Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Apparently the correct way isn't to take the sheep from behind. Stand in front of her and put fore hooves on shoulders, lift her up and drop rear hooves in wellies. That way you don't miss out on the snogging. I'm sure our authoritative resident Welshman can advise.

That plays hell with the tops of your feet

• Happy 1

On 21/11/2017 at 08:16, mross said:

Yes, but only six inches from the fan.  What happens further away?

On 21/11/2017 at 08:02, Sea Dog said:

Dunno whether it will convince many about the fan, but I reckon the wood they're burning could have done with being dried for a bit longer!

What perturbs me about this video is that there is no evidence of convective circulation above the stove.  I would have thought that with the temperatures required to get the fan going at that rate the stove would be pretty hot.  Perhaps they have the fan attached to an external power source.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2017 at 17:59, mrsmelly said:

All will soon be revealed. Dr Bob will be carrying out his research assisted by the DUCK early in the new year. The University of Oxford is going to publish the paper to assist the world.

The Duck has arrived, so its now time to start thinking about the ultimate test to prove how good Ecofans are. What therefore is the best way to prove it? Well, to be perfectly honest, the duck has not been very helpful and has not come up with any ideas. Duck all in fact.

I was thinking along the lines of tying some helium balloons to him and measuring the rate of acceleration and angle of trajectory away from the fan, but he is a bit big. That may be an understatement. Miss Rainwater said he was 'giant' but I never thought he would be this big! Also I am not sure what Tree Monkey had been feeding him but it must have been an excess of carbs (and beer) as he is unlikely to ever float anywhere. The helium balloons are therefore out. Not sure what to do with the helium now. Any suggestions would be welcome.

The second approach was to rig up a water filled bowl in front of the fan and measure the acceleration and terminal velocity as the Duck hit the side of the bowl. Again, Donald is too big to fit in the bowl. I may have to go and buy a bigger one (bowl not Duck.....). Maybe a kiddies paddling pool would be the solution. Anyone got one I could borrow? We'd then have a bath and a shower on board.

In the meantime, anyone with any good ideas should let me know now..........Consultation...that's what we need??????

Anyway, I am now in 'testing' mode and will try and post some initial findings tomorrow. Tune in tomorrow when you will hear Dr Bob say “ Well what sort of doctor do you think I am?…...Quaaack”.

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The Duck has arrived, so its now time to start thinking about the ultimate test to prove how good Ecofans are. What therefore is the best way to prove it? Well, to be perfectly honest, the duck has not been very helpful and has not come up with any ideas. Duck all in fact.

I was thinking along the lines of tying some helium balloons to him and measuring the rate of acceleration and angle of trajectory away from the fan, but he is a bit big. That may be an understatement. Miss Rainwater said he was 'giant' but I never thought he would be this big! Also I am not sure what Tree Monkey had been feeding him but it must have been an excess of carbs (and beer) as he is unlikely to ever float anywhere. The helium balloons are therefore out. Not sure what to do with the helium now. Any suggestions would be welcome.

The second approach was to rig up a water filled bowl in front of the fan and measure the acceleration and terminal velocity as the Duck hit the side of the bowl. Again, Donald is too big to fit in the bowl. I may have to go and buy a bigger one (bowl not Duck.....). Maybe a kiddies paddling pool would be the solution. Anyone got one I could borrow? We'd then have a bath and a shower on board.

In the meantime, anyone with any good ideas should let me know now..........Consultation...that's what we need??????

Anyway, I am now in 'testing' mode and will try and post some initial findings tomorrow. Tune in tomorrow when you will hear Dr Bob say “ Well what sort of doctor do you think I am?…...Quaaack”.

Is the DUCK hollow? If it is and it got hotter the air pressure inside it will rise and the plastic will expand so you could measure it before and after with say a tape measure? or fit some pressure measuring device providing its not done in a cruel manner. The problem could be if the massive heat generated by the fan expanded the duck until it exploded like a hand grenade going off and maimed you so I suggest placing the duck at least forty feet away from the fan to lesser potential danger. You could then work out precisely how much the air had expanded and therefore how much heat had been generated.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I think you need to look at it the other way round.

Start with a cold stove, with the eco fan on top. Feed Donald lots and lots of hot curry,preferably not duck curry, and definetly no rice or naan bread. Point Donald towards the eco fan (ducks arse first) and await for the fan to turn and stove to heat up.

Measure the increase in heat output from the stove, being careful to subtract the actual heat output generated from Donald.

• Happy 2

25 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Start with a cold stove, with the eco fan on top. Feed Donald lots and lots of hot curry,preferably not duck curry, and definetly no rice or naan bread. Point Donald towards the eco fan (ducks arse first) and await for the fan to turn and stove to heat up.

Measure the increase in heat output from the stove, being careful to subtract the actual heat output generated from Donald.

Absolute Genius!!

