Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I don't want to prove it! As I said, I don't care whether science proves it or not. I just want warm feet and putting a fan on the stove means that I ( and my partner) think we have warm feet. Even if my brain is playing tricks on me at least I still have what seem to me to be warm feet.

All absolutely fine. with the one small correction. Many people are very happy with something they believe to be true, including -- just for example -- the many satisfied customers of homeopathy and Gwyneth Paltrow... 😉

Edited by IanD

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Did anyone suggest it did generate more heat. A smouldering taper will indicate the air movement

No - it was a statement that they are very inefficient that I was seeking to clarify. What I think was meant was that they only extract a proportion of the heat rather than they. in some sense, it is wasted. Two rather different assessments.

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

No - it was a statement that they are very inefficient that I was seeking to clarify. What I think was meant was that they only extract a proportion of the heat rather than they. in some sense, it is wasted. Two rather different assessments.

Actually all the energy -- including that turned into electricity and used to drive the fan -- ends up as heat, even the energy put into the moving air... 😉

This is a very confusing tread.

Looks like there is a tone of versions everyone can buy and how well they work depends on temperature of the stove and shape of space.

Can't everyone just agree that some fan's work great in some spaces and some fans are just trash and be done with it?

Unless it's just a friendly banter for when people are bored, in that case carry on, I will join you later with some wild untested ideas.

2 minutes ago, Landsil said:

Looks like there is a tone of versions everyone can buy and how well they work depends on temperature of the stove and shape of space.

Can't everyone just agree that some fan's work great in some spaces and some fans are just trash and be done with it?

Unless it's just a friendly banter for when people are bored, in that case carry on, I will join you later with some wild untested ideas.

No 😉

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's no wonder we've been having Met Office wind warnings recently then.

Three blades is getting into hurricane territory!

:D

My boat did start rocking back and forward and the heavens opened as soon as I got it out the box!

6 minutes ago, IanD said:

I've seen ones with two fans and all sorts on there! Think they're missing an important market by not offering Click and Collect though.

Glad I didn't get the six bladed one in retrospect because I have no idea how to pilot a helicopter

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Landsil said:

You are new here aren't you ............

Do a search on the forum for 'Eco fan' and you will get 34 pages with ~25 posts per page. Its an ongoing subject.

Now if you want to talk about something that is rarely dicussed, start a discussion on 'toilets - the best type' and ensure you have a section on 'composting toilets'

• Happy 1
  • Horror 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Now if you want to talk about something that is rarely dicussed, start a discussion on 'toilets - the best type' and ensure you have a section on 'composting toilets'

Hmm.... just wondering if I can combine my ecofan with a composting toilet to make an incinerating toilet?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Reduce the faffing and get one of those round stoves where the entire top hinges up for refuelling...

Just be aware that the consequences of sitting on it could be even worse than the traditional Xmas party one involving a photocopier...

1 hour ago, Landsil said:

Welcome to the forum 

It's just banter, although Ian does take it very seriously, he does so love to be right :)

if you want to see real bickering start a toilet thread 

Oh and no they don't work

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Welcome to the forum 

It's just banter, although Ian does take it very seriously, he does so love to be right :)

if you want to see real bickering start a toilet thread 

Oh and no they don't work

I don't care who is right, so long as misleading BS is called out for what it is before spreading and being forwarded as the gospel truth.

If the BS came from me and I'm shown to be wrong, I'll put my hands up to it -- it's a fair cop guv, you've got me bang to rights, don't put the darbies on I'll come quietly etc.

But more often than not it doesn't come from me... 😉

3 hours ago, IanD said:

Actually all the energy -- including that turned into electricity and used to drive the fan -- ends up as heat, even the energy put into the moving air... 😉

That's an interesting form of thermodynamics

Edited by Mike Todd

7 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

That's an interesting form of thermodynamics

Well, the motor and wiring will use some of the current to produce heat, as will friction in the bearings. The fan will move some air so the air will have kinetic energy that will eventually be dissipated by friction between air molecules as heat so I think  Ian is correct, but as you say an interesting idea.

• Greenie 1