Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

My Ecofan works superbly well for me, performing the function I use it for with aplomb. Nothing else has ever come close, other than the Stirling engine fan.

Even as I type I notice the blades quickening slightly, telling me my efforts 20 minutes earlier at saving the almost-out stove have been successful. 

41 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Don't worry, I am, it's banter. Except for the bit about ecofans actually working. 

However if my experience shows it works and yours shows it doesn't, what else is there but the actual facts, determined by science.

Ecofans Rotate ,not sure that they actually Work though!:)

And why are they called EEKofans?there are encouraged to Rotate by Burning Fossil Fuel(usually).

Edited by cereal tiller

On 09/12/2017 at 13:26, Mike the Boilerman said:

this stratification effect becomes remarkably severe. I can have 35C at my ceiling and 15C on the floor. The Ecofan disrupts this effect to a degree by stirring up the hot air rising from the stove.

Point of order.....15 deg C at the floor and 27 deg C is a gradient, not stratification.  I experienced the same range on my boat but it needed a mains-powered tower fan to move it and the effect was remarkably limited.   

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Even as I type I notice the blades quickening slightly, telling me my efforts 20 minutes earlier at saving the almost-out stove have been successful. 

Yes but the increase in speed of your fan produces negligibly more draught than the negligible amount it produced before.

The bulk of the tiny amount of energy produced is wasted in moving the fan and making the noise...effects which convince you it's moving air.

Of course...owing to the Butterfly Effect, your Ecofan could be responsible for the next major tsunami across the other side of the World...How do you sleep at night?

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, carlt said:

One thing that did surprise me though was that I found very little effect from the computer fan fixed to the ceiling above the stove which I expected to outperform the Ecofan.

Same here, put your hand in front and you could feel the draught it that is the right technical word for it, but very little heat movement

5 minutes ago, carlt said:

Yes but the increase in speed of your fan produces negligibly more draught than the negligible amount it produced before.

The bulk of the tiny amount of energy produced is wasted in moving the fan and making the noise...effects which convince you it's moving air.

Of course...owing to the Butterfly Effect, your Ecofan could be responsible for the next major tsunami across the other side of the World...How do you sleep at night?

You can't do a green for just the last line can you

On 11/12/2017 at 09:57, carlt said:

I've never said I find the draught useful. I use it as an audio-stove-condition-indicator. As do several other boaters I know. It performs this function admirably.

A concept the Ecofan Sceptics seem unable or unwilling to grasp.

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I suspect we will be grateful for the ecofans when finally all those wind gennys have sucked all the natural wind dry

We could use Solar Power to Spin the Wind Turbines and use the Moving Air to reduce the effects of Globule Warming?

Oh yes ,and Lob the EEEkofans in the Sea to prevent Tsunamis

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My Sterling IS useful for telling me the state of the fire, so I can agree on that benefit.  But a stove thermometer does the same and is much cheaper.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

No I grasp and understand that concept entirely and is a useful aid if you can stand the noise.

I would say that despite having several antique clocks dotted around the house none are ever wound as I cannot bear the ticking.

On 11/12/2017 at 10:38, mross said:

My Sterling IS useful for telling me the state of the fire, so I can agree on that benefit.  But a stove thermometer does the same and is much cheaper.

You know of a stove thermometer that audio-broadcasts the stove temperature continuously and costs less than £40?

On 11/12/2017 at 10:41, mross said:

I  have eyes.

You can read a stove thermometer at 25ft? Your eyes are better than mine :)

I prefer to just listen to the stove fan than have to find my reading glasses, go to the stove and peer at a little needle on a dial.  

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Oh yes ,and Lob the EEEkofans in the Sea to prevent Tsunamis

When the designs for the Cardiff Bay tide barrier were done, using 40,000 inverted Aldi ecofans would have reduced the projects costs by about £3.24B and still produce enough power for the the Cardiff Arms Park electronic flush toilets during the whole first half of the England Wales Six Nations match

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, mross said:

you have to get off your arse to read a stove thermometer, I can see my ecofan from the bedroom

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You know of a stove thermometer that audio-broadcasts the stove temperature continuously and costs less than £40?

If the kettle started whistling I knew it was time to run around the boat waving the flat iron in the air to distribute the heat and cool the iron.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh, I grasp that completely and agree with you wholeheartedly on that point. 

I find it humorous that Jim still thinks that the 1W the device generates is what stops his kettle from boiling though :D

On 11/12/2017 at 13:27, WotEver said:

Oh, I grasp that completely and agree with you wholeheartedly on that point. 

I find it humorous that Jim still thinks that the 1W the device generates is what stops his kettle from boiling though :D

I agree. The effect he describes defies scientific explanation at first sight. 

I suspect it is the light draft the fan produces that changes the kettle from 'just about boiling' to 'just about not boiling'.