questionnaire left to complete. A number of things let it down. The perplex dust collector scratched very easily, cumbersome and at the time bulky. There may well be modifications since about 1994 ish! 

Looking around various markets you'll find stalls that just sell refurbed Dysons. To me, that tells a very important story.

 

Just saying like. May I add, everything I buy I have to justify the cost. With Dysons, I can't.

 

Foot note. With that last comment in mind. I need 8 (eight) screws for my solar panels. Had to buy a box of a hundred. They are the ones I wanted. Mind, they were £5.50 a box. And they have rubber washers to help keep the weather,wether,whether out.

Edited by Nightwatch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have now bought a Makita vac. Already got the batteries and charger, which are the expensive bits. £35 from Screwfix. First impressions are good. Reasonable suction, well made. Ideal for the relatively small space on a boat. Designed for tradespeople,who spread sawdust all over the place, so copes with stove ash spills. Good riddance to the knackered Dyson corded vac!

Jen

Thanks, can you report back in a month or so when you have lived with it a bit longer?.  I've also got Makita stuff so It does look very tempting at that price. Have to say I don't like the styling, even the Dyson looks better. Sad because most Makita tools really do look quite pleasing. Im a sad old git but my Makita battery angle grinder and my B&Q log splitting Maul are my favourite tools, with my ancient Thor copper-hide not far behind. We could start a favourite tool thread. ?

 

.......Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, dmr said:

Thanks, can you report back in a month or so when you have lived with it a bit longer?.  I've also got Makita stuff so It does look very tempting at that price. Have to say I don't like the styling, even the Dyson looks better. Sad because most Makita tools really do look quite pleasing. Im a sad old git but my Makita battery angle grinder and my B&Q log splitting Maul are my favourite tools, with my ancient Thor copper-hide not far behind. We could start a favourite tool thread. ?

 

.......Dave

Will do. Remind me if I forget.

Jen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Many moons ago, (I'm 97.5% sure it was Mr Dyson), a bloke came into my office and offered four bagless vacuums for a two week trial. At the time I ran the cleaning at an IBM manufacturing site in Havant. Nearly 1,000,000 sq ft. Anyway, the general opinion from a number of my very experience cleaning staff was that it is 'cr*p. There was a questionnaire left to complete. A number of things let it down. The perplex dust collector scratched very easily, cumbersome and at the time bulky. There may well be modifications since about 1994 ish! 

Looking around various markets you'll find stalls that just sell refurbed Dysons. To me, that tells a very important story.

 

Just saying like. May I add, everything I buy I have to justify the cost. With Dysons, I can't.

 

Foot note. With that last comment in mind. I need 8 (eight) screws for my solar panels. Had to buy a box of a hundred. They are the ones I wanted. Mind, they were £5.50 a box. And they have rubber washers to help keep the weather,wether,whether out.

Small world innitt. About as many moons ago as you in 96 I  ran a pub in Malmesbury bang opposite the newly built ( no longer there ) Dyson factory. We  got plenty of custom from there and the MD became a very good one. In passing one day she asked if we had one of their vacs and I said No ( we had a nilfisk at the time ) so she said oh I will send you one over. A couple of hours later a car pulled up with two free vacs the upright and the little jobby and we began to use them...........................oh dear.............not for long completely useless. Couldnt even vac tab ends up without jamming up and so flimsy. Left em at  the pub in a cupboard when we moved on.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Parahandy said:

I picked up a Miele for £125 off Gumtree some years back , I run it via the Travel Pack whilst the engine is running , absolutely no issues . Plenty on Ebay from around £65 upwards , along with Sebo probably the best machines you can buy

When we moved onto our boat in 2002, we took our Dyson DC04 with us but it proved to be far too big and bulky (although it performed well enough whilst we owned it). Sold it and bought a new Miele 2000w 230v vacuum. (pre EU power wattage regulations). Brilliant machine with fantastic suction. Still have it today. Great for getting the very long cat hairs out of the carpet. Should we ever need another 2000W model, they will hopefully be available when we are out of the EU?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Edders said:

When we moved onto our boat in 2002, we took our Dyson DC04 with us but it proved to be far too big and bulky (although it performed well enough whilst we owned it). Sold it and bought a new Miele 2000w 230v vacuum. (pre EU power wattage regulations). Brilliant machine with fantastic suction. Still have it today. Great for getting the very long cat hairs out of the carpet. Should we ever need another 2000W model, they will hopefully be available when we are out of the EU?

Hopefully when we are out of the EU we will have the common sense not to undo sensible regulations. However as a nation we decided to leave the EU, which doesn't bode well when it comes to common sense.

  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Yeah but! Yeah but! What about that fantastic reasonably price Kirby monstrosity. 

