Ultrasound Tank Gauge

RichLech

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Bee said:

I know its a hassle but a float sender out of a car and a gauge is dead cheap and not difficult to wire up. I put one in my fuel tank to avoid dipping it and ultrasound was too dear.

Not sure how wet tissue wrapped around the float would affect it though. I also foresee potential corrosion problems because the working bit is not liquid or vapour proof.

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I fitted the fresh water version to WotEver - dead simple to calibrate plus reliable. 

Totally agree, i've got the fresh water one as well and it's been excellent.

17 hours ago, Giant said:

The Gobius unit does drive a gauge without needing a hole, but it's not an ultrasound unit

Obviously as a layman I justify my question. I have a Gobius 4 which apparently operates using quote "a small vibration". What`s the difference between ultra sound and a small vibration. To me it has the same meaning other than I suppose how the vibration/sound is made. I would add that the first "kit" had problems on fitting with what I would call the brain however it was returned to Sweden and a replacement sent which I`ve yet to fit as been unable to empty the tank (a requirement of installation which is frustrating as the tank was on first installation brand new)  so not sure of its success. However I agree a torch gives a good indication of level of fill but in my case does require a very little bit of dismantling.  

On 06/03/2018 at 11:30, Flyboy said:

I've had one of these for 10 years without any problems.  http://mcsboatproducts.co.uk/portfolio/waste-water-gauge/

That's what I fitted to my waste tank. It paid for itself by showing the extant "tank full" light was coming on at just over 50% full, effectively halving the cost of my pumpouts whilst providing peace of mind against failure of the "tank full" light bulb.

Fitting is dead easy, only requiring a hole saw to drill a hole in the tank and the gauge fitting and wiring.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I like the look of the MCS gauge but am reluctant to cut another hole in my tank.

I have a couple of questions. 

When you use a hole cutter on a plastic tank, how do you stop the circular cut-out dropping into the tank? 

I have a black plate on top of my tanks (see picture) approx. 120mm in diameter. It has a bolt in the middle. Looks like some sort of access hole. Does anyone know how it is held in place? What happens if I undo the bolt? Does the internal fixing for the plate drop down into the bottom of the tank?

IMG_20180307_123733.jpg

22 minutes ago, RichLech said:

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I like the look of the MCS gauge but am reluctant to cut another hole in my tank.

I have a couple of questions. 

When you use a hole cutter on a plastic tank, how do you stop the circular cut-out dropping into the tank? 

I have a black plate on top of my tanks (see picture) approx. 120mm in diameter. It has a bolt in the middle. Looks like some sort of access hole. Does anyone know how it is held in place? What happens if I undo the bolt? Does the internal fixing for the plate drop down into the bottom of the tank?

IMG_20180307_123733.jpg

The bit that's cut out should stay inside the cutter. Regarding the black access plate, I would slacken it a bit and have a look underneath. I suspect that after slackening, if you turn it a bit  it will come out. If in doubt you could always contact the manufacturer for advice, if you know the make.

11 hours ago, Flyboy said:

The bit that's cut out should stay inside the cutter. Regarding the black access plate, I would slacken it a bit and have a look underneath. I suspect that after slackening, if you turn it a bit  it will come out. If in doubt you could always contact the manufacturer for advice, if you know the make.

I have one of those black things, I fitted it 17 years ago but got it fro Lee sanitation. I remember there is a plate underneath with a big fat O ring and the whole lot is made to fit and remove from the top, but I can't remember how.   Here is a link https://www.leesan.com/shop/leesan-inspection-hatch.aspx

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have one of those black things, I fitted it 17 years ago but got it fro Lee sanitation. I remember there is a plate underneath with a big fat O ring and the whole lot is made to fit and remove from the top, but I can't remember how.   Here is a link https://www.leesan.com/shop/leesan-inspection-hatch.aspx

Yes, like this.   https://www.leesan.com/uploaded_files/datasheets/inspection hatch fitting instructions.pdf

Thanks for that. My system is Lee San so that makes sense. Looking at the fitting instructions I can't quite make out how the bottom plate goes through the hole in the tank. If I really need to find out I'm sure a call to Lee San would reveal all. I've found them very helpful in the past.

