simple (??) inverter question

wobbly ollie

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Choosing to ignore your batteries and just replace them every six or twelve months is a perfectly valid strategy.

Just be aware this is the route you are choosing by default.

Several of us here are equally confident it won't, from the sketchy details you have given so far. 

Edit to delete some extraneous worms.

You are so right but in all honesty the amount of diesel every day I use charging mine and the wear on my engine its probably more expensive than charging only twice a week and replacing batteries twice a year.

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

The logic from that is that we are best advised not to bother to try to advise and answer questions that appear dumb because they questioner will not take any advice offered.

I don't think I have seen a single occasion when a question was not first answered reasonably, even if it had been asked thousands of times before. What does happen is that when the questioner seem to be trying to ignore the advice or say its wrong things get a bit blunt.

In this case I think the OP got very good advice that was confirmed by several contributors. The he decided to tell those who tried to help him  where to get off and imply that his expensive equipment was fine and by implication we were  wrong. He also as good as said "thanks for the advice but I cant be bothered to take it or put any effort in myself."  That's the bit I take exception to, on a forum or face to face it just plain rude.

This happens on the forum nearly daily when we get prospective liveaboards asking many questions re the life/costs involved etc etc andt hey only choose to actualy believe the bits they want to believe and go ahead and do the opposite to what they have been told anyway.

26 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This happens on the forum nearly daily when we get prospective liveaboards asking many questions re the life/costs involved etc etc andt hey only choose to actualy believe the bits they want to believe and go ahead and do the opposite to what they have been told anyway.

I know and I think that although its aggravating by and large we accept it and try to help. I trust we will continue to do so.

It was the tone of the OPs last post that got me. If he trusted his expensive system why did he need to ask on here originally (rhetorical question). It is clear that something is/was wrong with both his understanding and expensive system and having taken the advice he gave those who contributed a "foxtrot oscar". I feel that is rather different to going quiet and ignoring the advice.

Its going to take me a long time to forget the "lady" who was an exemplar of what you are talking about.

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I know and I think that although its aggravating by and large we accept it and try to help. I trust we will continue to do so.

It was the tone of the OPs last post that got me. If he trusted his expensive system why did he need to ask on here originally (rhetorical question). It is clear that something is/was wrong with both his understanding and expensive system and having taken the advice he gave those who contributed a "foxtrot oscar". I feel that is rather different to going quiet and ignoring the advice.

Its going to take me a long time to forget the "lady" who was an exemplar of what you are talking about.

However, for every "Richard Head", there are many more who read the sound advice given by yourself and others and learn something from it.

This is my first posting on the forum. I have read a large amount of advice on here and gained an insight into problems that may or will occur on my travels around the system. Unfortunately I am in the position electrically of being a numskull. So some of the advice goes over the top of my head not entering my feeble brain.

The point of this posting is to ask well meaning contributors who have a wealth of knowledge not to overdue the technical aspect of the problem. If the OP is like me he does not access the site when on the cut so replies may be later than would be helpful to those answering the question.  If the OP decides not to take the advice, its his choice and his money so should not be castigated. 

Regards Johnh

2 hours ago, PaulG said:

However, for every "Richard Head", there are many more who read the sound advice given by yourself and others and learn something from it.

Richard Cranium............if you please sir!!

48 minutes ago, John Hartley said:

This is my first posting on the forum. I have read a large amount of advice on here and gained an insight into problems that may or will occur on my travels around the system. Unfortunately I am in the position electrically of being a numskull. So some of the advice goes over the top of my head not entering my feeble brain.

The point of this posting is to ask well meaning contributors who have a wealth of knowledge not to overdue the technical aspect of the problem. If the OP is like me he does not access the site when on the cut so replies may be later than would be helpful to those answering the question.  If the OP decides not to take the advice, its his choice and his money so should not be castigated. 

Regards Johnh

Whats the point of asking for advice and then not taking it? bloomin pointless realy isnt it?

Its a difficult one for sure. By asking a question you will likely get a lot of knowledgeable replies, and some not so. It takes time on the forum to assess whos advice is worth taking,and what options which you may not have considered you think best suits your needs. 

As an example, on my "gonna be sinking soon thread " I had a lot of opinions, some of which I hadn't even considered. The one bit of advice, which im sure was from a very experienced boater, and I'm sure it is good advice, but I have decided not to follow it, simply cos im not brave enough. 

I may live to regret it, but the advice is there should I change my mind. 

3 hours ago, John Hartley said:

Regards Johnh

The problem is that in some cases the advice has to be technical because the subject is technical and sometimes more detailed than it need be because the poster did not provide all the information needs to narrow down the problem. As a non-technical example I refer you to the "mooring" post by Von in New to Boating. They also asked the question on the magazine website but neglected to make it clear they were talking about a canal. This meant I had to reply with a screed about riparian owners on rivers as well as CaRT demands. maybe I should have added a bit to cover the Bridgewater as well.

I do not think anyone has castigated him for not talking advice. I explained pointed out to him he probably did not understand and was talking nonsense. He was then rude in my book. I trust if you get replies that you do not understand you will come back and ask for clarification and explanation.