Whenever customers would ask my advice on what vac to buy they always assumed I would recommend the Kirby but I agree too heavy and unwieldy and not that great at cleaning either.  If anyone is interested most professionals use Sebo's but that is mainly because it's easy and cheap to replace the roller brushes.  The best vac I ever used was a Nilco which start at around £600 that's a lot of money for a carpet sweeper to most folk but you do get what you pay for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Edders said:

When we moved onto our boat in 2002, we took our Dyson DC04 with us but it proved to be far too big and bulky (although it performed well enough whilst we owned it). Sold it and bought a new Miele 2000w 230v vacuum. (pre EU power wattage regulations). Brilliant machine with fantastic suction. Still have it today. Great for getting the very long cat hairs out of the carpet. Should we ever need another 2000W model, they will hopefully be available when we are out of the EU?

Without the regulations, the manufacturers just built machines with cheap and horribly inefficient motors and fans. It doesn't matter that the motor has undersized windings that turn half the energy to heat: the airflow stops it melting. Plus, they can advertise it as 2000W and people think that's good, rather than asking for airflow specs which is what matters. With the regulations, the manufacturers have to fit efficient motors and fans to get good airflow. Less power is used (very important on a boat) and the thing doesn't just kick out vast quantities of  hot air.

 

In this case, "the man" is trying to help you.

 

MP.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were sick of the sheer weight of our Dyson ball and the fact it is corded. It now resides in a cupboard as a spare even though as a vacum it was very good.

 

We replaced it with a g tech air ram k9 and a g tech multi k9. Both are very good and come with a 30 day return option if you are not happy with them. They also have a 2 year warranty.

 

Last Thursday I had a problem with the air ram in that it wouldn't switch off unless you detached the battery. I rang them at 5pm and at 10am the following morning a brand new battery was delivered, no quibble.

 

The multi which would suit the OP's needs is efficient easy to use and the k9 version comes with a very good pet hair removal roller head.

 

Very happy with both.

Edited by MJG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MJG said:

We were sick of the sheer weight of our Dyson ball and the fact it is corded. It now resides in a cupboard as a spare even though as a vacum it was very good.

 

We replaced it with a g tech air ram k9 and a g tech multi k9. Both are very good and come with a 30 day return option if you are not happy with them. They also have a 2 year warranty.

 

Last Thursday I had a problem with the air ram in that it wouldn't switch off unless you detached the battery. I rang them at 5pm and at 10am the following morning a brand new battery was delivered, no quibble.

 

The multi which would suit the OP's needs is efficient easy to use and the k9 version comes with a very good pet removal roller head.

 

Very happy with both.

Thanks for this. Discovered I have a relative who works for Gtech! Have just taken advantage of her staff discount and ordered a multi.

 

Glad you are able to remove your pets.

 

Tom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tom Richmond said:

 

 

Glad you are able to remove your pets.

 

Tom.

?

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/04/2018 at 13:47, Dartagnan said:

We are a dyson family but I have read good reviews of Shark and G Tech.  Dyson are no longer manufacturing chorded uprights as they say their cordless are now as powerful and efficient.  We do have one of their older cordlesssticks as well but we won’t be buying one of their new models anytime soon.  They are truly eye wateringly expensive

 

 

 

Sorry to be pedantic but I believe they have said they are no longer developing corded, rather than no longer manufacturing them, at least for now. Though obviously they will do eventually.

Edited by MJG
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a Dyson V6 handheld and a Dyson 240v DC50, (I think), on the boat. The corded one has a handle which slides down so it’s only half height when stored. Had both for years, neither has missed a beat, and both pick up really well. It’s not a commercial environment, so what happens in pubs and million square foot warehouses isn’t much of a comparison. 

 

A handheld and a cordless at home similarly effective.

 

Lots of praise for, and no complaints about, Dysons here :)

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Tom Richmond said:

Glad you are able to remove your pets.

 

Blimey, that is a powerful vacuum cleaner. Do you think the dust container would hold my GSD? ?

Edited by cuthound
To add a smiley
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I’ve got a Dyson V6 handheld and a Dyson 240v DC50, (I think), on the boat. The corded one has a handle which slides down so it’s only half height when stored. Had both for years, neither has missed a beat, and both pick up really well. It’s not a commercial environment, so what happens in pubs and million square foot warehouses isn’t much of a comparison. 

 

A handheld and a cordless at home similarly effective.

 

Lots of praise for, and no complaints about, Dysons here :)

We have the same set up as you at home and are very happy with it.  I have just bought a Dyson Light Ball for the boat.

I have no issues re supply of 240v as the boat came with a very good leisure battery bank and inverter together with an inbuilt diesel  6kv whisper Gen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Without the regulations, the manufacturers just built machines with cheap and horribly inefficient motors and fans. It doesn't matter that the motor has undersized windings that turn half the energy to heat: the airflow stops it melting. Plus, they can advertise it as 2000W and people think that's good, rather than asking for airflow specs which is what matters. With the regulations, the manufacturers have to fit efficient motors and fans to get good airflow. Less power is used (very important on a boat) and the thing doesn't just kick out vast quantities of  hot air.

 

In this case, "the man" is trying to help you.

 

MP.

 

Good point. Mind you, I have always considered Miele a quality brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.