Short height steerer

Elephantemg83

Featured Posts

Hi

I go narrowboating every year with friends, and I am hoping to take my guides on the canals too.

The problem is, I am quite short. Unless I stand on tiptoes I cannot see what's ahead or in the water.

Has anyone come across any equipment that might work?

I have tried a step, but that only works in a straight line. 

I have tried sitting above the gas, but again only works in straight line or steering to one side.

Any solutions greatly appreciated :-P

We bought a caravan step, mainly to use as a foot-rest when sitting on steerer's seat,  but it was also useful to gain height to see ahead some times.

Also makes a stool to sit on.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

images.jpeg.2ef76649c33667068abb5dfc9f75306f.jpeg

I invented Lego soled shoes years ago, the article is a post of mine on here in my content. Mine were obviously adjustable, clipping different coloured bricks on as required. Ideal for folk with legs of different length, but the main aim was for walkers and orienteerers that had a habit of walking around the side of hills and mountains, they could easily raise the height of the shoe on the outside or lower the height of the inside one to keep them  upright and perpendicular.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

reminds me of Devon cattle, always found on steep hillsides grazing parallel to the contour lines.  They all had left front and back legs longer than the right.

............... well. that was what I told the groccles when I crewed on the Kingswear Castle in the 60's.

If you think about it your options are very limited. It's seldom necessary to see things that close to the fore end, but I agree that it must be disconcerting for the steerer. My two alternatives have already been offered, but for what it's worth we used a milk crate or similar on our training courses and that worked well. You should only exceptionally need to put the tiller so far over that you have to step off the box, but if your boat does need that then have a wide box made or use two crates side by side. This will be more problematic if the boat is not yours of course.

Otherwise high heels - at least you can get away with those as you are a lady person.

I thought that not being able to see the bows and ahead of them was normal. When I changed from a forward drive cruiser to a NB I asked somebody how to judge the distance, the answer was " listen for the clang

I've yet to hear the clang, relying rather on squinting down the side when making my approach 

Phil 

Edited by Phil Ambrose

I have this same problem with our boat when sat at the helm. You just get used to it over time and learn to judge where the bank is in relation to where you are.

I also have the same problem in our cars. But again just learn to judge where the front is. 

Have not hit anything yet!

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I have this same problem with our boat when sat at the helm. You just get used to it over time and learn to judge where the bank is in relation to where you are.

I also have the same problem in our cars. But again just learn to judge where the front is. 

Have not hit anything yet!

You could sit on a small inflated innertube on the boat, folk with piles get along well with them. Or your spare tyre when in the car. :closedeyes:

Edited by bizzard