Electric oven (2.6kw)

Mohsen

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Blimey is it any wonder that a recurring theme with this forum is that new members feel they are treated like naughty children, and tend not to return. Shame on you lot.

Anyway, to the OP there is no harm in having a "dual fuel" oven. A standard 16A shore bollard is about 3.5 kw so it will power the oven provided there isn't much else on. I woudnt try to power it from batteries but if you have a modern engine with a decent alternator(s) then, with the engine running well above idle, it may well go a good way to powering the oven, the remainder coming from the batteries which will then have to be recharged. But I would regard running the oven when not on shore power a last resort e.g. when you've run out of gas.

When you are demanding a large output from an alternator it is best to run the engine fast so that the alternator's cooling fan is running fast - they do get very hot when under heavy load.

Take no notice of the pleased with themselves luddites, they are still using candles - for cooking as well as lighting!

A sensible reply!

1 hour ago, DaveandDebby said:

We have an electric fan oven and I have to treat it in a similar way - use the temperature recommended for a normal oven and cook for a few minutes longer.

Ours is the opposite. Recipes usually call for a fan oven to be 20 degrees lower than conventional but we have to go 30 degrees lower for the same cooking time. Just goes to show how inaccurate oven stats are I guess. 

I'd think we'd find many chefs and professional cooks, as well as many home/boat cooks, who would prefer gas to electric ovens for the way they cook. The problem we face is that most boat ovens put form before function. We have the common Thetford - only the top shelf is an oven, the bottom is little more than a plate warmer. The thing has diminutive sizing which makes it very difficult to replace without major refit work even if you can find a domestic one that meets the BSS fsd requirements and has battery or 12V ignition.

To my mind, a good gas oven (properly installed) is the best answer in a boat, but if you can't find one... 

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Blimey is it any wonder that a recurring theme with this forum is that new members feel they are treated like naughty children, and tend not to return.

I don't think that's true: a number of established members make a point of welcoming and encouraging new members. But, as the O.P. is far from being a new member, it's not really relevant here.

19 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Sounds like traditional wisedom but further explanation would be appreciated. 

All the ovens I've looked at have FSD's.

the reason I'm looking at an oven with an auxiliary electric oven is because I haven't used a good gas oven and it would be nice to have an electric oven if plugged into shoreline or if the engine is running.

re: size of alternator, id have to check - what would be sufficient?

Hi

As others have said a huge alternator would be required if not on hook up. Thing is the oven is usualy the bit of the cooker used for the longest time period such as two hours to roast a joint etc. If on hook up its ok at other times not realy feasable which is why 99 percent of boaters use gas as its quick efficient and comparatively cheap if you take into account producing lectricity. Hobby boaters may disagree.

Edited by mrsmelly

58 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi

As others have said a huge alternator would be required if not on hook up. Thing is the oven is usualy the bit of the cooker used for the longest time period such as two hours to roast a joint etc. If on hook up its ok at other times not realy feasable which is why 99 percent of boaters use gas as its quick efficient and comparatively cheap if you take into account producing lectricity. Hobby boaters may disagree.

Thinking about it, once the oven is up to temperature the average power consumption is probably about 800W so a big solar array(say 500W) would cover the oven with 2 or 3 hours of sunshine in the brighter months.  Or you could have a big concave mirror and focus the sun into the oven cavity, great for kebab cooking.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Chewbacka said:

Thinking about it, once the oven is up to temperature the average power consumption is probably about 800W so a big solar array(say 500W) would cover the oven with 2 or 3 hours of sunshine in the brighter months.  Or you could have a big concave mirror and focus the sun into the oven cavity, great for kebab cooking.

I still prefer buying carry out food during the summer it saves washing up and cooking time. In the winter we simply put food on a plate 18 feet from the squirrel stove and the eco fan blast heat cooks it in 2/3 minutes such is their efficiency.

13 hours ago, Dave_P said:

Chubby - we were all newbies once. There's nothing wrong with asking questions like this. That's how we learn!!!

The reality is that running an electric oven on a boat would be fine on hook-up but tricky while cruising. Personally I wouldn't consider it. You'd need a large battery bank and huge alternator, and have the engine running throughout the cooking process. You'd still be stressing your batteries considerably though. 

Alternatively you could get a big 3kw+ generator. With the noise, time limitations and running costs associated.

12 hours ago, Robbo said:

I'm also planning these "mod" cons, I still don't see an issue in powering them.  It can be done easily.

We are gas free. We cook electric and dishwash and clotheswash. We have a 6 kava generator built in. It's  our choice, it's worked well for us for 10 years.