I've gained a lot of information from this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed. I really favour the Gobius gauge but not the £300 price tag. I think I'll stick with the "bright torch" method for now. I can't convince myself that the inconvenience justifies cutting a new hole in the tank for the MCS gauge.   

2 hours ago, RichLech said:

I can't convince myself that the inconvenience justifies cutting a new hole in the tank for the MCS gauge.  

I really don’t understand this. Probably about 2 minutes work to cut the hole then another minute to screw in the sender. Less than 5 minutes start to finish. Where’s the problem?

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

I really don’t understand this. Probably about 2 minutes work to cut the hole then another minute to screw in the sender. Less than 5 minutes start to finish. Where’s the problem?

Exactly, mime took about 30 minutes, including cutting a hole in the tank,  cutting a hole in the bathroom for the meter,  and running the wiring to the ignition switch, sender and meter.

I was very cautious as it was my first "wholly owned" boat, and the first time I had used a multi-tool (for cutting the hole for the meter but could probably do the whole job in 15 minutes next time.

• Happy 1

On 3/8/2018 at 09:08, RichLech said:

You have to unscrew the nut quite a lot to loosen the plate underneath before you can remove it.  Once you get it loose it'll be fairly obvious how to get it out.

I have a tank watch in mine which probably switches the warning light on about half-full. I added a cheaper shorter s/s float switch and an automotive warning light whole thing cost less than £10 switches on about 90% full

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Vertical-Water-Level-Sensor-Float-Switch-High-Quality-Free-Post/122220622417?_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D50925%26meid%3De4fc29b880de448ab6541a5a3f4207b8%26pid%3D100705%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D122220622417&_trksid=p2045573.c100705.m4780

On 09/03/2018 at 08:48, RichLech said:

Thanks for that. My system is Lee San so that makes sense. Looking at the fitting instructions I can't quite make out how the bottom plate goes through the hole in the tank. If I really need to find out I'm sure a call to Lee San would reveal all. I've found them very helpful in the past.

I've gained a lot of information from this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed. I really favour the Gobius gauge but not the £300 price tag. I think I'll stick with the "bright torch" method for now. I can't convince myself that the inconvenience justifies cutting a new hole in the tank for the MCS gauge.   

Undo the bolt (quite long) until it comes to a stop ( there is a clip on the end of the bolt to stop it falling off) . Tip the cap as far as you can & rotate until the wide cut out slot goes over the tank skin & then rotate it around the slot.  It's just the reverse of the fitting instructions.    https://www.leesan.com/uploaded_files/datasheets/inspection hatch fitting instructions.pdf

Edited by Flyboy

A few years ago I fitted I think an ultrasound gauge to a plastic poo tank. It was very simple to fit. Self adhesive foil strips in the letter H shape stuck vertically on the tank side. On the H bar was a little plug sensor thing with two wires going to a digital LED light control box powered by 12v. If the shape and capacity of the tank was unknown, it could be confiquered and re-confiquered until it read correctly. I can't remember the make of it I'm afraid and the owner has sold that boat now and wouldn't remember what it was anyway. It was very good and reliable. Only works on plastic tanks of course though.  And no cutting holes in the tank releasing stinks.

Edited by bizzard

5 hours ago, bizzard said:

A few years ago I fitted I think an ultrasound gauge to a plastic poo tank. It was very simple to fit. Self adhesive foil strips in the letter H shape stuck vertically on the tank side. On the H bar was a little plug sensor thing with two wires going to a digital LED light control box powered by 12v. If the shape and capacity of the tank was unknown, it could be confiquered and re-confiquered until it read correctly. I can't remember the make of it I'm afraid and the owner has sold that boat now and wouldn't remember what it was anyway. It was very good and reliable. Only works on plastic tanks of course though.  And no cutting holes in the tank releasing stinks.

Probably capacitance as in electrons not tank capacity