Water Tank - how big is yours?

Johny London

Featured Posts

Thankyou to those who stated the size of thier Liverpool boat water tank . I ve wondered what size my tank is since i bought it 4 years ago and now i know . I think i ll assume mine s the same size at 600 litres .

Lasts me weeks on my todd . Infact i filled up yesterday so i ll keep an eye on the date when i fill up next

cheers

One of the best purchases I made since buying the boat is a water tank guage.

I no longer start panicking about water after a few days. Now I start panicking when I get to 1/4 of a tank instead. :)

Water lasts easily a couple of weeks on my own which includes washing machine etc all.

Paul

Mine is integral and is about1200lires on a narrow boat. Only leisure use so it lasts months!!

We've got just under 1000 litres in a narrowboat and again its an integral tank (and now done in epoxy).

Integral tanks are out of fashion, new boats all appear to have stainless tanks, but this thread does demonstrate that integral tanks are the best way to get maximum water capacity in a limited space.

The front does rather go up, and the back down, as the tank approaches empty.

We go about 10 days, or 14 if we try hard (two people plus a dog who needs to shower quits often).

The big tank is great, nice long proper showers, leave the tap running while you clean your teeth, and a proper washing machine.

...............Dave

One of the best purchases I made since buying the boat is a water tank guage.

I no longer start panicking about water after a few days. Now I start panicking when I get to 1/4 of a tank instead. smile.png

Water lasts easily a couple of weeks on my own which includes washing machine etc all.

Paul

We have a water tank gauge fitted but very rarely look at it is as we know how often we need to fill up the tank rolleyes.gif

I've a plastic 400 l jobbie. It's not enough. I can get 10 days from it being frugal. Then I have four 25 l drums that I bought from a builders merchant. These are on the front deck filled at the same time as the tank and mean I can go get more water if I need to (if the lass is round).

Basically I think 800 l would do me 2 weeks still being careful with consumption.

I was looking at a getting a fabric tank made, as I can't get out bigger through the front doors than the 400 l.

No idea of the size of our water tank. If we are frugal with water could last a week or more. That is to say, have a bird bath rather than a shower.

We have the advantage of an internal water guage. We get two big, I mean big, bangs as the tank flexes, tells us we have a day left. But we tend to top up at most water points.

When a get the ever desirable 'around tuit' I will fit a clear vertical pipe in the system as an indicator. No electrical usage.

Martyn

No idea of the size of our water tank. If we are frugal with water could last a week or more. That is to say, have a bird bath rather than a shower.

We have the advantage of an internal water guage. We get two big, I mean big, bangs as the tank flexes, tells us we have a day left. But we tend to top up at most water points.

When a get the ever desirable 'around tuit' I will fit a clear vertical pipe in the system as an indicator. No electrical usage.

Martyn

This boat has enough for us for a week which is fine as if ccing we never stay on a mooring for more than 48 hours wherever it is. Problem is its stainless steel like with many boats these days. when we fitted a new hull I specified an integral tank as they use all available space and no worries re tank failure. My old 1981 colecraft is still going strong with original integral tank with limited if any corrosion. I vastly prefer integral but allas this one is stainless.

Some boaters with the bigger tanks "coming forward" now :)

It's looking as though the move to stainless steel tanks has halved the average water tank size. To stay out for a fortnight I would definitely need more than my 500l.

I do have a water gauge - I definitely couldn't stand being without it. Absolutely essential - else one might move off from a great spot before necessary, or worse still run out of water.

Sirweste - I'm in the "same boat" so to speak, my 500 plus three 25l containers - I go onto "emergency rations" nearly every time (ie filling the tank off the containers) and frequently end up wheeling a trolley to the water point or even take the car to go fill up the containers.

Certainly a very wide range of consumption figures here too - mros you are really getting through it!

I wish there were more water points - one on the "way in" to popular moorings and one on the "way out" would work.

I'm sure now that I will do something to increase my capacity - it's not at the top of my to do list but would really make a big difference to life aboard - more baths, not having to scrooge and not constantly planning the next move around watering holes.

Maybe a "liner" in the bow locker, or a carbunkle (water butt) on the well deck.

About a week ago I had a really lucky day. I got the vomiting virus. No, that wasn't the lucky part. The lucky part was that I had just filled up the water tank and emptied the poo tank. I had enough excel and food though that was all of a boring variety but somehow that didn't seem to be a problem. 2 days earlier and I would have been in a very awkward situation.

Typically I'm moored north of a very very high flow water point, so call and fill up my 4 containers on the way back from work. It's a right ballache and easily the most annoying and faffy part of being on the boat.

The liner that I started looking at, and then stopped though lack of time, was a company that made fabric hovercraft "bags". Seemed like the right idea to me, but would need to ensure something about anti bacterial growth or something....

I'm sure the liner is going to be the solution for me, the cavity under the front deck I have yet to measure but I'm sure the volume in there will alomst double the plastic tank volume.

According to the spec when we bought the boat, ours is 1200 litres capacity. It lasts us over 2 weeks and filling it takes about 40 mins with a decent flow.

We haven't got a gauge but we know when it's getting low because the water from the taps turns rusty brown smile.png . Thankfully we only let it get that low once.

We now fill it up about every 2 weeks as a matter of course.

I remember when we used to hire boat, the hire companies always recommended filling up every day which seemed a little over cautious.

Bazza - Tell me more about that liner. Also - interesting about the vent (air admittance valve?) as mine makes a gurgling sound but I can't see where it is. This time when I filled, the tank was not showing fully full.

Ooops missed your post here's who I used for the liner

http://www.duratank.com/

Bazza