Middlewich Branch breach - Shropshire Union

lostnortherner

Featured Posts

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Fair comment, but I do have some sympathy re the 'advisory groups' - just what does the Freight Advisory Group do ?

I should imagine it is quite busy at the moment as they are gearing up for the new contract that is to start on the Aire and Calder in the not too distant future.

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I should imagine it is quite busy at the moment as they are gearing up for the new contract that is to start on the Aire and Calder in the not too distant future.

And these guys will bring what to the party ?

Ian Wainwright
Road freight programme manager at Transport for London and previously senior policy officer for Freight having spent 18 years in the logistics business.

Mark Grimshaw-Smith
Head of Rail and Sea freight operations for CEMEX UK.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ian Wainwright
Road freight programme manager at Transport for London and previously senior policy officer for Freight having spent 18 years in the logistics business.

Mark Grimshaw-Smith

Their invoices?

To be fair, I am not sure if the members of these advisory groups  get paid or whether thy are volunteers (CART being a charity, after all), Do you know for sure?

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ian Wainwright

Mark Grimshaw-Smith

Thoughts on how to transport the freight onto and off of the boat?

There is a lot more to waterbourne freight then the actual boat!

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

If a serious situation occurs - example running out of T-Bags.

I’ve managed to wedge my boat across the canal. I’m in a bit of a situation here...

If these guys sit on the advisory commitees at no cost to CRT, then fair enough, but its not likely.

if the senior mangement of the CRT can't manage without them,  then the HR lot want to be re-assigned: to the jobcentre. Far too many of these guys in suits talk their way in to jobs when folks on the ground are already in post, but get passed over, leading to lowering of moral. Not saying I know much about the CRT, but if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a  duck .............................

Edited by LadyG

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well - as long as you have done it in an 'artistic way', now you know who to call.

Would she also help me with my poetry while I’m waiting?

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a  duck ...

... then it probably belongs to Dr Bob

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Director of what????

If you tried even 10 seconds of searching you might have found

http://www.situations.org.uk/claire-doherty-director-mbe/

so snide comments (or even, if I am generous a feeble joke) clearly do not do her justice, at least in the eyes of those to whom she is accountable.

A little more searching took me to

https://studiotosituation.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/the_new_rule_of_public_art.pdf

One of the lines of work that Claire has been doing is to set a framework for Public Art. Given that almost anything that CaRT does in this field (and on the right basis anything which enriches the environment is a Good Thing) then having a solid basis for decision making must, on the fact of it, be welcome. On a brief encounter, almost all of them seem to speak into the sbate about poetry on lock beams.

I honestly cannot recall the wording on the Hillmorton locks (but I guess it is easy to look up) but I do have an abiding visual memory of them.

38 minutes ago, Dave-Shrop said:

Why don't they pump it into tanks/reservoir and back again 

What a daft suggestion when there's a perfectly good reservoir below Wardle lock at the junction. 

34 minutes ago, Dave-Shrop said:

What is the delay getting it repaired, are they waiting for volunteers. I will bring my JCB and hammer in steel pilling then some puddles clay into hole and behind pilling and we can have it open by the end of next week.

Why don't you contact CaRT, I'm sure they would welcome your expertise.

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

Why don't you contact CaRT, I'm sure they would welcome your expertise.

But it would take them at least nine months to do all the paper work, and assess you as to whether you can do the job, make sure you know how to invoice at least five times what the job is worth,  then another month or two to look at it and make sure it isn't leaking (not that that helped at Dutton)...

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Perhaps they might make a start at generating some funds and start charging canoeists etc a licence fee. Also if they started charging all the continuous moorers in places like London, Bristol, Oxford etc, a mooring fee that represents the cost of housing in those places then they would generate large amounts of income.

If they charged continuous moorers in London £40 per night then that would reflect the cost of a cheap B&B in central London and generate CaRT £14,600 per boat per year. Still a cheap residence in London. If there are 300 boats then this would generate £4,38 million in one year. More than enough to pay for the breach repair in Middlewich don't you think? It would also bring in enough funds to reduce the tens of thousands of faults in the repair backlog.

[John coxon is a continuous cruiser]

If only he knew there are over 3000 boats in the greater London area., by his maths that's 43 million a year I wish.