Etiquette!

Ashs85

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Has the OP been back and told us what was making the noise. Can't wait to find out?

Nope. 

Last time he visited was an hour and a bit after he posted the question.

He may have signed out and be reading as a guest but my guess is he posted to get it off his chest, then forgot all about it.

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nope. 

He may have signed out and be reading as a guest but my guess is he posted to get it off his chest, then forgot all about it.

that would be a shame. I was quite looking forward to finding out what it was all about. It wasnt me making a noise at 7am. Never get up till 9.

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nope. 

He must have taken my good advice.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

that would be a shame. I was quite looking forward to finding out what it was all about. It wasnt me making a noise at 7am. Never get up till 9.

Me too. 

It's not an unfamiliar pattern though. A newly registered poster asks a question then vanishes without trace. Then a week or a fortnight later they post again, expressing amazement at the length of the thread, and how they imagined they'd get two or three answers after a week or two, and have just returned to check.

On 21/12/2017 at 01:38, rasputin said:

Patience, it will pass 

OR.... the steerer of the noisy Bolinder boat troublyi8ng the OP is also reading the thread and has ceased and desisted!

I have experience of both types of engine: a large, slow revving Kelvin and a BMC 1.8.  The Kelvin had no silencer but, in my opinion,  was far less obstrusive than the BMC.  

The BMC is in a box, but the din was so loud that I've had to deaden it to a tolerable level by adding a lot of expensive sound insulation.  Before the addition of the sound insulation I was getting a reading of 82db; afterwards it quietened down to 53db.  (Yes, I know the app on my phone may not be that accurate, but it confirms that there has been a great improvement).

Now the Seffle was loud.  I used to wear ear defenders when going through tunnels.

5 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

I've just caught up with this thread.

FWIW I think it's a wind up.

Anyone else agree?

It looks that way. Especially given the OP claims to need to go to sleep earlyt and get up early yet is here posting at 1.34am in the morning. 

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It looks that way. Especially given the OP claims to need to go to sleep earlyt and get up early yet is here posting at 1.34am in the morning. 

To be fair he did say

On 21/12/2017 at 01:34, Ashs85 said:

As I say, I choose to live her for a reason, but I do work extremely long hours late into the morning.

On 23/12/2017 at 20:16, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nope. 

Or he didn't get the answer he was looking for.

On 12/25/2017 at 08:38, Naughty Cal said:

Or he didn't get the answer he was looking for.

Or perhaps he fell asleep reading them! - It's all relative. He'll get used to it.

How about the couple that lived next to the factory. Every morning for years the works hooter blasted out the start time at 6.00 am.

One day it failed to go off.

The chap leap't out of bed and shouted to his wife "..what was that !!...."

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

Or perhaps he fell asleep reading them! - It's all relative. He'll get used to it.

How about the couple that lived next to the factory. Every morning for years the works hooter blasted out the start time at 6.00 am.

One day it failed to go off.

The chap leap't out of bed and shouted to his wife "..what was that !!...."

When I worked offshore If the glycol pumps stopped during the night I would be awake before the alarm sounded

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

When I worked offshore If the glycol pumps stopped during the night I would be awake before the alarm sounded

When I was a kid we moved to a house that backed right on to the main London to Brighton railway line.  After a while, the only time I woke up was when the early morning trains didn't run.

8 hours ago, lockedout said:

When I was a kid we moved to a house that backed right on to the main London to Brighton railway line.  After a while, the only time I woke up was when the early morning trains didn't run.

When I used to travel up from Three Bridges to Victoria I often used to look at houses backing on to the line and wondered who lived in them. Now I’ve ‘met’ one ;)

9 hours ago, lockedout said:

Exactly this ^^^^^^^

Lived for a while so close to the line at Preston Park, Brighton that it felt like you could touch a train should it be delayed outside,

When no trains ran at Christmas it was like the world had suddenly ended.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

When no trains ran at Christmas it was like the world had suddenly ended.

I thought all trains stopped over xmas for the engineering works. Not quite the case here on the line going through Newbury to the west country next to the K&A though. About 11pm on the evening of xmas day a gravel train rumbled past at quite a lick. Rather creeped me out. Was it a ghost train?

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

Mike, it was a ballast train going into the Engineering Possession.
That line was one of the few that required signallers over the holiday, and was only open for engineering trains.

Insider knowledge is a fine thing!

Does the record also show whether the train was scheduled just to "creep" Mike out, and whether it was asked to open up to maximum diesel roar when passing his boat for maximum effect?