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Those lessons from Grandad Bizzards skool of crackpottery are finally paying dividends.

I am in awe,  I've always wanted to see real genius in action and as I trust Mr Smellys judgement all I can say is thank you.

The dictionary definition seems to be somewhat amiss but still if Mr S says so.....

Edited by tree monkey
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I am in awe,  I've always wanted to see real genius in action and as I trust Mr Smellys judgement all I can say is thank you.

The dictionary definition seems to be somewhat amiss but still if Mr S says so.....

Well, the proof of the pudding will be in the testing, although I am confident it will be in the top 10 of suggestions put forward to Dr Bob for his perusal.

I would request that if my theoretical model is adopted as a future known test procedure that it be know as Brownian motion (if that isn't already taken).

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, rusty69 said:

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Well, the proof of the pudding will be in the testing, although I am confident it will be in the top 10 of suggestions put forward to Dr Bob for his perusal.

I would request that if my theoretical model is adopted as a future known test procedure that it be know as Brownian motion (if that isn't already taken).

Well that was a bit of a disaster, Rusty. You are going to have to do better. There was me thinking it was a great idea. I immediately turned off the air vents and shut the fire down. 2 hours later it was stone cold. Mrs Bob put the curry on. A nice hot one using the powder we lost on won in Miss Rainwater's pointless (and misrepresented) raffle with Melon as the main ingredient (we saw that on the telly). We didn't have any sprouts. They were so good over Christmas that we ate them all. Anyway, I digress. Ducks dont like Melon but the curry sauce did the trick and Donald ate it all up like a good boy the duck he is. We then waited a while until it started to take effect. By this time it had got cold, …..bloody cold. Ms Bob was complaining. Her feet had gone blue. The Ecofan was not going round. I stood Donald on a stool next to the fan, but as Mrs Bob was shouting so much, Donald didn't want to face her and kept turning round to face the fan. Mrs Bobs legs were now going blue. The curry then started to have its effect. Ppppppht! The first one we were lucky with. The duck's arse was in the correct orientation and the fan stuttered from the shock and made a small rotation clockwise. We all cheered, except Mrs Bob whose language was now as blue as her hands and face. She was livid. It was -10°C and all to get this damn fan to spin. It wasn't enough though and what movement there was in the fan died in microseconds. The icicles from the roof were now 2-3ft long. Ppppppht! Again. This time though Donald had done a 180 and this cloud of brownish aerosol (google that to find exactly what blew towards us) drifted down the cabin. “Duck” I shouted. No one heard. Boy did it smell. Rigor mortice was setting in on Mrs Bob now, which was a concern but getting the Duck under control was my main aim. After quite an arm wrestle, I managed to tie Donald down in a way that he couldn't turn round again. Ppppppht! Off it went again. This time the aim was spot on and the fan did at least 2 full revolutions before settling to a halt. Enough cried Mrs Bob! Enough! I cant stands it no more (Blaster Bates like)! Reluctantly I had to agree as my feet were starting to turn blue as well and the icicles were almost down to the floor. We lit the fire. The fan started running and we all thawed out. The 2 revolutions of the fan initiated by Donald had not caused the peltier cell to raise the stove temp more than 0.0001°C as measured by my infra red meter (I didn't have my glasses on) so it is impossible to make an accurate estimate how many revolutions will be required to get a 200°C rise.

Trying to make more sense out of the above, I would think that to get that sort of temperature rise one would need at least 2-3000 rpm out of the fan for say 5 hrs which is likely to require almost 1,000 ducks. The main problem would then be how to make and feed them melon curry in the quantities and frequency that would be required. Logistically this is a no go. I guess this is not a good way to test the fan. Mrs Bob is still complaining. I'm not sure I am getting tea tonight.

Donald has been exiled to the toilet. Ducks never use pump out toilets. We're going to have a bad night. Did I say Mrs Bob was not happy?

I would agree to call your theoretical model and the defined test method as 'Brownian Motion', but it will not work as it was sh*t.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I would agree to call your theoretical model and the defined test method as 'Brownian Motion', but it will not work as it was sh*t.

My humble apologies to Mrs Dr Bob. You and Donald however deserve everything you get, listening to some bumbling fool on an internet forum.

43 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Well that was a bit of a disaster, Rusty. You are going to have to do better

You will have to get Grandpa Bizzard on-board. He's ya man. Caractacus Bizzard. He could design a fiendishly cunning experiment to enable you to test your  ecofan.

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Is this thread still going? Blow me!

Stand in front of an ecofan.

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Its your experiment Dr Bob, over to you.

It's mrsmelly's thread.

and it is still on topic.

............but tune in tomorrow when..........

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Haha 1

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Please please keep it on topic chaps we all know how we need to keep all threads on topic. Please give it the due respect it demands :rolleyes:

There he is again, that's im that started this , 30 pages now. Get i'm.....again.