Tail current

Leon 12

Featured Posts

What I should have made clear is we have ran a 100 amp welder on it then it kicked out at 101 amp.

Now Alan my dear old chum, who in the 21st century uses words like intransigence...are you Steven Frys brother.

18 minutes ago, Leon 12 said:

What I should have made clear is we have ran a 100 amp welder on it then it kicked out at 101 amp.

Now Alan my dear old chum, who in the 21st century uses words like intransigence...are you Steven Frys brother.

But that is not the same as the generator outputting 100 amps is it ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

53 minutes ago, Leon 12 said:

I sometimes use words like that.  Problem??????

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In which case I wonder why he didn't say what he meant ?

Probably because not everybody is an expert in the way these things work. If someone sees a generator outputting 240v and, at the other end of the chain, 100A is being put into the batteries, in the absence of expert knowledge, it isn't necessarily wrong to say what you see, and to mean it.

What it seems is that some of you on this forum sit in your boats with very little else to do, then patronise other people with comments like...... 1.275 it should be in the style of yoda..... Oh the decimal point is in the wrong place. Why this newbie knows nothing ....what what!!!!

Deffo a clique here.

example, a 1,600 watt Honda eu2000i, the different available battery chargers can output a maximum of:

• 1,600 watt * 0.6 PF * 0.80 Efficient charger * 1/14.5 volts = 53 amps maximum @ 12 volts
  • 1,600 watt * 1.0 PF * 0.80 Efficient charger * 1/14.5 volts = 88 amps maximum @ 12 volts
  • 1,600 watt * 1.0 PF * 0.90 Efficient charger * 1/14.5 volts = 99 amps maximum @ 12 volts

10 minutes ago, Leon 12 said:

What it seems is that some of you on this forum sit in your boats with very little else to do, then patronise other people with comments like...... 1.275 it should be in the style of yoda..... Oh the decimal point is in the wrong place. Why this newbie knows nothing ....what what!!!!

Deffo a clique here.

Oh dear. You'll be banging on about amps per hour next, and claiming everyone knows what you really mean.

7 hours ago, Leon 12 said:

Deffo a clique here.

Once again your example depends on context and the ability of the poster to ensure their text is properly understandable.

If the text was on about the battery's state of charge then 1.275 could be a valid hydrometer reading unless the text clearly showed it to be volts (I not you have not specified a unit). 1.275 volts in a general text about boat electrics could be a valid volt drop reading, a charging voltage or the poster has put the decimal point in the wrong place as you suggest. How are readers supposed to know which?

Its hard enough trying to help people remotely but even harder when they write something that is not clear and then you get picked up for asking for clarification.

8 hours ago, Leon 12 said:

example, a 1,600 watt Honda eu2000i, the different available battery chargers can output a maximum of:

• 1,600 watt * 0.6 PF * 0.80 Efficient charger * 1/14.5 volts = 53 amps maximum @ 12 volts
  • 1,600 watt * 1.0 PF * 0.80 Efficient charger * 1/14.5 volts = 88 amps maximum @ 12 volts
  • 1,600 watt * 1.0 PF * 0.90 Efficient charger * 1/14.5 volts = 99 amps maximum @ 12 volts

By George I think he is starting to 'get it'.

No mention of 100a @ 240v now, but then neither is their an apology for the misleading (incorrect) post, or the relevance of running an electric welder from the generator.

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

By George I think he is starting to 'get it'.

No mention of 100a @ 240v now, but then neither is their an apology for the misleading (incorrect) post, or the relevance of running an electric welder from the generator.

It appears that our Leon is fond of copy/paste from various websites without (it appears) necessarily fully understanding the meaning of what he is pasting. We had a previous very long copy/paste a week or two back from an American site which explained the fundamentals of battery charging which was followed by some posts which suggested that the information wasn't actually understood. 

Likewise with the above post about chargers; is power factor actually understood?

2 minutes ago, Leon 12 said:

I do apologise for not typing the correct information to you all

The point is that you didn't type it. You copy/pasted it from somewhere without understanding it. 

We'll happily help anyone who wants to understand but can do little for someone who sticks their fingers in their ears and shouts "la, la, la..,."

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

We'll happily help anyone who wants to understand but can do little for someone who sticks their fingers in their ears and shouts "la, la, la..,."

Particularly as the winner was actually "Moonlight"!

Is it my imagination or are we getting an increasing number of new members who can't write clearly, get sulky when asked for clarification or when it's pointed out that their assumptions are wrong? I blame the lefty sandal-wearing educational policies where at school, everyone is a winner, there are no losers, and you are not allowed to tell someone that they're wrong because they have a human right to express themselves.

So in other words, it must be Athy's fault.

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Is it my imagination or are we getting an increasing number of new members who can't write clearly, get sulky when asked for clarification or when it's pointed out that their assumptions are wrong? I blame the lefty sandal-wearing educational policies where at school, everyone is a winner, there are no losers, and you are not allowed to tell someone that they're wrong because they have a human right to express themselves.

By Jove, you're finally 'getting it' ;)

1 hour ago, mross said:

1600VA at a power factor of 0.8 would make sense.  1600W at any non-zero PF is still 1600W

Good point. 

Long ago here I was picked up/criticised as pedantic for drawing a distinction between VoltAmps and Watts, so I explained Power factor. I'd never seen power factor mentioned on here until then. 

20 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Ho - ho. Oooh, you are a tease sometimes.

I have been called many things, but I don't remember "lefty" being one of them.