Diesels to be banned

dor

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

In around 20 years I see car ownership declining.  Youngsters these days are not that bothered about driving and the self driving hire car will be just a app a away.

Not sure where you got that idea from. every young peson I know over the age of 18 has a car, the main deterrent for them is high insurance premiums. However, what they are much better at than our generation is not drinking and driving.

12 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Not sure where you got that idea from. every young peson I know over the age of 18 has a car, the main deterrent for them is high insurance premiums. However, what they are much better at than our generation is not drinking and driving.

Heard it somewhere, not sure where.  

48 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

Not sure if it's been said already but regarding moving goods, in 30 years time we probably won't move very much by road/rail other than food and clothing.  3D printers will be commonplace and pretty much all media will be digitally transmitted.

That won't really matter very much seeing that the biggest exemption from this ban will be HGVs!

George

2 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

That won't really matter very much seeing that the biggest exemption from this ban will be HGVs!

George

Wouldn't be surprised if busses were exempt too

3 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Heard it somewhere, not sure where.  

As I understand it a recent report in the US suggested "millennials" (whatever they are) aren't interested in owning cars.

Incidentally 50% of the young people I know don't own a car.

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

It was the Star Trek flip communicator thingy I as thinking of.

Which was the genesis of the Motorola Flip Phone which was very popular for, oh, several months ;)

20 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It has been said by those 'supposedly in the know' that the next world war will not be fought over religion, or land, or oil but will be over 'water'.

There is no more water on the planet than there was millions of years ago but now many millions more of us are demanding clean drinking water.

It is crazy that we use 'potable water' to wash our clothes and flush our toilets, there should be a dual-system with rain water 'catching' as a priority for secondary uses.

The time is close when we will need to have our own water purification (proper purification down to 0.1 micron, not the 'water filter jugs' that are in use today)

A 0.1 micron filter , removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as Salmonells, Cholera and E-Coli, it also removes 99.9999 of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium.

The one I have is 'good for' up to 100,000 gallons (almost 500,000 litres) and only weighs 2oz.

Add a carbon filter on the output side and it also gets rid of all Chlorine and heavy metals from the water and improve the 'taste' to better than 'tap water'.

The technology is there but we don't want to use it.

But won't reliably get rid of viruses or certain chemical pollutants.

On 27/07/2017 at 10:21, Dave_P said:

But won't reliably get rid of viruses or certain chemical pollutants.

I thought that too. Not all pollutants are particulate. Some actually dissolve in water so no mechanical filter will remove then no matter how fine.

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And hybrid cars like the Toyota Prius, which run on 100% petrol anyway.

Apparently very popular as private hire cars in London when secondhand.

The battery is knackered so they run 100% on petrol but, because no one checks, they still get the LEZ exemption.

George

15 hours ago, WotEver said:

23 years ago we had no CDs, yes we did VHS was the 'in thing', laser discs were the in thing TVs were much, much deeper than they were wide, not always we only had 5 TV channels, sky launched in 1989 no mobile phones, mobiles were common in 1994 Google was just a number, I'll give you that one email was unheard of, I was regularly sending emails in 1994 Eva Herzigova was advertising the Wonder Bra, and Wet Wet Wet's 'Love Is All Around' was number 1 in the charts. 

Did you mean 33 years ago?

35 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I thought that too. Not all pollutants are particulate. Some actually dissolve in water so no mechanical filter will remove then no matter how fine.

Exactly.  It's still a risk.  I have a water filter system for when I'm hiking.  But I still use tap water when I can.

And what about the size of many family vehicles these days, getting bigger and bigger, especially wider. Monster SUV's, oversize Mercs, Audi's ect lumbering around. The roads and lanes are clogged with em, mostly with one little person in them driving that can't judge the width and trying to look important I suppose. I was behind an Audi A6 yesterday on the way to Harlow, the horrid brute was as wide as a bus, kept holding us up because it had to keep stopping to pass parked cars and buses at bus stops whilst traffic was passed in the opposite direction where most sensibly sized cars could pass them quite easily. Even a Ford Fiesta is as wide as an old Ford Sierra was.  Car parking slots at supermarkets ect are not wide enough anymore.  Other motorists seem dead scared of my Hummer coming at them on a country lane.    Peugeot Bippers are nice. :)

From the DT:

Plans to end the sale of all diesel and petrol cars by 2040 started to unravel today as it emerged 10,000 wind turbines or 10 nuclear power stations would need to be built to power their electric replacements.

National Grid, which manages the UK’s power supply, said in a report that peak demand for electricity could increase by 50 per cent if and when the nation switches to electric vehicles.

Michael Gove, the Environment Secretary who formally announced his plan to ban the sale of cars with internal combustion engines, hinted that wind farms or nuclear power stations are the only clean energy sources that the Government will consider to bridge the looming energy gap.

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Not my experience at all.  Every young person???  I know plenty of 20somethings and well under half of them drive.  The costs have become prohibitive.  Living in the city makes a difference too as a car isn't really needed and seem to have less of a status cache than it did for previous generations.  I've considered getting rid of the car and know of at least one family who got rid of theirs and now hires a car on the rare occasions they actually need one. 

Uber has also made a difference as it's brought taxi convenience to something similar to cars and is so cheap that, unless you're travelling alone, it's often cheaper than getting the bus.

This months 'Boat Owner' magazine :

Bullet points as I'm not typing out the whole article.

Super B's latest lithium battery, the Epsilon, makes looking for fixed charging points a thing of the past.

The Epsilon SB12v 1200w/h is a drop in lead acid replacement. It weighs 12.5 kgs. Can be fully charged in 1 hour and has a life of 5000 cycles.

Features internal battery management.,

Priced at £1,499 each

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

This months 'Boat Owner' magazine :

Bullet points as I'm not typing out the whole article.

Super B's latest lithium battery, the Epsilon, makes looking for fixed charging points a thing of the past.

The Epsilon SB12v 1200w/h is a drop in lead acid replacement. It weighs 12.5 kgs. Can be fully charged in 1 hour and has a life of 5000 cycles.

Features internal battery management.,

Priced at £1,499 each

Sounds great.  Now if they can just shift that decimal point along...

2 hours ago, KevMc said:

Wouldn't be surprised if busses were exempt too

Sheffield have a fleet of hybrid buses. 

There is no reason why they can't be rolled out nationwide as and when bus fleets get upgraded/replaced.

2 hours ago, furnessvale said:

The battery is knackered so they run 100% on petrol but, because no one checks, they still get the LEZ exemption.

George

Whilst in Fort William and Banavie we saw a couple of all electric taxi's. One was a renault Zoe and other was the Nissan Leaf. :blink:

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Sheffield have a fleet of hybrid buses. 

There is no reason why they can't be rolled out nationwide 

If their hybrid engines are so efficient, surely they will travel under their own power without needing to be rolled?

2 hours ago, furnessvale said:

George

Aren't petrol engines LEZ compliant anyway?  Do you mean congestion zone exemption?