Jack Frost

Greylady2

Featured Posts

Does the team think it's bad form to navigate when the cut is frozen over? Perhaps it's OK when the ice is thin. Where do you draw the line. I'm sure the moaners don't complain about the fuel boats!

No

I have cruised with 25mm/50mm of ice and going gently it did no damage. The damage if any to moored boats is I believe caused just by people moving about on them, the boat is continually moving in the ice and rubbing against the ice.

I think one of the major things is not to take bends sharply, it pushes the outside side of the boat into the ice edge.

That's the biggest problem, going round corners

Thank you.

Hells teeth you must be old I'm 70 and used C all the way through school and we went metric in 74 so only the years between training and 74 (6) where I used F.

40 years ago we had our first frost in early September so not historically early for me.

I did F at school but I am younger than you

Just checked my boat. Lowest outside temp -8.7°C, lowest inside temp +1.8°C.

Coventry Canal lightly frozen.

Cold on the Oxford today my car parked next to canal showing minus 6 the thermometer in the boat showing plus 26.7 biggrin.png Now I wonder what temperature it is in my sisters house? laugh.png . Think I better open the bottom vent on the fire later.

There's a heavy frost in the Fens this morning, building on yesterday's which, in spots which the sunshine couldn't reach, lasted all day. Well Creek does not look frozen - though I have not actually gone down the garden and prodded it to make sure. So all the boats should be able to pass freely (people who know the Middle Level will appreciate the joke - the last boat I saw moving in Upwell was about a week ago).

On a bit of a tangent. on Saturday I noticed that the odd floating-garden-shed craft, which I think featured in another thread on here, was still (or once again) moored on the public staithe at Downham Market.

Cold on the Oxford today my car parked next to canal showing minus 6 the thermometer in the boat showing plus 26.7 :D Now I wonder what temperature it is in my sisters house? :lol: . Think I better open the bottom vent on the fire later.

Yeahbut my boat isn't a liveaboard and only heated by a couple of oil filled rads controlled by a plug in thermostat set to 4°C.

Completely iced over this morning on the North Oxford.

Great shots Matty.

That must be the last aeriel standing at the old Rugby Radio Station. I designed a replacement HV installation for there back in the late 80's, but the project was stillborn due to budgetary cuts.

The message to sink the Belgrano was sent from that radio station.

Great shots Matty.

That must be the last aeriel standing at the old Rugby Radio Station. I designed a replacement HV installation for there back in the late 80's, but the project was stillborn due to budgetary cuts.

The message to sink the Belgrano was sent from that radio station.

Umpty-ump years ago a mate of mine was passing Rugby with his dad:

Kid: Daddy, what are all those aerials for?

Father: That's where all the television programmes come from son

Kid: What are the little aerials for?

Father (after a short pause): They're for Children's Television.

• Greenie 2

Umpty-ump years ago a mate of mine was passing Rugby with his dad:

Kid: Daddy, what are all those aerials for?

Father: That's where all the television programmes come from son

Kid: What are the little aerials for?

Father (after a short pause): They're for Children's Television.

:) :) :)

Edited to add emoticons, that mysteriously disappeared after I had posted.

Edited by cuthound

Excellent, Mr. Ever! Have a greeno.

I seem to recall that the agglomeration of aerials was called the "Rugby Repeater". I too noticed this year that just one remains standing; perhaps it is a preserved example?

Edited by Athy

Spent the night on the visitor's mooring at Hopwas on the Coventry, and woke to find the Coventry frozen.

We set off at 10:00 a.m. going towards Fradley. It was horrendously noisy - bit like a group of tractor hedge trimmers in a field. The ice was various thickness from just about frozen, to being about 1 cm on open parts of the canal. We cruised for about 2 miles breaking up the ice, until we met another boat coming towards us.... great!

It wasn't until we reached Streethay Wharf did the canal look almost thawed.

post-26819-0-75739400-1480529229_thumb.jpg

How's your blacking around the waterline looking?

Don't know until tomorrow, it was late when we moored up as we're 'on a mission' to get to our destination. We did have a bit of a domestic, I wanted to reschedule our appointment, staying where we were until it thawed (as promised by the weather forecast) but 'He indoors' said it will be fine! If there's any damage I'll be able to say "told you so!"

Spent the night on the visitor's mooring at Hopwas on the Coventry, and woke to find the Coventry frozen.

We set off at 10:00 a.m. going towards Fradley. It was horrendously noisy - bit like a group of tractor hedge trimmers in a field. The ice was various thickness from just about frozen, to being about 1 cm on open parts of the canal. We cruised for about 2 miles breaking up the ice, until we met another boat coming towards us.... great!

It wasn't until we reached Streethay Wharf did the canal look almost thawed.

attachicon.gif41.jpg

Sounds a bit like my couple of days last week.

I did daylight to sunset pretty much, blacking was fine.

Stayed on Idle throughout the cruise though.

• Greenie 1

Sounds a bit like my couple of days last week.

I did daylight to sunset pretty much, blacking was fine.

Stayed on Idle throughout the cruise though.

Yes, we were on idle, except where the ice was at the thickest and on a bend, boat needed extra revs to get us round. Interesting experience.

Got onto to T & M at Fradley to discover it was full of leaves, but thawed. Resulting in losing propulsion, a bit of a scary time was in a lock without any reverse. We did stop to fish around in the weed hatch, but there wasn't anything big except leaves.

Picked up a tip from an experiences boater, forward and reverse a couple of times, but wait a few seconds between each gear change for the gathered leaves to sink. Simple but very effective tip.

Think I'd rather have the ice, than the fluffy leaves.

Don't know until tomorrow, it was late when we moored up as we're 'on a mission' to get to our destination. We did have a bit of a domestic, I wanted to reschedule our appointment, staying where we were until it thawed (as promised by the weather forecast) but 'He indoors' said it will be fine! If there's any damage I'll be able to say "told you so!"

Jennifer, may I suggest when the cut is frozen and the ice is making turns a pain or even when it will. Go straight ahead into the ice in the outside of the bend, break that ice, reverse and gently do the turn, the ice being broken will allow the stern to come round and you to turn. The boat breaks ice better going straight at it.

• Greenie 1