I fear that you still need to grasp that technical subjects demand technical explanations. If a poster does not understand it and keeps quiet its fine. If they do not understand it and comes back and asks more detailed questions that's fine as well, possibly better than fine because they are trying to learn and understand. If a poster chooses to ignore advice and keeps quiet about it then again fine but asking for ans getting advice and then telling those trying to help him that he is ignoring them because he can not be bothered to do a bit of work AND he has spent a lot of money on a system is not fine as far as I am concerned.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The problem is that in some cases the advice has to be technical because the subject is technical and sometimes more detailed than it need be because the poster did not provide all the information needs to narrow down the problem. As a non-technical example I refer you to the "mooring" post by Von in New to Boating. They also asked the question on the magazine website but neglected to make it clear they were talking about a canal. This meant I had to reply with a screed about riparian owners on rivers as well as CaRT demands. maybe I should have added a bit to cover the Bridgewater as well.

I do not think anyone has castigated him for not talking advice. I explained pointed out to him he probably did not understand and was talking nonsense. He was then rude in my book. I trust if you get replies that you do not understand you will come back and ask for clarification and explanation.

I fear that you still need to grasp that technical subjects demand technical explanations. If a poster does not understand it and keeps quiet its fine. If they do not understand it and comes back and asks more detailed questions that's fine as well, possibly better than fine because they are trying to learn and understand. If a poster chooses to ignore advice and keeps quiet about it then again fine but asking for ans getting advice and then telling those trying to help him that he is ignoring them because he can not be bothered to do a bit of work AND he has spent a lot of money on a system is not fine as far as I am concerned.

All valid points but some complained he had not responded and starting making assumptions on his lack of understanding or lengths of investigation wether true or not, this can get peoples backs up after all we think different and react different. I will tho say the op saying i dont have time for power audits etc is a bit naive at best as this is the first thing you do when looking to improve your onboard electricity as this gives you your base line.......silly thing to ignore but probably said as a snipe in return.

Any well respected nb sparky should also state this audit is the best place to start.

Edited by Matt&Jo

5 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

the first thing you do when looking to improve your onboard electricity as this gives you your base line

Unless you plan to have financial 'problems' you don't go on a spending spree without knowing how much you have in the bank - similarly with electrickery - you cannot 'spend' it unless it is in the 'bank'.

If you go electrickery 'overdrawn' than you have to pay 'overdraft fees' to the tune of new batteries.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Unless you plan to have financial 'problems' you don't go on a spending spree without knowing how much you have in the bank - similarly with electrickery - you cannot 'spend' it unless it is in the 'bank'.

If you go electrickery 'overdrawn' than you have to pay 'overdraft fees' to the tune of new batteries.

Nicely put alan!!!!! Wot he said!!!!

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Excellent response :)

I think that some people are not used to constructive criticism, and take it badly when they don't get answers in line with their expecitations. 

Also some people find it hard to tell others they don't know how to do, for example a power audit, and rather than ask, say they can't be bothered.

Problem is, unless you ask question, even apparently stupid ones, you cannot improve your knowledge or understanding.

As someone else once said to me at the dawn of my career, learn not only from your own mistakes but also from the mistakes of others.

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Excellent response :)

I think that some people are not used to constructive criticism, and take it badly when they don't get answers in line with their expecitations. 

Also some people find it hard to tell others they don't know how to do, for example a power audit, and rather than ask, say they can't be bothered.

Problem is, unless you ask question, even apparently stupid ones, you cannot improve your knowledge or understanding.

As someone else once said to me at the dawn of my career, learn not only from your own mistakes but also from the mistakes of others.

If you don't know no question is stupid 

32 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you don't know no question is stupid 

I agree but over the years it has become apparent to me that especially on forums new users fear it might be construed as a stupid question. Then when they of necessity get asked more questions or get an answer that is either convoluted because of lack of information (If this then that but if this  its another) or is technical of necessity they think it was a stupid question - especially when the wags amongst us start making jokes. The I suspect they feel embarrassed and do not ask or provide clarification. I have no idea how to get over this.

Let us not overlook that Mr Olly already felt he knew his original problem was the inverter, not the batteries. 

1) The inverter was making the noise, not the batteries

2) He had previously paid 'a lot of money' to have his batteries and charging 'sorted out'. 

Therefore it MUST be a faulty inverter and nothing to do with the batteries. So straight away we were giving him all the wrong answers. 

Just now, mross said:

He seemed receptive in November '16 when he started posting.

I was reading his 'stove' thread where he promised to come back with the results of the discussions, but didn't. The outcome is unresolved. 

He is non-conformist, and should be sent for rehabilitation, before being allowed back on the forum:) 

I must answer ALL questions and report outcome 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

He is non-conformist, and should be sent for rehabilitation, before being allowed back on the forum:) 

Yes. 

Hanging is too good for those who fail to follow The Unwritten Rules. 

I haven't really participated much in this thread, but I have to say that I side with the OP and some of the those critical of the "experts". The guy asked a simple question to which adequate answers were given. But then a whole lot of answers were given to questions not asked, some of them fairly sharp, yes we all get frustrated by the repetiveness of battery questions and the seeming naivety of some of the questioners, but trying to force-feed advice such as on this thread, isn't helpful!

• Greenie 2