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Therein lies the difference. 

Yes and of course it can be done as we all know but at great additional cost over standard Gas cooking ( very very very very safe and controlable and cheap gas cooking )

Most things on boats are done for a reason after years of useage which is why as many as 99 percent of boats do not cook with electric or have composting bogs to name but two of the tiny minority fittings on boats. 

1 hour ago, pearley said:

We are gas free. We cook electric and dishwash and clotheswash. We have a 6 kava generator built in. It's  our choice, it's worked well for us for 10 years.

I don't think you've quite picked up this boating life yet, unless you cook by a solid fuel stove, wash thy clothes in the river and get ya hands touching the fair liquid ya not a true boater. Next you be saying you have a pump out!

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I still prefer buying carry out food during the summer it saves washing up and cooking time. In the winter we simply put food on a plate 18 feet from the squirrel stove and the eco fan blast heat cooks it in 2/3 minutes such is their efficiency.

Wouldn't putting it directly on top of the stove, perhaps on a baking sheet, work better?

8 hours ago, Athy said:

Wouldn't putting it directly on top of the stove, perhaps on a baking sheet, work better?

No not at all. You dont seem to appreciate the unbridled power of an " Eco " fan. The fan quadruples the heat output from the stove enabling blast furnace temperatures to cook with against the mere stove output. The Eco fan has been tested alongside commercial microwaves and found to be quicker at cooking.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

No not at all. You dont seem to appreciate the unbridled power of an " Eco " fan. The fan quadruples the heat output from the stove enabling blast furnace temperatures to cook with against the mere stove output. The Eco fan has been tested alongside commercial microwaves and found to be quicker at cooking.

I think you may be pulling our legs. Surely if it is so powerful it would set the boat on fire.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

I think you may be pulling our legs. Surely if it is so powerful it would set the boat on fire.

The BSS has a section that eco fan owners have to comply with. All boats have to have extensive coverage of fire retardent material that is zero rated. The only exception are continuous moorers who dont move their boats amongst other boats and therefor do not  present a hazard to other waterway users unless anglers sit too close.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Having no experience of eco-fans, I know nothing of their workings, but it's obvious that they've done something to upset you.

They make as much sense as a Composting bog ;)

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Leave the front and back cabin doors open and a suitably directed ecofan can propel a boat at a considerable clip without needing the engine. The biggest problem is not exceeding the 4mph speed limit. You need a communication system from the steerer to the person in charge of the ecofan, pointing it forward, or aft as appropriate for reverse and forward gear. Experienced ecofan users have very long morso cables to the stove for single handed boating

Jen

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Leave the front and back cabin doors open and a suitably directed ecofan can propel a boat at a considerable clip without needing the engine. The biggest problem is not exceeding the 4mph speed limit. You need a communication system from the steerer to the person in charge of the ecofan, pointing it forward, or aft as appropriate for reverse and forward gear. Experienced ecofan users have very long morso cables to the stove for single handed boating

Jen

I hadnt thought of that, must give it a try.

Yes, but it is not all positives. I find the strain on my mooring ropes caused by running the ecofan when moored wears them out prematurely. I even out the wear by turning the fan to point to the bow and then to the stern from time to time. I obviously can't turn it sideways as this would risk blowing the windows out.

• Greenie 2

40 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Yes, but it is not all positives. I find the strain on my mooring ropes caused by running the ecofan when moored wears them out prematurely. I even out the wear by turning the fan to point to the bow and then to the stern from time to time. I obviously can't turn it sideways as this would risk blowing the windows out.

You realise what this means. A sideways ecofan on a front mounted stove is a bow thruster! Windows open of course.

Jen (who has an ecofan)

5 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You realise what this means. A sideways ecofan on a front mounted stove is a bow thruster! Windows open of course.

Jen (who has an ecofan)

So you are the one that bought one then :lol:

I actually mounted two ecofans opposite each other in portholes near the bow, not very effective until I joined them up with some ducting, the transformation was unbelievable believe it or not. Massive lateral g forces, so much so that t'missus and mesen developed thick necks, that together with injured heads from bumping into the ducting forced us to abandon the setup. Shame really. 

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

11 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

They make as much sense as a Composting bog ;)

I'm  surprised no one has combined the two. The ecofan could be used to simply incinerate the human waste. Run a coli to the calorifier and it could heat your hot water at the same time.  :D

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

I'm  surprised no one has combined the two. The ecofan could be used to simply incinerate the human waste. Run a coli to the calorifier and it could heat your hot water at the same time.  :D

Absolute Genius.......you better patent it quick.