Tail current

Leon 12

Featured Posts

Advice needed, tail current to T105 675ah......3 pairs. When I charged them the tail current got to 5 amps. Over a period of hours. Can that tail current damage the batteries. Tail current is 1-3% of c20 which is 6.75 amps if the batteries had formatted upto 100% capacity.  Or is my thinking wrong.......

so what advice would you give.

Also what difference would me changing the interconnects to 70mm sq cable. I have replaced the cables so all cables are now 70 MM sq cable so they are all the same.

No, that tail current won't bother them over a few hours. The time to stop is when the tail current hasn't reduced over a 45 minute period. So if it reads 5.2A and 45 minutes later reads 5.1A then it's probably worth keeping going. 

As for the interconnects the fatter the better. 

The last time I charged it dropped out of bulk within 2 minutes, then the absorption stage took hourssssssssssss. I'm wondering if the new sterling charger I'm going to get will perform better....( if that makes any sense)

46 minutes ago, Leon 12 said:

The last time I charged it dropped out of bulk within 2 minutes, then the absorption stage took hourssssssssssss. I'm wondering if the new sterling charger I'm going to get will perform better....( if that makes any sense)

Unfortunately you've just described exactly what lead acid batteries do. Absorption easily takes 5 or 6 hours and that has to be performed every week. The fact that it takes so long is why so many chargers drop to float too soon as well. 

1 hour ago, Leon 12 said:

That's why newbies to battery management inevitably kill their batteries in a very short time - they think they have charged them, but despite 'instruments' telling them that have reached 100%, or, they think a 'couple of hours is enough' it can take many, many more hours to actually achieve the last few percent.

Use your experience to educate others.

8 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are you charging with a generator?

Charging with just a generator is a Very Bad Idea and the 12v charging output of most gennies is unpredictable but usually low. You NEED to charge with a top quality 240V multistage charger even if the source of the 240v is a genny.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Charging with just a generator is a Very Bad Idea and the 12v charging output of most gennies is unpredictable but usually low. You NEED to charge with a top quality 240V multistage charger even if the source of the 240v is a genny.

He is. That's what he meant. He's charging with a generator feeding a charger. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

He is. That's what he meant. He's charging with a generator feeding a charger. 

I thought so but that's not what he said, and it's one of the mistakes I made early in my boating career. Charged my batteries from the genny 12v output as the manual said that's what it is for!

Just posted it in case someone new here doesn't realise like I didn't. 

Easy mistake to make. I argued with a manufacturer about this when they wanted "... and a twelve volt output for battery charging" putting in a script. I lost the argument. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I thought so but that's not what he said, and it's one of the mistakes I made early in my boating career. Charged my batteries from the genny 12v output as the manual said that's what it is for!

Just posted it in case someone new here doesn't realise like I didn't. 

It was a case of having to,those little Honda E300 Gennies would not run a Transformer type Charger,can't recall a Switch Mode type being available in the Seventy's

E300 was 250 Watts output at 50 HZ AND 300 at 60 HZ

8.3 Amps was all you got!

CT

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would suggest he meant via a battery charger, 100 amps at 15 volts

22 minutes ago, Leon 12 said:

The Honda can produce 100 amp of output at 240 volts.

One of the above comments is correct. One of them is not. 

Who can guess which is which? ;)

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

One of the above comments is correct. One of them is not. 

Who can guess which is which? ;)

They are both correct in the mind of the 'author', and was only an assumption that Leon meant at 15v, and he has again confirmed that he means at 240v

It is this sort of intransigence, based on ignorance, that makes trying to give help such a frustrating business.

59 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They are both correct in the mind of the 'author', and was only an assumption that Leon meant at 15v, and he has again confirmed that he means at 240v

It is this sort of intransigence, based on ignorance, that makes trying to give help such a frustrating business.

Well yes, DC's comment was incorrect insofar as he made an assumption as to what the author meant. Nevertheless, his assumption actually fits the facts and is in fact what the author should have meant whether he did or not.