Tail current

Leon 12

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, mross said:

Athy, do you wear sandals with socks?  The world should know!  Are you a beardy, Grauniad-reading Corbynista?

In order:

No

Why?

Yes

Yer joking ain't yer?

What's one of those when it's at home?

I trust that this fully answers your enquiry.

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have been called many things, but I don't remember "lefty" being one of them.

Good point. With your "traditional style" of skoolmastering where you humourously pick people up on their slovenly use of language, I doubt you'd last five minutes in a state skool staff room!

(Eidt to corekt a stray worm.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

11 minutes ago, mross said:

Athy, do you wear sandals with socks?  The world should know!  Are you a beardy, Grauniad-reading Corbynista?

Highly unlikely. That nice Mr Athy tends towards the "hang 'em and flog 'em" politics of proper 1950s skoolmasters, by my assessment!

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Good point. With your "traditional style" of skoolmastering where you humourously pick people up on their slovenly use of language, I doubt you'd last five minutes in a state skool staff room!

(Eidt to corekt a stray worm.)

Doubt away, lad. I taught in state establishments for three years before progressing first to the Berlitz Skool (whoops) of Languages and then to the independent sector.

1 minute ago, mross said:

does that rhyme with Deirdre?

You'll have to ask her.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Doubt away, lad. I taught in state establishments for three years before progressing first to the Berlitz Skool (whoops) of Languages and then to the independent sector.

Ok I accept your korrection. You lasted three years before being driven out. 

I would like to point out a misconception of yours though. I'd not a lad, I'm 61. I'm flattered by how young I must look, given we have met on several occasions.

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok I accept your korrection. You lasted three years before being driven out. 

I would like to point out a misconception of yours though. I'd not a lad, I'm 61. I'm flattered by how young I must look, given we have met on several occasions.

Your first statement is both unkind and wildly inaccurate. I left to take a job with Berlitz with a view to going back to work in France, but for personal reasons I changed my plans.

Where I come from, blokes of all ages address each other as "lad" - just as, in East Derbyshire where I lived more recently, you'll hear very "senior" men calling each other "youth" or "yoath".

Regarding one of your other posts, until recently (when he retired), each time I rang my best friend I would ask him how the hanging and flogging was going - but he was a judge, not a schoolmaster.

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

Your first statement is both unkind and wildly inaccurate.

My apologies. I was intending it as a critisism of the tendency of the state skool system to only employ teachers with lefty politics, not of you.

P.S. even when I was a lad at skool, they never taught me about split infinitives. I still hold it against them. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

My apologies. I was intending it as a critisism of the tendency of the state skool system to only employ teachers with lefty politics, not of you.

Ah, gotcha. My apologies for grasping the wrong end of the stick (probably more common in the independent sector, but that's another story entirely).