Boat break on the shroppy

lesrollins

Featured Posts

As anyone heard of a boat called green swan. I have just had information that it's owner as been breaking into boats on the shroppy apparently they are using an inflatable with an electric outboard. Does anyone know anything thanx

That's a fairly serious accusation to make on a public website - hopefully you have some strong evidence to support that claim.

• Greenie 1

That is true, Alan: Les' post was couched as an enquiry, not an accusation. If you have any proof, Les, I'm sure we would like to hear more - but if not, please be careful NOT to make an actual accusation, as it may upset some people.

That is true, Alan: Les' post was couched as an enquiry, not an accusation. If you have any proof, Les, I'm sure we would like to hear more - but if not, please be careful NOT to make an actual accusation, as it may upset some people.

Not least the owner of the Green Swan, should they happen to be reading!

If i was the owner of the Green Swan I'd be bloody fuming, unless it was true...even then I'd not be happy.

Ian.

Even if I were the owner of Green Swan and it was all true, I'd still feel obliged kick up just as big a fuss as if it were a pack of lies.

I have not made any accusations and I certainly have not named the person on the said boat. I am just asking if anyone had heard anything, as I live on the shroppy I have a good reason to protect my property. To answer your question Junior, the boat was apparently last seen at bridge 21.

As anyone heard of a boat called green swan. I have just had information that it's owner as been breaking into boats on the shroppy apparently they are using an inflatable with an electric outboard. Does anyone know anything thanx

I have not made any accusations and I certainly have not named the person on the said boat. I am just asking if anyone had heard anything, as I live on the shroppy I have a good reason to protect my property. To answer your question Junior, the boat was apparently last seen at bridge 21.

Sorry, but the words in red are definitely read as an accusation!

If the accusation is true then the sooner people know and the thief is apprehended the better. But if it's just based on rumour and hearsay which by its nature might be exaggerated or completely false, then the accusation should not have been posted and the thread should be deleted..

Which is it please Les?

The problem with these sorts of jungle drum comments is that they warn the 'accused' and also make it difficult for the police should they wish to take action. That is leaving aside any activities by 'vigilantes' . It is very common for online 'facts' quickly become here say and down right lies.

Edited by PaddingtonBear
  • Greenie 1

The problem with these sorts of 'vigilante' comments is that they warn the 'accused' and also make it difficult for the police should they wish to take action. That is leaving aside any activities by 'vigilantes' .

The problem with the police is the whole "should they wish to take action" thing.

By and large the police aren't going to wish to take action, so whilst stopping short of vigilante action the general public needs to take appropriate preventative action themselves.

'Have I got news for you' would have slipped the word "allegedly" in there somewhere. Dunno whether that does much here, but a warning that someone on a canal is thieving is a wee bit broad brush to be of much help to potential victims. I'd not like to see people being falsely accused, but if I was a potential target of a thief I'd want to know the detail. It's a conundrum, eh?

Last year when we were on the Shroppie I was informed of a likely pair of chancers, possibly stealing from fellow boaters.

It made me very much aware and to keep my wits about me. This sort of info is always welcome.

Naming a boat, is, I think a bit risky in public. However, to KNOW someone is nicking stuff (is one thing that is difficult to prove)but individuals local to such happenings are aware it's happening and by whom.

Spread the word privately, would be my advice.

If the accusation is true then the sooner people know and the thief is apprehended the better. But if it's just based on rumour and hearsay which by its nature might be exaggerated or completely false, then the accusation should not have been posted and the thread should be deleted..

Which is it please Les?

The thing is, all boaters are concerned not to have their stuff nicked, so a warning that stuff is going missing regularly in a particular area is always A Good Thing as we can then take particular care not to leave things lying about or leave our boats unattended in secluded places.

When the 'particular area' turns out to be 'near a particular boat', then it gets trickier. What if taking extra care of our stuff when the suspect boat is around leads to nothing getting nicked?

Remember the 'camouflage boat' which gained a similar reputation?

I really don't see how unless you are the owner of a boat called Green Swan that anyone has any legitimate reason to get worked up about this thread.

Getting offended on here on behalf of others is a long-held tradition, don't forget.

Hopefully Mr Green Swan will turn up shortly and put his side of the case.

The thing is, all boaters are concerned not to have their stuff nicked, so a warning that stuff is going missing regularly in a particular area is always A Good Thing as we can then take particular care not to leave things lying about or leave our boats unattended in secluded places.

When the 'particular area' turns out to be 'near a particular boat', then it gets trickier. What if taking extra care of our stuff when the suspect boat is around leads to nothing getting nicked?

Remember the 'camouflage boat' which gained a similar reputation?

Getting offended on here on behalf of others is a long-held tradition, don't forget.

Hopefully Mr Green Swan will turn up shortly and put his side of the case.

If a boat of that name actually exists - we can't find any trace of it on the boat listings!

As mods we've not intervened. Personally I would have been happier if the original post had said something along the lines of "facebook groups are reporting thefts in [name of location], linked to the presence of a particular boat: Is there any truth in this? Does anyone know more?

Given I've been leaving my boat unattended a lot recently I would have welcomed a poster saying "lock up your solar panels in... " if it was somewhere I was leaving Lutine. On the other hand, if someone would have wanted to pinch the whole boat, I don't think I'd have had to go far to find them wink.png