Hull Survey

Featured Posts

Just now, DavidPeckham said:

Hi all, is it adviseable to be present for a hull survey? it's been suggested that I just turn up when completed.

Cheers,

Brian

I would,and in fact did.You will learn more if the surveyor is willing.

I doubt that some surveyors will want you shadowing theirwork for several hours, but most will encourage you to come along towards the end, and will want to actively discuss their findings before they supply their written report.

If you already own the boat and are having a hull survey, I would have the hull pressure washed prior to survey and blacked afterwards. If I were have a pre purchase inspection it's also well worth pressure washing the hull to get a really good look at the steelwork. 

Worth discussing this with the vendor, and if the boat has a a 2 part blacking, how will this be made good following completion of the survey, which involves removal of some of the protective covering.

Tricky one, really, pre sale inspections help.

I recently arrange for a hull survey on my boat, pressure washing helped get a much better idea of any problems (none found fortunately). I just let the Surveyor get one with the inspection and waited for his report, it's easier that way, not distracting him all the while. 

On 29/04/2018 at 19:19, alan_fincher said:

I doubt that some surveyors will want you shadowing theirwork for several hours, but most will encourage you to come along towards the end, and will want to actively discuss their findings before they supply their written report.

The surveyor for our boat, (Steve Hands), didn’t want me on the boat while he was doing the survey and, being in a similar business, I can understand why.

However, he was happy for me to join him in the saloon, once he had finished, when he spent the best part of an hour talking me through his findings. Very much the best way as he has had time to think about what he is looking at, and to reach some conclusions. The most telling thing that he said was “If you don’t buy it, I will!”.

I still refer to his survey from time to time, even though it’s nearly 7 years ago.

Just ask him if he minds you being present for the hull survey, cant see a problem if your only watching and ask questions afterwards after all you are paying and its nice to see where your hard earned is going.

Neil

On 29/04/2018 at 19:12, DavidPeckham said:

Hi all, is it adviseable to be present for a hull survey? it's been suggested that I just turn up when completed.

Cheers,

Brian

Whats a hull survey?

22 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

As opposed to a full survey they only check the condition of the hull and not mechanicals, electricals, heating etc. but you knew that didn't you.

Neil

Yes, he knew that.

36 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Whats a hull survey?

It's a bit further on past Goole, have a decko as you pass, that's a Hull survey....

On 29/04/2018 at 20:56, zenataomm said:

Be there, you're paying hundreds and you are the customer.  

Even just throw away comments are valuable, and immediately lost if you're not there to hear them.

Exactly...

1 minute ago, NB Esk said:

Yes, he knew that.

It's a bit further on past Goole, have a decko as you pass, that's a Hull survey....

:clapping:Id be having flippin babies mate if I passed hull in my skip................a boat it aint!!

I was present at the hull survey of a boat we'd put an offer on, the seller wasn't. I was surprised at just how little of the boat was 'surveyed'. Two spots, high and low, every two foot I think. Plus the general visual look without touching. It was certainly good to have been there though the paperwork read much more extensively than the work carried out. The boat came out of it with shocking statements, a more memorable one was 'I don't know what is holding the bottom on!' Needless to say, being stupid and absolute noobies, we bought the boat and then took it up the Coventry, Trent and Mersey, out onto the Trent and up the Erewash for the rebottoming. Our surveyor advised what work needed doing in the survey, but when the yard started work, it required significantly more refooting than was originally quoted for.

Ian.

10 minutes ago, IanR said:

I was present at the hull survey of a boat we'd put an offer on, the seller wasn't. I was surprised at just how little of the boat was 'surveyed'. Two spots, high and low, every two foot I think. Plus the general visual look without touching. It was certainly good to have been there though the paperwork read much more extensively than the work carried out. The boat came out of it with shocking statements, a more memorable one was 'I don't know what is holding the bottom on!' Needless to say, being stupid and absolute noobies, we bought the boat and then took it up the Coventry, Trent and Mersey, out onto the Trent and up the Erewash for the rebottoming. Our surveyor advised what work needed doing in the survey, but when the yard started work, it required significantly more refooting than was originally quoted for.

Ian.

Yeah, it happens, not to me , of course, I've never made a wrong decision - apart from a car or two, and a wooden boat. Oh, then there was that marriage. You only find out how to fix things by having things to fix and rusty old boats give you plenty to fix, after a few boats I reckon most of us could do a pretty good survey.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, IanR said:

Ian.

So: you paid for a survey; you were surprised by just how limited a check you got; you got a shocking report... and yet you still bought the boat.  You were at least brave enough to admit your error, which ought to help others, but I wonder just how many others fall in love with a boat and buy it whatever anyone says?  Lots, I suspect - in which case they'd be better off keeping the surveyor's fee in their fix-it fund... but not as well off as they would be if they listened to their surveyor maybe?

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

So: you paid for a survey; you were surprised by just how limited a check you got; you got a shocking report... and yet you still bought the boat.  You were at least brave enough to admit your error, which ought to help others, but I wonder just how many others fall in love with a boat and buy it whatever anyone says?  Lots, I suspect - in which case they'd be better off keeping the surveyor's fee in their fix-it fund... but not as well off as they would be if they listened to their surveyor maybe?

I didn't mind the work being needed, I just didn't want to pay for it on top of the boat! Our surveyor was pretty accurate on how much the work would cost and also gave sage advice on what was the 'norm' when it came to negotiating the price reductions ratio against the cost of said work with the seller. The surveyor didn't say don't buy it, far from it in fact. In the end we got a sounder boat for about the same asking price as the unknown (knackered) boat. Whilst at the yard we also got a couple of other jobs done which I'd have initially struggled to do.

Ian.

2 hours ago, Bee said:

Yeah, it happens, not to me , of course, I've never made a wrong decision - apart from a car or two, and a wooden boat. Oh, then there was that marriage. You only find out how to fix things by having things to fix and rusty old boats give you plenty to fix, after a few boats I reckon most of us could do a pretty good survey.

To say you have no idea about  whats best for the UK re brexit thats a pretty good post.

• Haha 1