White Ensign

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

I am under the impression they are naval owned from what Roger told me. They are or were not owned by Calcutt only serviced and maintained them.

As to flying the Ensign some of the users may not agree with you, have seen them flying it. But hey who is going to argue with the Navy.

That is my understanding too, they are owned by the Navy, or perhaps a service charity, but certainly not Calcutt. The were built by Calcutt and Calcutt operate them for they owners in exactly the same way as they operate their hire boats, except that they always go out on Sundays. They are basically fair weather boaters too, the last week was out was a month ago, they are now tucked up for the winter.

If you have seen one flying an ensign it is the hirers that have done that, the boats are not equipped with one I am certain of that.

In case anyone thinks because it is the Navy that the people come with good boat handling skills, that is not the case, they are as useless/good as any hirers, and being realistic for many this will possible the first boat they have ever been on, and it shows.

That is my understanding too, they are owned by the Navy, or perhaps a service charity, but certainly not Calcutt. The were built by Calcutt and Calcutt operate them for they owners in exactly the same way as they operate their hire boats, except that they always go out on Sundays. They are basically fair weather boaters too, the last week was out was a month ago, they are now tucked up for the winter.

If you have seen one flying an ensign it is the hirers that have done that, the boats are not equipped with one I am certain of that.

In case anyone thinks because it is the Navy that the people come with good boat handling skills, that is not the case, they are as useless/good as any hirers, and being realistic for many this will possible the first boat they have ever been on, and it shows.

I watched a pair leave Calcutt together with an Ensign each who put the Ensign up I have no idea.

A lot of naval types have little or no boat handling skills so that does not surprise me. smile.png

Do you work at Calcutt?

Edited by Geo

The only flag any decent narrowboat should have on board is a Black County one.

JP

Got one, it was points in last years BCN Challenge :)

I watched a pair leave Calcutt together with an Ensign each who put the Ensign up I have no idea.

A lot of naval types have little or no boat handling skills so that does not surprise me. :)

Do you work at Calcutt?

I am certain the hirers would have put it up.

We moor at Calcutt, and often on a Sunday afternoon when we are going back the Navy boats are coming out, so we do lock demonstrations for them, or share with them if they are going down the locks, I have heard all the stories from the Calcutt guys.

Got one, it was points in last years BCN Challenge smile.png

I am certain the hirers would have put it up.

We moor at Calcutt, and often on a Sunday afternoon when we are going back the Navy boats are coming out, so we do lock demonstrations for them, or share with them if they are going down the locks, I have heard all the stories from the Calcutt guys.

Its a nice marina. Has Roger retired yet? I heard a few years ago he was going to.

Edited by Geo

The only flag any decent narrowboat should have on board is a Black County one.

Why?

Phil

JP

Not a serious point Phil. I nearly added 'and then it should only be flown while transiting Netherton Tunnel'. Not really in to flying of flags on narrowboats on canals; for starters there isn't really anywhere proper to fly one and it's 3 mph on a ditch. But at least there is a canal link with the Black Country flag unlike a red or white ensign.

JP

I can argue with the Navy. Made me half deaf, gas turbines, an alcoholic and a bit of wreck regarding my innards.

My opinion of course. Not sure if I'm correct though.

If I was still serving, and hired one of the naval narrowboats, I would have flown the White Ensign.

It is incorrect to fly the white ensign unless a commisioned Royal Naval Ship. Even a warship,once decommissioned, doesn't fly the flag.

Nuff said.

Edited by Nightwatch

I don't think it proper to fly any flag on a narrowboat except a small burgee. And that's a bit dodgy.

Well I fly the Red Ensign on my narrowboat which I am proud to do, why are the British so against flying their flag, unlike the Dutch and French and indeed the Americans..!!!!!

• Greenie 1

Well I fly the Red Ensign on my narrowboat which I am proud to do, why are the British so against flying their flag, unlike the Dutch and French and indeed the Americans..!!!!!

I rather agree. Here's one just before the wind blew it over (the flagpole is attached via a couple of spring clips).

dscf6938.jpg

The British flag is the Union Flag not an Ensign IMO at least.

The Union flag can only be flown by RN ships on the jack staff hence the name Union Jack, British owned vessels fly the Red Ensign

Edited by Dalesman

The Union flag can only be flown by RN ships on the jack staff hence the name Union Jack, British owned vessels fly the Red Ensign

Canal Boats? I doubt anyone is going to split hairs about Flying a Union Flag from a Jack Staff on a Canal Boat and it would mean much more to the general gongoozler than an Ensign.

Coupled with the post I was replying to said "why are the British against flying their flag" an Ensign is not the British Flag it is a flag with a representation of the British flag taking up approximately a quarter.

EDIT: TO add I have never seen a Narrowboat with a Jack Staff.

Edited by Jerra

Not a serious point Phil. I nearly added 'and then it should only be flown while transiting Netherton Tunnel'. Not really in to flying of flags on narrowboats on canals; for starters there isn't really anywhere proper to fly one and it's 3 mph on a ditch. But at least there is a canal link with the Black Country flag unlike a red or white ensign.

JP

I figured that but forgot the smiley.

Phil

Coupled with the post I was replying to said "why are the British against flying their flag" an Ensign is not the British Flag it is a flag with a representation of the British flag taking up approximately a quarter.

Actually, an Ensign (red, white or blue) is the British flag in maritime terms. To fly blue and white you need a charter, red is the one for everyone else. The canal is not really maritime though, is it, so it all becomes a bit of a moot point. Still, if the average Joe wishes to proudly fly his country's flag, a Red Ensign at the stern would probably be the closest to the right thing.

• Greenie 1

I don't really care much what flag people choose to fly but when it comes to the white ensign I always imagine the battle ensign flying gallantly over Jervis Bay as her heart of oak threw her hopelessly against Scharnhorst. You don't hang a tradition like that on a pleasure boat, it's just wrong. Doubly so for serving sailors.

Flag waving has always seemed jingoistic to me. Those roadside cafe's that fly the cross of St George, what are they saying? To me they are saying 'whites only' but I may be wrong.

I have reported myself to the mods in case this post is deemed political.

Edited by mross